From the back of the book
City Builder: A Guide to Designing Communities is a manual that has been specifically designed to help guide storytellers through the process of creating exciting and compelling urban areas and other sorts of communities and places within them for their projects. It is a rules-free universal resource that is not specific to any particular game system and is intended to be compatible with the needs of almost any ancient, Dark Ages, Middle Ages, Renaissance, fantasy, or other role-playing milieu.
This comprehensive, fully-illustrated book includes:
- An Introduction that describes the scope of the book and how to use the material it contains;
- A chapter on Communities that examines the Characteristics of Communities, including thorps, hamlets, villages, towns, cities, military bases, and plantations, along with regional and racial influences on their development; Buildings; the Physical Characteristics of Cities, including fortifications, lighting, and conditions on, above, and below city streets; and Disasters.
- Chapters devoted to 10 specific sorts of places, including Craftsman Places, Entertainment Places, Professional Places, Tradesman Places, Mercantile Places, Service Places, Religious Places, Governmental Places, and Underworld Places.
- Descriptions of 85 different sorts of places, including eight created specifically for this book that have never before appeared elsewhere.
- Two to three Adventure Hooks tying in with each described sort of place.