BoardGameGeek In The News
- Directopedia: Board Games Connecting various articles from across the web (often from Wikipepia), Directopedia has over 50 links to BGG (along with a short site description) from its various board gaming entries.
- Challenges for Game Designers This book (published in 2008) shows how video game designers can incorporate ideas from board games and RPGs into their own virtual creations. BoardGameGeek is mentioned no less than 6 times (on pages 28, 66, 106, 198, 252, and 255), usually advising readers to use the BGG database to examine various game mechanics.
- Computers and Games Published in 2007, this book constituting "the thoroughly refereed post-proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Computers and Games, CG 2006, held in Turin, Italy, May 29-31, 2006 co-located with the 14th World Computer-Chess Championship and the 11th Computer Olympiad" deals with artificial intelligence. BGG is listed as a source for information on the game Can't Stop. The link shows the BoardGameGeek reference in it from an Amazon.com search.
- Illustrator CS3 Bible Published in 2007, this web graphics book features an ad which, along with the box art, was created using the "Illustrator" program for the game Start Player. The ad makes a joke reference about BGG. The link shows the BoardGameGeek reference in it from an Amazon.com search.
- Alexa: BoardGameGeek Traffic Analysis This is a graphical analysis of BGG website traffic. Note: There are many disclaimers to this data such as "The traffic data are based on the set of toolbars that use Alexa data, which may not be a representative sample of the global Internet population."
- WebsiteOutlook This interesting website estimates BGG's value at over one quarter of a million dollars with yearly banner ad revenues in six figures.
Many of the articles on this page mention BGG only in passing. The point in including them is to show their cumulative effect: When the subject is board games, news and magazine organizations turn to BoardGameGeek for quotes and information.
There are several BGG news articles that this page does not link to since the publishers charge money to access their archives. This page also avoids BGG mentions in gamer blogs and other board game websites (unless the article is unusual or written by someone noteworthy) as there are too many to keep accurate track of.