Now that I've played something like 500 different games, I have a rough idea of what I like (and don't like) when it comes to board games:
What I don't
- Abstract games (gotta have a theme!)
- Feld-type euros (theme's gotta be relevant & present.. These are just abstract games in a not-so-subtle disguise!)
- Train games
- Negotiation games
- Light weight or "family" games
- filler games
- Lotsa different lil chits/counters (a la
- Games that last more than 3 hours
- Collectible games (card, miniature, or LCG-style)
What I do
- War games -- but, they must either have a low chit/counter density, or minis (or similar)
- Empire building games
- Economic games with an R&D element
- Space/sci-fi themes, Viking themes, & games set in Antiquity
- Games that mix euro (esp. economic) and wargame elements
- High replay value in games
- Unique games (theme-wise, or gameplay-wise)
Also worth noting:
- If a game is just listed as 'want in trade'
really want it, but might be open to considering it.
- If a game is listed as 'want to play'
interested, but might have reservations.
- If a game is listed on my 'wishlist'
-If something is listed on my actual 'wishlist'
, I really
want and would be very interested in working out a trade. Also note
- If I've listed a game as 'for trade
' and 'previously owned'
, I want to get rid of it. Whereas if it's listed as 'for trade
' and 'owned
', I may be incline to get rid of it, but part of me still wants to keep it. Hot List:
I'm using the 'hot 10' and 'top 10' lists to track the following: The 'hot 10' lists my favorite 5 new-to-me games played in the last year (2015), and the 'top 10' lists the next 10 games I'm likely to buy. Kickstarter Blacklist:
(i.e. do not KS these companies)
- Queen's Games
- Radiant/Valley Games
- Eagle-Gryphon Games Personal Geeklists (I haven't updated these in a while): If I Was a Satisficers, I Would Still Have These GamesGames I Regret Getting Rid of
I've entered hundreds and hundreds of official contests on BGG. I have yet to win any. But, I have won a number of "unofficial" contests:
- The Pressure Point Contest (Thanks Brad Fuller!)
- 4G April 2014 Giveaway (Thanks Stephen Eckman!)
- The Support Needed Giveaway (Thanks Jamie S!)