United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekway to the West 2006 is now OFFICIAL! We have a date, a venue and are planning a variety of events. Thanks to my Geekbuddies here in St. Louis for all their help in coordinating this year's event. This year's Geekway will be bigger and better than ever (even though we only have one previous year for comparison). We're really excited about doubling or tripling our attendance (or more!).

>> BEST OF BOTH WORLDS
This year's Geekway will indeed be the best of both worlds. Based on feedback from last year's event by the 2005 Geekway Attendees, and some new ideas for the 2006 Geekway, this year will actually feature two different events:

KICKING IT OLD SCHOOL: First, there will be a small, informal "Old School" get together on FRIDAY APRIL 28th at my house (where last year's entire event was held). Due to the limited space available, Friday's event will be reserved for this year's Geekway Volunteers and last year's attendees -- or long distance out of towners. It's a sort of belated "cast party" for last year's event.

THE NEW WORLD ORDER: This year's main event will be held on SATURDAY APRIL 29th at a nearby community center in St. Charles (about 15 minutes from Ynnen's house). Doors will open at 10 AM sharp, and we'll need to wrap up our festivities and be out of there by 11 PM. Several local gamers have expressed willingness to have folks over after the center closes for even more gaming goodness.

>> ONLINE INFO

I've created a Yahoo! Group for Geekway to the West 2006. The group will be a handy central location for information about the event, and to handle any questions you may have. Directions to our house and the main venue, a format to look for some game trades, set up specific game times with folks, coordinate tutorials for some rare gems, post photos from the event -- all that good stuff!

Please visit the site and consider registering to join the group if you're planning on attending, or would like to keep track of all the goings-on.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/geekway/

>> STRUCTURED EVENTS
This year we'll be featuring a few organized events, too -- such as a huge game of Werewolf, a life-size/live action Mall of Horror game, some Boardgame Trivia and a few other tricks we've got up our sleeves. Once we have the details nailed down and volunteers in place to help manage some of these events, we'll ask folks to SIGN UP online or by email.

We're also designating some tutorial/introductory sessions for a variety of popular games, and encourage attendees to visit the Yahoo group to coordinate getting some full tables together. Games we're looking to specifically schedule include Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, Fury of Dracula, Wallenstein, El Grande, A Game of Thrones, Dune, Struggle of Empires, Age of Steam, Keythedral and other great games folks can't always find a full group for!

>> PRE-REGISTRATION
In order to ensure we have enough room available to accomodate everyone, we're asking folks to PLEASE PRE-REGISTER if they plan on attending the Geekway to the West 2006 Main Event on Saturday, April 29th. Last year, with barely a month of planning, we were able to get 22 people together to game.

This year, by spreading the word earlier and opening up the event to our local boardgame meetup community, we think it's realistic to draw anywhere from 50-70 people for Saturday, April 29th -- possibly even more! The more gamers, the merrier, but we need to keep close tabs on attendee registration to manage costs and coordinate events.

>> COVERING COSTS
To cover the costs involved with the Geekway (building reservation, refreshments, supplies and incidental costs for managing the event) we're asking attendees to please consider donating to the cause. If everyone attending were able to donate $10-15, we'll have more than enough to cover our core costs, as well as supplement the event with bonus goodies. 100% of all donations will be applied toward the convention. Any donations in excess of the facility and supply costs will be used to purchase snacks, beverages and PRIZES for the attendees. Huzzah!

>> LOOKING FOR HOST HOUSING?

Since this year we expect to get a fair number of out of towners traveling to attend the Geekway, several local folks have generously offered to a few gamers overnight. Out of towners looking for a place to crash over the Geekway weekend should drop me a line, and I'll do my best to hook you up with a local host. Our hosting space is extremely limited.

>> COME AND GET YER GEEK ON!
Here's to some great gaming in 2006! Hopefully you'll be able to join us in St. Louis this April for the Geekway -- but if not, all the best to you and yours!

If you have any questions or are interested in attending, feel free to contact me via GeekMail or email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to join you. I am originally from St. Louis and my parents still live there so conceivably I could have an easy time justifying a trip and spending a day gaming. But this year I can't make it do to other reasons so here's to geekway 2007!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, would be interested, though I doubt I would ever be able to make it...

I lived in the area briefly, graduating from high school in Belleville, Illinois. My one real fling with miniatures was during that time - playing armor minis somewhere near the arch (I don't think that I could find the place again if I tried).

I even have friends and relatives in the area (who have moved there since I left).

Unfortunately, late April is not a good time for me to be even thinking about travelling. I work for a university and vanishing when finals are approaching is sort of frowned upon. Admittedly, a trip from Texas for a gaming weekend is a bit of a stretch, anyway. If I was up there for the con and didn't spend some quality time with aforementioned relatives, there would be repercussions, I'm sure (and pawning the quality time off on my wife would have repercussions, too!).

Oh, well... the line-up looks interesting, with a ton of titles I would be interested in. Enjoy! I guess I'll have to wait for BGG.Con!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are breaking my heart! Game now, guilt later (or never -- it's really your call).

I knew that whatever dates we picked, there would be lots of people who would otherwise attend that just can't make it. But fear not, we're hoping the convention grows stronger every year so that it eventually has an even larger draw -- and despite it's humble origins as a group of Geeks hanging out in my basement, it may reach "Must Attend" status for a few Geeks across the country.

So even if you can't make it this year, we'll play a few games for you, and keep a space at the table for you next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep us updated. I won't know until later if I can come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spin Hansen
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Blerg.
badge
Beard beard beard beard beard beard beard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me wish that I was closer than Utah...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another area convention a week before that.

I'm suppose to run about a dozen games about 85 miles away from St. Louis a week before that at Egyptian Campaign 2006 http://members.tripod.com/ecgamecon/ .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just a reminder You can show up the day of the event, but signing up now will help jason and his minions to prepare. you can put your name on the list here: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/geekway/ or you can join the saint louis board games meetup group and rsvp for the event here: http://boardgames.meetup.com/9/ ; there are still saint louis gamers willing to host out of town guests, myself included. get off your driveway and make that call. operators are standing by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.