I've been gaming since a young age. My first recallable board game memories are of Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
. In junior high, I discovered Chess
. In high school I mostly played RPGs, although there were a few nights of Risk
. I fell out of gaming after high school. Well, I still played video games and it wasn't until my obsession with all things Blizzard and World of Warcraft brought me to buy WarCraft: The Board Game
and World of Warcraft: The Boardgame
that I really started board gaming again.
Now, I have a pretty sweet game collections, host a bi-weekly game night, and am looking to play more.My five absolute favorite games.The last five games I played. (I only started tracking Jan 1, 2016.)Some games I'm itching to play.Some random games/expansions from my collection.Some games/expansions I'm looking into and/or thinking about buying.Kickstarter
Ok. I'll admit it here. I might have a Kickstarter problem. That's the first step right? Admitting it? Now on to the other steps. What? Cool Mini or Not just released another game on Kickstarter ... ... ... ... ... Well @#$%!My favorite local game store.
There's only really one option in Ottawa in my opinion - The Comic Book Shoppe
. They have two locations, their staff is friendly and if you're only looking for one game they're prices are usually comparable to the online stores if you include shipping. If you're looking to buy more than one game though I'd recommend going online.
Some notes about some other Ottawa game stores:
1. Wizard's Tower
- The customer service is good and they almost always have a sale of some sort going on but, for me, their location is fairly remote.
2. Fandom II
- I've heard the staff and prices are better these days but given the horrible experiences I've had in the past I'm never shopping here again.My favorite online game store.
With the cheapest shipping price ($8.95 per shipment or free at $150) I know of in Canada, 401 Games
is my go to online store. The game prices themselves tend to be lower than or on par with other online retailers.
If a game I want isn't available at 401 Games
I usually check the following stores: Meeplemart
, Great Boardgames
and Starlit Citadel
. If I haven't found it at any of these stores then I'll head over to eBay
or the BGG Geek Market
and hope the price isn't too ridiculous.My favorite 'Pimp My Game' sites
I know I don't need every promo or game upgrade kit out there but I'm a little OCD about having everything for my game, and trying to store it all in one box if possible.
1. BoardGameGeek Store
- game promos are always being released here and the price is often much cheaper than the BoardGameGeek market and/or eBay.
2. The Broken Token
- There are a few companies putting out box organizers now, and you can always create one yourself using foam core, but The Broken Token versions are awesome.
- Meeples, meeples and more meeples! And game resources! Thanks to Meeplesource my friends copy of Lords of Waterdeep is the likely the slickest in town.I also enjoy video games.(At some point I'll get around to updating my VideoGameGeek collection)