Subtitle: The Writings of Kuni Mokuna
Sourcebook for the environment and denizens of the Shadowlands. It uses extensive first-person narratives and illustrations to create atmosphere. Includes a section on how best to use the Shadowlands to maintain the horror effect within a campaign. Includes section on in-between races such as the Nezumi and Ogres.
Beyond the barricade of the Kaiu Wall lies the twisted, poisoned region known as the Shadowlands. Here, the evil of a fallen god warps and contaminates the land and all who dare tread there. Honorable samurai have been driven mad, their bodies disfigured and their spirits crushed by the corrupting atmosphere. Foul creatures roam the fetid wastes, hunting those brave or foolish enough to enter. Goblins, ogres, trolls and terrifying oni reside here, as well as mischievous mujina, mindless zombies and industrious tribes of ratlings.
Within these pages are the writings of one of Rokugan's most infamous shugenja, Kuni Mokuna. Regarded as a savage madman by his contemporaries, Mokuna devoted his life to studying the Shadowlands and its denizens. His bold explorations and research have provided Rokugan with the most comprehensive collection of information about Fu Leng's Realm ever written.
The Book of the Shadowlands includes:
- Origin & Geography: Explore the history and warped landscape of the Shadowlands.
- Corruption and the Taint: Learn of the debilitating consequences of the Shadowlands Taint and the secrets of prevention and healing.
- The Vulgar Ones: Study the physiology, behavior and tactics of the creatures that lurk in the Shadowlands - goblins, ogres, trolls, mujina.
- Evil Made Flesh: Discover the secrets of over twenty formidable oni, some never before seen.
- The Ratling Tribes: Delve into the minds and culture (and character creation rules) of the Crab's unlikely allies, the Nezumi.
- Scores of Illustrations: Lavishly illustrated throughout, with nightmarish images of Rokugan's most appalling denizens.