I'm about 34, have a wife and two kids. For living I understand WordPress.
I'm a bit of a Finnish board game scene busybody: I translate games, write a lot on the Finnish Board Game Society forums, have a game blog (called Gameblog
) since 2002 and I also run the biggest Finnish board game site, Lautapeliopas
.My taste in games
– I prefer bland and calculating euro games to colourful and aggressive ameritrash.
– Shorter games rather than longer games, but that's mostly because that's what I get to play more often.
– I loathe conflict and excessive take that games - to me in an ideal game the game state can never go backwards, but must progress all the time
– I don't like double guessing or games that unjustly destroy what I build (In the Year of the Dragon
is a good example, then again I love Age of Steam
for its brutality - it doesn't destroy what I've built).
– Since I play lots of games with my eight-year-old son, I really like clever casual or family games. Language indepence is a great feature.
– Trains are always a good theme for a game.My Top 100 listMikko's top 100 — 2014 editionTop 10 and Hot 10
My Top 10 list is my all-time top 10 hot games, Hot 10 is the hottest games in the last year. Both are calculated using Matthew Gray's hot games metric and updated every now and then.My rating scale
I'm using this rating scale:
: I'm enthusiastic about this game, would suggest it just about any time and really like it (9-10).
: This is a good game and I like playing it. I wouldn't turn it down and if I'm in the mood, I'll suggest it (7-8).
: Not bad, but I'm not terribly keen on playing this game. If somebody else wants to play, I can play, if there's nothing better available (5-6).
: I'd rather not play this game; either I think it's a bad game or it's just something I don't like at all (1-4).
The point where these verbal ratings have most significance is the border between 6 and 7, and I use these ratings as a guideline for choosing the correct rating. So, a 6 may be a decent game, but it's something I personally don't want to play. 7 is something I don't really need to own or anything, but thinking about playing the game does not fill me with dread.Achievement unlocked 14.8.2014: 1000 BGG ratings