The rwinder(rwinder)United States
MarylandImage courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
One of my favorite and most useful LEGO creations is my card and chit holder for the game Arkham Horror and its many components. The first iteration was designed to handle up to the Black Goat of the Woods. It was then extended to accommodate Innsmouth Horror.
Here's what these versions looked like:
Lurker was not too hard to sort of force into the existing setup, but with Miskatonic, the size of some of the stacks and the variety of some of the components has required some reinvention on my part as you can probably tell by my first attempt to just throw the new chits and cards into the rack.
In particular, those Mythos and Other World encounter stacks are getting pretty out of control.
Still my first thought was to try to address the fact that the small deck stacks are getting too big too and some are just hidden in inappropriate groups (such as Quachil-Uttaus dust cards buried in the Blessing/Status stack). So for my first reorganization to address all the content growth in Arkham, I decided a new LEGO rack was in order. Something that could at least hold the cards below (including the Personal Stories, which I had currently kept in box ... my weak excuse for that being I tend to play with custom characters when playing multiplayer and only play one investigator at a time when soloing in my current attempt to play through all the characters in a series of games loosely blogged on Twitter).
The final product doesn't really resemble the layout I planned. I decided the new Miskatonic student/alum cards should be a part of the big status deck (which includes things like Blessings, retainers, lodge memberships, etc.). I also decided that the personal stories were just too big a deck to work on this rack and I was fine with them being in the box anyway (but of course I'll have to devise a solution for them eventually).
I also decided to migrate the final battle cards into a slot here and then split the huge mythos deck into two decks on the red rack. I also decided this was a good time to move the special monster tokens (Masks, riots, etc.) to their own wells and the Deep One Rising chits too. With the extra space, I managed to fit in the new agent tokens, the revised tCotDP tokens, and the lurker tokens on the original rack.
It's a modest addition that was a pretty quick job, so I doubt I'll keep it forever. It's rather blocky-looking compared to the other racks since I don't have any green slopes on hand (they all got used up in my Descent Dice Tower), but it does still have the nice sleek look due to all those green tiles I bought at one point. I think it might look better with black tile trim as the other two racks both have that, but I need some more black tiles to make that work.
The whole set-up is far from over. The Other World encounters still are too tall as are the status stack of small cards and the spell deck (both of which I could shrink if I removed the original Dark Pharaoh cards after adding the new ones. (But I want 'em all in there!)
Sadly, I am afraid that I might be nearing the point where I will have to break this down and redesign. It's become such a space hog that despite how nice it looks, I can think of ways that could shrink the overall space by about half. So to be continued in Part II when I get the time to do more LEGO building...
For those who want to see my other LEGO creations: