Top 100s: Owned vs. Played vs. BGG Rank: Core Games
- Tony Ackroyd(1000rpm)United Kingdom
- BGG Top 100 Owned: Like the game so much we buy it
- BGG Top 100 Most Played*: Like the game so we play it more
- BGG Top 100 Rank by Rating: Like the game so we give it a high rating
* - August Plays sorted by distinct user plays (so the figures are not distorted by a few individuals playing a lot and somewhat equalises the issue of comparing games that take different lengths of time - you only have to play once a month)
Well you might be surprised. I was! There is a lot of difference between these lists. Only 38 games appear on all three lists and 35 more on 2 lists. The majority of games (116) appear on only 1 list. Heres the full breakdown with my draft names for each group:
Top 100 Appearances
If you can think of a better name for one or more of the categories then please suggest them!
This list will focus on the Core Games and will look at the interaction between Owned, Played and Ranked data.
I've pulled together data from my own records, the database and from a number of users who track data to get the most complete picture I can of each game's BGG rank over time, Played rank (distict users, for more explanation see here), and #games owned.
Owned data is the weakest area, with many gaps and the first data from Nov 2006. If you have any Owned data before this date please contact me and I'll improve the analysis with it. I have played data going back to June 2003, but ranking data only back to June 2005, again if anyone can provide ranking data older than this it would be great. So a big thank you to these users:Tom Verdonck(LordT)Belgium
AntwerpJonMichael Rasmus(jmsr525)United States
WisconsinOnce the Geek has you, there is no escape...United States
I have sorted these games by the sum of their ranks: BGG Rating rank + Owned rank + Plays rank.
Next list: Classics & Relics
And then: Hot & Popular Games
- [+] Dice rolls