W. Eric Martin
• The third edition of Richard Sivél's Friedrich – the anniversary edition that includes updated images and minor changes to the game board – should be available in North America in April 2012 via Rio Grande Games.
• Designer Michał Oracz explains the origin of Neuroshima Hex! Steel Police on the Wydawnictwo Portal website.
• Canadian publisher Le Scorpion Masqué will release Le Course des Étoiles in May 2012, this being a French version of Andreas Pelikan's Monster auf der Flucht. In the game, each player is secretly responsible for one of the monsters racing back to the home planet – but you don't want to be first to touch down as that scores you nothing. (Presumably the surface contains germs that will feast on the first arrival and leave everyone else alone.)
• In the category of "overlooked at the time" comes a note from designer Andreas Steiger on March 8, 2012 that "Kosmos is already working on [an English edition of Targi], but I don't know the release date yet."
• And in the category of "wish I had images to accompany this item" comes word of a new card game called Tentacle Bento from Soda Pop Miniatures that's due out Q3 2012. SPM showed off the game at GAMA Trade Show in mid-March, and here's a brief description from retailer The Castle's Ramparts: "It's an anime-themed trick-taking card game with more than a touch of hentai to it. Each player is a monster tasked with capturing Japanese school girls, and the more girls the better. After the fourth event card in the deck turns up, the game ends and the player with the most girls wins."
In one of his GAMA reports, Trask at LivingDice.com notes, "The goal is to accumulate sets of cards and if you assemble a set that is all the same color, you get more points. I created a set that included 'the locker room', 'a chemistry student' and 'neko-neko'. (Which translates to 'Cat-Cat', so I am not quite sure what that means...it just sounds kinky.)" Here's a pic of game images on SPM's Facebook page.
• Seth Hiatt at Mayday Games says that Eaten By Zombies!: In Cahoots, which is both a two-player standalone game and an expansion for Eaten by Zombies! will launch on Kickstarter before the end of March 2012 and should be available in June 2012.
• New items added to the BGG database in the past day or two – some of which I've already covered on BGGN – include Conquest of Planet Earth: Apocalypse (Flying Frog Productions), Last Night on Earth: Blood in the Forest (Flying Frog Productions), Four Taverns (Rather Dashing Games), Cartes sur Table (Le Scorpion Masqué), and Exodus: Proxima Centauri (NSKN Legendary Games)
• This post's Kickstarter oddity is Velociraptor! Cannibalism!, a six-designer creation that has far surpassed its $4k Kickstarter goal. Here's a brief game description:
Based on a crude understanding of natural selection, Velociraptor! Cannibalism! puts you in the role of a young, eager, and bright-eyed heartless killer. As a velociraptor, you must find prey, survive environmental disaster, mutate, and steal the bodies of your enemies.
You play a velociraptor that grafts new body parts onto itself, mutating your creature in bizarre, horrifying, and hilarious ways. New body parts increase your food requirements, better parts costing more calories. Explore the jungle to find food, and reproduce or mutate further in times of plenty. Attack your opponents to steal their parts or children. Avoid going hungry at all costs.
The most fruitful Velociraptor will win the day.
A Bizarro World Phil Eklund design, it seems. (KS link)