I'm Director of Online Marketing for North Star Games, as well as an avid game designer and business strategy nerd. I'm also a former neurobiologist and former co-Founder of Move38.
- Winner, Concours International de Créateurs de Jeux de Société, 2007
- Finalist, 1000 Year Game Design Challenge, 2010
- Finalist, Mensa, 2015
- Winner, Best Combinatorial Game Award, BGG, 2015
- Winner, Best Combinatorial Game Award, BGG, 2017
- Winner, Best Combinatorial Game Award, BGG, 2018
My current favorites among my own designs are:
I'm also a developer on the following games:
Design practice and principles:
- My goal is not to design games that make you exclaim "How did he think of that?", but rather "Why didn't I think of that?"
- My favorite kinds of games to design are: 2p strategy games with minimal rules, and multiplayer party games
- Focus on generating emergent complexity from simple, intuitive rules
- I like singular, easy-to-visualize goals
- I'm crazy for hexagons
- I emphasize direct interaction in strategy games
- I value mechanics that allow for big, game-changing turns in strategy games
- Except in special cases, I like to design games that aren't like others, rather than improve on preexisting concepts.
- When designing starting from theme, I focus on elegant simulations
- Lately I favor designs that seem fairly tactical at first, but which become more evidently strategic with experience.