Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondians.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Smith
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is an RE teacher at a school in NE England. We are taking a party of 6th formers (16-18 yr olds) across the pond to New York for a Multicultural Ethics Conference - which means that I get to go shopping in New York for about half a day while they actually go to the lecture bit - As far as I knew Ethics is just outside London.

Anyway - can anyone recommend any good games shops in New York - we are based somewhere around West 27th and Broadway if that helps - looking for both euro-games and any good US board/card games and somewhere that stock Out of the Box games - blink, Squint - that sort of thing.

If anyone has any recommendations for games whose US editions are better or cheaper - I'd be pleased to know :o) Also any recommendations for other geek style shops in the area - books, sci-fi, comics, goth/punk would be welcome.

Jon

woodd10-4sheep
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Oettinger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondian
Try these two stores:

The Compleat Strategist
11 East 33rd Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenue)
New York, NY 10016
212-685-3880

Neutral Ground
122 West 26th Street. 4th fl. NY, NY 10001
Phone: (212) 633-1288
Fax: (212) 633-0979

Which are both discussed in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/81420

I'm thinking both should be a relatively easy walk for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondian
Those are the two I would recommend, although they're not great.

They're also discussed in these threads:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/97351

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/89801
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondian
If you're going to a store to buy, I'd suggest The Compleat Strategist. If you're going to play, Neutral Ground is the better option. Both are very close to where you're staying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Cinulph wrote:

Anyway - can anyone recommend any good games shops in New York - we are based somewhere around West 27th and Broadway if that helps - looking for both euro-games and any good US board/card games and somewhere that stock Out of the Box games - blink, Squint - that sort of thing.

If anyone has any recommendations for games whose US editions are better or cheaper - I'd be pleased to know :o) Also any recommendations for other geek style shops in the area - books, sci-fi, comics, goth/punk would be welcome.

Jon

woodd10-4sheep

The 2 named stores are both the largest in NYC and pretty well-stocked. Neutral ground actually has a selection of card and boardgames very comparable to the Strat's - people think otherwise because the Strat has a larger RPG section and carries more games overall, but subtract the "mainstream" titles (Clue, Monopoly, etc.), and they're really fairly close; though it's true the Strat is the more completist of the two, NG does undercut the Strat's prices on games here and there..

Your best options for other geek products in the area would be

COSMIC COMICS (23rd Street between 5th Ave. and Park Ave) - offers $20 USD store credit for every $100 USD spent.

JIM HANLEY'S UNIVERSE - (33rd street between 5th and 6th Ave) - no store credit program, but about twice the size of Cosmic.

FORBIDDEN PLANET - (12th Street and Broadway) - despite 2 floors, now smaller than Jim Hanley's and imo not really worth the extra time

ST. MARK'S COMICS: St. Mark's (8th Street) between 1st and 2nd Avenue) same as the Planet but that particular street has several goth/punk/alt boutiques on it and is thus slightly more useful.

Most of the above stock bits and peices of related media (novels, models, toys, etc.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar


Also - if you show up on the right week, there's a boardgaming group that meets every other Thursday from 6-11pm.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondian
oldmanrivah wrote:


Also - if you show up on the right week, there's a boardgaming group that meets every other Thursday from 6-11pm.

Yeah, you can attend a couple different game groups while you're in NYC if you would like:

1) NYC Boardgame Meetup
at Neutral Ground
on Thursdays, from 6pm to Midnight
http://boardgames.meetup.com/23/

2) Columbia Board Game Club
at Columbia University
on Fridays, from 7pm to Midnight
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/csss/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thommy8 wrote:
oldmanrivah wrote:


Also - if you show up on the right week, there's a boardgaming group that meets every other Thursday from 6-11pm.

Yeah, you can attend a couple different game groups while you're in NYC if you would like:

1) NYC Boardgame Meetup
at Neutral Ground
on Thursdays, from 6pm to Midnight
http://boardgames.meetup.com/23/

2) Columbia Board Game Club
at Columbia University
on Fridays, from 7pm to Midnight
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/csss/

Hey, where is that exactly? Columbia's a pretty big place,last time I checked...or does "JH 646" indicate something I missed?

Also, your current page seems to list times as from 7-10pm. Glad to hear it's going longer...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondian
oldmanrivah wrote:

Hey, where is that exactly? Columbia's a pretty big place,last time I checked...or does "JH 646" indicate something I missed?

Also, your current page seems to list times as from 7-10pm. Glad to hear it's going longer...

Hey Robert,

Good point, Columbia is rather large. Thus far, anytime a non-student has wanted to come, I've just given them directions via GeekMail, but I should explain how to get there a little better on the website. Anyway, for now:

JGH stands for Jerome Greene Hall, which is located at 435 West 116th Street, at the corner of 116th Street and Amsterdam Avenue.

A good map for seeing the building can be found at: http://www.columbia.edu/about_columbia/map/greene.html

We meet in Room 646, which is on the sixth floor of the building.

Yeah, I reserve the room technically for 7 to 10pm because I think that's the latest they go, but we always stay at least till midnight, and sometimes till 1am.

I hope that helps
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thommy8 wrote:

I hope that helps

Well, it'll help me find this Friday's meeting - whether that's good or bad will likely depend on how liquored up I get before the event...

Also, is it weekly or bi-weekly?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondian
oldmanrivah wrote:
Thommy8 wrote:

I hope that helps

Well, it'll help me find this Friday's meeting - whether that's good or bad will likely depend on how liquored up I get before the event...

Also, is it weekly or bi-weekly?

Hey Robert,

We usually meet bi-weekly (but sometimes it varies), so the upcoming events will likely be February 24th, March 10th, March 24th.

If you have any requests for a particular game, let me know in advance, we generally just play games from my personal collection, which you can browse here.

Oh, and if you think you might arrive after 8pm, let me know, because the elevators require an ID to swipe after 8pm, but if I know in advance, I can come down and let you up. If you arrive in the 7's then you should be fine.

-Tom

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thommy8 wrote:
If you have any requests for a particular game, let me know in advance, we generally just play games from my personal collection, which you can browse here.

Oh, and if you think you might arrive after 8pm, let me know, because the elevators require an ID to swipe after 8pm, but if I know in advance, I can come down and let you up. If you arrive in the 7's then you should be fine.

-Tom

Sounds good. I should be able to get there before 8pm, but I'll update if something comes up. I usually try and bring a few things along - some games I have to hand I don't see on your list include

SHADOWS OVER CAMELOT
EN GARDE!
KUNG FU FIGHTING
DRAKON
BLOOD FEUD IN NEW YORK
RAILROAD TYCOON
CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE
FIST OF DRAGONSTONES (think CITADELS + RA)
SERENISSIMA
NEXUS OPS
GANG OF FOUR
ALIBI
PIRATE'S COVE
MYSTERY OF THE ABBEY
AGE OF MYTHOLOGY
MASTER LABYRINTH
ARENA MAXIMUS
COLOSSAL ARENA
DIVINE RIGHT (25th anniversary reprint)

Obviously I'd nae bring them all, and there are quite a few I'd like to know I'm playing before I haul them out (RRT, CoTE, BLOOD FEUD, SERENISSIMA), but I usually try and have some of the smaller,lighter ones around.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondian
Sounds good, wow there are definitely some games in there I'd love to try sometime. Not necessarily this time, so just bring whatever you feel like, but I've been wanting to give En Garde! a try for a while now (I think that's a small one). Plus, I'd like to try out Shadows over Camelot and Railroad Tycoon at some point; while some here seem to have tired of Shadows and I wasn't a huge fan of Knizia's LOTR cooperative, it seems like something I should still try at least once. As for the others, I'm usually up for anything, as long as there isn't too much luck involved or too many dice, hehe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thommy8 wrote:
Sounds good, wow there are definitely some games in there I'd love to try sometime. Not necessarily this time, so just bring whatever you feel like, but I've been wanting to give En Garde! a try for a while now (I think that's a small one). Plus, I'd like to try out Shadows over Camelot and Railroad Tycoon at some point; while some here seem to have tired of Shadows and I wasn't a huge fan of Knizia's LOTR cooperative, it seems like something I should still try at least once.

Sounds fine. En Garde is indeed a small package, while RAILROAD TYCOON, CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE, SERENISSIMA and BLOOD FEUD are all such hefty babies I prefer not to haul them out unless I'm guaranteed at least 4 other players; we should also be sure we've got tables for the 1st 2, they really are 3 feet by 4 feet. A circular table at least 6 feet in diameter is optimal, since you can end up laying claims/tracks all over the board, but it's quite surprsing how many table of similar make are just a few inches out of whack with each other in terms of level...SHADOWS and most of the others are within a reasonable range.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, you'll probably want to come once then to see whether our tables would do. I'm not good with visualizing dimensions, so I can't say for sure. But I do know our tables are rectangular, not circular, and may have trouble with Railroad Tycoon, even though I want to try that out sometime (Age of Steam has been at the top of my wishlist forever now, but I keep being put off by the $40 pricetag). Anyway, En Garde seems good because I finally realized at the last meeting that short 2 player games (like Travel Blokus and LOTR Confrontation) serve a great function at this type of event by allowing players to do something while waiting for a long game to finish. I'll definitely be brining a couple short 2-players from now on to serve this function between games of Puerto Rico and Caylus and Tigris & Euphrates, etc.

P.S. I think we're pretty much a bunch of boring teetotalers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondian
Hey Robert,

Don't bother with any of the really big games this time, since they're such a hassle. I'll bring plenty of stuff to fill the time, and you can drag that big stuff up here another time I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Smith
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game shops in New York City? A question for left-pondian
Thanks for all the info

Shame I'm not on there longer as otherwise one of the games nights would be good. Looks like I'm gonna have to learn to ride the subway - even tho I hate the tube in London blush

I'll also attempt to visit a B&N - as they may stock more of the OTB stuff?

Thanks again D)

Jon woodd10-4sheep
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you won't be here longer, but have a good trip Jonathan meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls