W. Eric Martin
Canadian publisher Filosofia – which publishes games in French and licenses editions in English, German and other languages – has released a publishing schedule for 2011. The titles are a mix of new and new-to-French. Here's the breakdown, with info on the new titles when possible:
• Le Secret de Monte Cristo – coming in German from eggertspiele and in English from Z-Man Games.
• Spring Fever, from Friedemann Friese – here's a summary of the game play as described on TricTrac: The game consists of a deck of cards with flowers (valued at 3) and snails (valued -1 to -10). The first player draws four cards, keeps what he claims is the lowest valued card, then passes the cards to the left. This player draws a card, keeps the lowest (wink wink) card, then passes the rest. If a player believes his neighbor cheated, he calls him out; if correct, the liar gets all the snails in the card going around, while losing his best card to the accuser. Most points wins. (3-6 players, 8+, 20 minutes)
• Carcassonne: Comte, roi et brigand (extension #6)
• Carcassonne: Édition 10e anniversaire
• Fortunes de Mer (aka, Merchants & Marauders)
• Les Princes de Catane (aka, The Rivals for Catan)
• Dominion: Abondance (aka, Cornucopia)
• Mégawatts: Extension Russie/Japon (aka, the new Power Grid expansion)
• Bratva – described as follows in the Filosofia catalog: "Take control of neighborhoods in Moscow in fights without mercy or without a care for where your shots fall. Secret agents, car bombs, internal crises – lying is your best weapon." (3-6 players, 8+, 30 minutes)
• El Grande: La Totale – a French version of Rio Grande's "Decennial Edition" that contains all the expansions to date.
Games without dates
• Equilibrion – described as follows in the catalog: "In this game full of poetry, you must find the best balance possible in the different quarters of an imaginary city – but beware of the impending chaos that could turn everything upside-down." (1-2 players, 12+, 90 minutes)
• Les Piliers de la Terre: Le Jeu de Cartes
• Panthéon – the new Bernd Brunnhofer design from Hans im Glück (2-5 players, 12+, 90 minutes)