• War on Terror Coming?
• iDixit Update
• FITS Coming Soon
• Puerto Rico in Beta Testing
• Catan Updated Again
• EveryGame Updated to Version 2.0
• Army of Frogs Releasing July 22
• Reiner Knizia's Money Updated
• War on Terror Coming? - June 2
Some of you may have been around long enough to remember the 2006 tempest in a teacup that was brought on by Terrorbull Games's release of War on Terror. This was well before the the more serious game by GMT of similar namesake. TerrorBull posted to their blog in June (yeah, we missed it too) that an iOS app was in the works. Evidently three different developers have told the TerrorBull guys that it would be impossible. Yet, a year and half in, the originators of the board game balaclava are not dissuaded. We'll see!
• iDixit Updated - July 12
I'll be honest, I'm pulling for Toboco and iDixit. I really like the print game and believe they have an entertaining and novel idea for an app...when it works. I've already spilled enough ink about that and am curious as anyone to see how they will pull out of the nosedive they took at launch. I also think that the improvements to Game Center in iOS 5 that will happen in the Fall could possibly be the savior for many iOS board game apps with less than responsive online play experiences. Time will tell.
In the meantime, Toboco has issued an update to their beleaguered app, one which could possibly improve the app's reputation among the 20k+ downloaders for this app. Here's the latest:
More than 20 000 downloads, thanks all of you for your support!
1.0.2 out now, the ghost players update
- only players ready to play are displayed when creating or joining a game
- notification sent to all players when someone leaves, then game is cancelled
- when a player sends iDixit to background mode, he has 7 minutes to get back in game before being kicked
1.1 under progress (scheduled august 2011)
- chat module while in lobby and in game
- speed selection of game: blitz, normal and slow
- leavers will be flagged
- game will go on if someone disconnects, as long as 4 players stay in game
• FITS Coming Soon - July 14
Tribeflame tweeted late last week that Reiner Knizia's FITS is now being reviewed by the Doctor himself. They hope to send it to Apple soon afterwards.
• Puerto Rico in Beta Testing, Coming Soon - July 14
A relatively new poster at TouchArcade.com going only by the name of Ravensburger has posted some screenshots and a request for pre-launch beta testers for the highly anticipated app implementation for Puerto Rico. A nearly identical thread by new user RavenburgerDigital was also posted right here on BGG. In the original post Ravensburger speaks of "high expectations" and "making the best game possible". Indeed!
If I were to speculate, and I will, I would guess that Puerto Rico does not release in July as previously stated by Codito, if only because Ravensburger has now stepped up front and center calling the app Puerto Rico by Ravensburger, and because July 2011 was Codito's release schedule, and not necessarily Ravensburger's. Also, just starting semi-open beta testing could add some time as well, not to mention the time between submission of app and release. Of course I could be wrong and I hope that I am, but why get my hopes up? And everyone seems to be waiting with baited breath, thinking "take the time you need, just get it right."
We've recently seen a couple of excellent launches (Ticket to Ride and subsequent quick update, and Ascension) and its clear what getting out of the gate on the right foot can bring to the success of a game. Here's hoping that Ravensburger gets it right too.
Here are some screenshots:
• Catan Updated Again - July 15
It would appear that Catan was updated yet again by USM late last week to version 2.1.2. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting just a little confused, but here's the latest:
- Fixed UI settings, message windows will no longer appear partially off screen after updating directly from 2.0 to 2.1.1
- Revised achievement triggers
- Restored campaign progress
- New cheat code: In the campaign mode go to select player and enter „CatanWarp*“ (* = 1–15) as your player name and confirm. Exit the game via the home button and restart it. The campaign can now be continued from the specified level number (1–15). Levels up to the specified number will be unlocked in the custom game mode as well.
- Various smaller optimizations
Already bought the seafarers expansion and it is locked after updating to 2.1.X? Don’t worry; your initial purchase is already saved in your iTunes account. However for technical reasons you have to select “Buy” again. Confirm and an iTunes message will tell you that you’ve already purchased it and that you can re-download for free. You will NOT be billed twice!
iPhone - http://itunes.apple.com/app/catan/id335029050?uo=4&mt=8&at=1...
iPad - http://itunes.apple.com/app/catan-hd/id390422167?uo=4&mt=8&a...
• EveryGame 2.0 Released - July 15
App designer, Nathaniel Dirksen, has posted that EveryGame, the app that allows you to construct and move digital board game components for tablet-based play, has been updated to version 2.0 in a huge release which includes
Nathaniel Dirksen wrote:
* Bluetooth hands
* Play-by-email improvements
* Much greater Easy-Game-Maker flexibility (tabs and decks of cards)
* New display options to make piece display more useful and appealing
* New actions to cycle between sets of sides or rotations
* User defineable sounds for actions
* Many more small improvements
Nathaniel is most excited about Bluetooth hands, a feature that allows people to use iPhones or iPads to view their hands, leaving the first iPad on the table to represent the main board. I've called this "console mode" myself, but I like the visual I get with "Bluetooth hands".
• Army of Frogs Releasing on July 22 - July 18
The guys at Big Daddy's Creations have finally emerged from the relative quiet of their primordial pond to let us all know that Army of Frogs is coming on July 22nd! In a rare blog post for their very attractive web site BDC goes straight to the heart of the matter, highlighting that the app will be released both for iPhone and Universal priced at $1.99 and $4.99 respectively, will support 2-4 players in Pass & Play, will have asynchronous online multiplayer, a first for BDC and feature 6 different AI opponents.
This is surely good news for the participants of our recent poll, who's biggest category of agreement was over the desire to have varying and challenging AI/computer opponents for solo play. And certainly, time-strapped users wanting to play against human opponents should be just as happy to hear about async. We're certainly excited for all of it!
And one more thing about the release of both an iPhone and Universal app rather than an iPhone and iPad app. How smart is that?! BDC seem to be making a good bet that enough iPad owners are also using smaller iOS devices as well while still serving iPhone/iPod owners who most likely make up the lion's share of devices and leaving the decision which to get to the users. Seems a pretty shrewd strategy to me.
Here are some more shots:
Hey, and a promo video too:
• Reiner Knizia's Money Updated - July 15
We here at iOS Board Games just never get tired of talking about Reiner Knizia's Money. We'd like to think he has a lot of it. Skotos, who just might hold the record for licensing Knizia games for iOS, has trued up the game mechanics to the actual print game rules and made some other improvements in the update to version 1.40:
There are now fewer currencies in games with less than five players (per official rules). iPad users may now move to High Society and Kingdoms games via icons on menu. (Others will become available as we update them). French and German users will now find localizations for those languages.