This is a good starter set for someone wanting to try the game. And it's a good tactical fantasy game - I just don't play it any more.
This is a mostly complete second edition master set plus some extras. The extras are:
* 26 terrain tiles (1-7 hexes in size)
* 9 water tiles
* 2 ruined walls
* 1 set of order markers
* 10 battle dice
* a full set of base set army cards
* the army cards from the Snipers & Vipers and Heroes of Nostralund
* 6 base set heroes (including the three giant figures)
* 2 base set squads
* a few more base set figures
* 6 glyphs
* a foamcore dice tower decorated with Heroscape images (handmade, this was not an official item)
Now, there are also a few flaws:
* The rulebook is missing, but you can easily download the rules.
* Most of the wound markers are missing, as are the round and grenade markers, but these are all just little round plastic markers that are easy to substitute.
* One of the two Mimring (giant dragon) figures is painted and the other is missing its wings. The painted one is perfectly usable. (The other one is, as a variant figure.)
* 3 of the extra terrain pieces have minor damage.
* Much of the water is discolored from sun exposure - it looks greenish-blue instead of blue.
* The extra figures have sun exposure on their bases which caused them to change color. This is arguably good since it makes it easier to use them in the same game as the originals.
I should note that it is perfectly legal to use the same unique figures (such as the duplicate heroes) in the same game as long as they are controlled by different players. You could also use the duplicates as proxies for some of the expansion cards.