J.W. Spear & Sons was founded in Fürth, near Nuremberg, Germany, in 1879.
- In 1932, the company opened a factory in Britain, and gradually moved their productions from their German factory, which was eventually destroyed during World War II.
- During WWII, there was a forced sale of the German branch of Spear's Games to Hanns Porst, owner of the photo shop chain Photo Porst. It was now called Porst-Spiel.
After the war, the company (which has been partially destroyed by the war) was returned to the widows of Hermann Spears and Richard Spear. The Nuremberg publisher acted as a subsidiary of the main English branch. (Source: Wikipedia)
- In 1994, the company was acquired by Mattel, which absorbed its assets and brands into its own line of products.
A nice history of the company with many photographs of their games is presented in the book Miscellaneous Game Book.