2006 Online Canadian Retailers Price Comparison Guide
In alphabetical order, here are the ten Canadian online retailers compared, with their shipping rates:
1. boardgames.ca - free over $140
2. drexollgames.com - $10 flat rate
3. fungamescafe.com - free over $200 (otherwise $10-15)
4. germangames.com - $8 flat rate
5. jjcards.com - free over $150 ($100 in Ontario)
6. jogocanada.com - free over $150
7. levalet.com - $5 flat rate
8. meeplemart.com - $15 flat rate
9. rainydaygames.ca - free over $200
10. yourgamesdomain.com – $12 flat rate
Some overall conclusions and ratings, from the cheapest to the most expensive retailers:
Price Ratings - on a scale of 1 (worst) to 5 (best)
5 star - yourgamesdomain.com - easily the cheapest prices, but a small selection of games only
4 star - fungamescafe.com, germangames.com, jjcards.com, meeplemart.com - the prices of all four retailers are very competitive and consistently cheap, although MeepleMart doesn't have quite the same range of games. Note that JJ Superstore has a much larger selection than what is listed online - email the owner for an electronic catalogue. All of these retailers offer good service and can be recommended.
3 star - rainydaygames.ca - prices are slightly higher, but still quite reasonable
2 star - levalet.com, boardgames.ca, jogocanada.com - good selection, but comparatively expensive. As a positive, Levalet has the cheapest shipping rate of all retailers and occasionally has excellent specials.
1 star - drexollgames.com - large selection, but inflated prices, as to be expected from a brick and mortar store which provides good customer service.
Rating changes from last year: http://bgg.cc/geeklist/11485
* YourGamesDomain.com wasn't part of the price comparison last year, and this time around it easily has the best prices, but unfortunately lacks the selection offered by the other online retailers.
* Last year Meeple Mart had the best prices, but the gap in the field has narrowed significantly, with equally good prices and a better selection being offered by fungamescafe.com, germangames.com, and jjcards.com.
* Last year Boardgame.ca had a worse price-rating than Jogo, this time round it is Boardgame.ca that has a slight edge, lifting it up from its previous 1 star price rating, whereas Jogo is less competitive than previously.
New Gamers Package
Imagine you were placing an order for exactly a dozen selected quality and popular games. How much would this "New Gamers Package" cost you at the different retailers? Here's the bottom line:
Best overall value
Obviously there are considerations other than price that you'll need to consider when deciding where to buy your games - this comparison chart only deals with price, and doesn't address other important things like quality of customer service, speed and quality of shipping, and how well stocked the retailer is. While yourgamesdomain.com has cut-throat prices for a few games, if you're looking for a wider selection of games and want to be sure that the games you are ordering are in stock and will be shipped quickly, the best overall value choices would seem to be fungamescafe.com, germangames.com, and jjcards.com.
- [+] Dice rolls