Each game may have a "representative image". This is the default image which will be used (in thumbnail form) when the game is presented in lists, gallery view and is the image that appears at the top of the game entry.
In the "Images" section of the game entry, images may be nominated to be used as the representative image. The community decides whether to accept this nomination via GeekMod. If it is declined, it cannot be proposed as a representative image again. What should constitute an appropriate "representative image" has been an issue of some contention (see Representative Images and What Makes a Good Representative Image?), however the majority of the accepted images depict either the game box, components laid out in a recognizable manner even when viewed as a thumbnail or both.
You can also set a personal representative image to show up in your collection, recently played widget, etc, by double-clicking the Version field in the User Information section of the game's page, then entering the image id.
To propose an image as representative for a game entry:
- Go to the Images section of the game entry.
- Click on the Browse>> button to bring up the gallery view.
- Find the image you want to propose as representative, and click the More... button underneath it
- In the box that opens, click the Propose Representative Image button
- The image will be proposed to GeekMod, and it will be set at the Representative image when it passes.
To propose an image as representative for a version entry:
The system is set to make the first image associated with a version the representative image, whether this is linked to the version in the versions submission process, or the first image linked to the version after the version is approved. In this way, a representative image can be set by merely linking an image to the version.
- If the image you wish to set as representative is not already linked to the version, you must first link the image.
- Go to the page for the image (i.e. /image/#####/gamename)
- Click Add Version Link in the boxes to the left of the image.
- Select the Version from the list, and Submit.
- Await the approval of the linkage via GeekMod.
- Go to the Version page (/boardgameversion/####/version nickname)
- Click "Browse # Images" under the current representative image.
- Click the More... button under the image you wish to submit as representative.
- Fill in a note in the dialog box that pops up, and click o.k.
- If the proposal passes Data GeekMod, it will be the new representative image for the version.