Popular Tags: [View All]
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
August 12, 2013

The work has moved to http://app.lairoflith.com/ which will also allow you to save cards to a shared database if you sign up for an account. If you don't wish to, that's cool, just remember to save the CSV if you plan to revisit the character!

This thread is still watched, but new requests, comments, and concerns should be posted to Lair of Lith Character Card Generator and Database is Live!.

---

Here it is: Duel of Ages II Character Value Calculator

Now generates cards with portraits of your choosing, if you're on an HTML5-compliant browser that's not Safari!

And now lets you re-crop your portraits to fit into the card perfectly.

Runs on Javascript, so you need that enabled. This should work in most browsers since I'm using jQuery to do a lot of the heavy lifting, although you'll need an HTML5 capable browser to generate card images.

Updated 2013/08/03

Changes:

- Character portraits can now be resized in a number of ways, up to and including interactive cropping with the Jcrop editor.

Updated 2013/08/02

Changes:

- Added character portrait automation. Load up an image of your choice; optimally it should be 739 x 1204, but the program will automatically resize as necessary.

- Special ability box is now a partially opaque box. Will result in "tannish" backgrounds.

- If 2 armor and 3 armor are red for you, refresh your browser cache; these have been fixed by Jarrett!

Updated 2013/07/29

Changes:

- Full special ability box generation. Text and icons; you can fill it up to your heart's content, at least until it starts to exceed the top edge of the card and cause errors.

To do still:

- Minify images as much as possible. I'm afraid that this will require a lot of work in various image editors I have. If someone can provide very trim PNGs of the little stats images and bonus icons, that would be awesome.

Updated 2013/07/28

Changes:

- Added checkboxes for the No Trade, No Give Cards Away, and No Card Limit abilities and incorporated them into value calculation. As a result, the CSV format was updated, but any CSVs you created from before will load just fine.

- Added generation of card as bitmap graphics. This takes a while to do for most browsers and connections; some of the images, like the stat images, are way too big (500kb as opposed to 12kb for the circle/setting/nature). I will work on cutting down those image sizes, probably by using indexed pngs.

To do additions:

- Add special ability box support to the card generator.
- Minify the images that are too large down to something manageable.

Updated 2013/07/25

Changes:

- Added reset button that wipes out all stats. This actually leaves the character at -20 adventure points.
- Added undo and redo buttons.
- Added capability of exporting as CSV file (with delimiter = "|")
- Added capability of importing CSV lines of the same format

With the last two, it's possible to copy and save characters to another file for safe-keeping and reload them up again to edit them. This is not as good as, say, uploading characters to the cloud. I have thoughts on how to do this effectively, but it will involve more resources than I currently have.

However, perhaps this is a good excuse to throw down on a lovely small dedicated server.

Updated 2013/07/24

Changes:

- Rearranged things.
- Added pop-up blurb.
- Added character name, title, age, setting, circle, nature.
- Added calculator for intrinsic ranged weapons.
- Better display of special abilities, their values, and what component their values apply to.
- Breakdown of character value into its components.
- Expanded TODO list in blurb.
- Ability to get character as BGG board text.

Additional insomnia items:

- Better dealing with bonuses.
- Fixed bug with ranged weapon evaluation.

Initial version 2013/07/23

One noticeable lack is a missing calculator for intrinsic ranged weapons. I'll patch that in tomorrow.

I've got a TODO list there, but I'll copy it here below. Please help out with bug reports, suggestions, etc.

- Better display of special abilities and capability to categorize them into survival, melee, ranged, and adventure bonuses.

- Show breakdown of character value by survival, melee, ranged, and adventure.

- Change color of table row based on high or low stat values.

- Use icons instead of or in addition to text.

- Add ability to have intrinsic ranged weapons.

- Generate cards as text and maybe eventually even as images.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waste MaLife
msg tools
Re: DOA II Character Value Generator v0.1
what dose the "value" mean anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The value of a character means how strong the character is in game play. You don't want overpowered or underpowered characters.

500, give or take 3 points, is where you want your character to be at.

For more information take a look at the character worksheet in the Lost Light package that Brett posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good start and well done.

The hardest thing I would imagine is putting a value on special abilities. I guess some sort of chart showing the values they used for existing abilities would help.

I also guess a small blurb at the top explaining the range that people want to shoot for (500 +/- 3) is needed as you wont know how everyone finds this page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregory -- Special abilities are the hardest part, but, the Excel character value worksheet in the package has a list of all current character special abilities and their values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job, some things I would like to see (just me)...

A list, popup, whatever of the formulas (right hand side of sheet 1 of the Character Value worksheet), and the power/damage costs (sheet 2 of the Character Value Worksheet) to see what changing a value is going to adjust my point value by. Especially since the point value of a given item can affect A LOT of the total value due to being in multiple cost formulas, and is not a direct 1 for 1 translation (i.e. 5 worth of melee = 5 x 3 or something).

Only other like you already have listed as the breakdown of the character value by survival, melee, ranged and adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett, can the worksheet be made available on Google Docs as a read-only document? I was thinking of doing this so that it can be accessed like a database by the Javascript.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, Ava, you can use/modify/improve/distribute the worksheet as you see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DOA II Character Value Calculator v0.2
NEW VERSION EVERYBODY

Tekkor wrote:

I also guess a small blurb at the top explaining the range that people want to shoot for (500 +/- 3) is needed as you wont know how everyone finds this page.

Blurb added under "What is this?" link, with some more information (just a little more). Thank you for the suggestion!

mltdwn wrote:

A list, popup, whatever of the formulas (right hand side of sheet 1 of the Character Value worksheet), and the power/damage costs (sheet 2 of the Character Value Worksheet) to see what changing a value is going to adjust my point value by. Especially since the point value of a given item can affect A LOT of the total value due to being in multiple cost formulas, and is not a direct 1 for 1 translation (i.e. 5 worth of melee = 5 x 3 or something).

Added to the TODO list. I plan on getting spreadsheets uploaded as public read-only docs to Google Docs, then using the Google Data API to retrieve and query as appropriate.

Quote:
Only other like you already have listed as the breakdown of the character value by survival, melee, ranged and adventure.

Now done. Thank you for the suggestions!

SpitfireIXA wrote:
No problem, Ava, you can use/modify/improve/distribute the worksheet as you see fit.

Thanks, Brett!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah I hate it... I plugged in Solomon Kane's stats and apparently I made a mistake and he is now over limit by 3 (I think I put in the value of Wits instead of the COST of Wits)... back to the drawing board... why did you have to make this Bilbo?!

Other than that it's cool, also prevent me from screwing up in the future.

BTW I fixed Solomon already using this great tool. Thanks Bilbo

Edit: Ok one more wish (this may or may not be easy for you) a "reset" button that will wipe out all of the stats, name field, and special abilities. I'm just OCD about my organization and only seeing exactly what I am doing right then. Might also be good if it has a "are you sure?" pop-up.

And yet another thing, maybe an ability to save your stats to a user account similar to the on-line tuckbox generator.....

See Bilbo you never should have made and posted it, I get too demanding .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Bah I hate it... I plugged in Solomon Kane's stats and apparently I made a mistake and he is now over limit by 3 (I think I put in the value of Wits instead of the COST of Wits)... back to the drawing board... why did you have to make this Bilbo?!

Because I am both evil and efficient. devil

Quote:
Other than that it's cool, also prevent me from screwing up in the future.

BTW I fixed Solomon already using this great tool. Thanks Bilbo

You're very welcome!

Quote:
Edit: Ok one more wish (this may or may not be easy for you) a "reset" button that will wipe out all of the stats, name field, and special abilities. I'm just OCD about my organization and only seeing exactly what I am doing right then. Might also be good if it has a "are you sure?" pop-up.

I will see about adding that soon. It won't be difficult.

Quote:
And yet another thing, maybe an ability to save your stats to a user account similar to the on-line tuckbox generator.....

There are a couple of approaches to this. The version I currently am working on now has a CSV exporter, which means that I can write a CSV importer, which provides people a way to manually save and load characters.

Adding user accounts is more difficult, and will come along with time. Until then I can set up a local storage that will allow you to load up characters you create in that browser on that computer.

Quote:
See Bilbo you never should have made and posted it, I get too demanding .

No worries! I love feature requests. It means people are using the software.

I have a demanding feature request of my own, too, after all, which is to get to the point of generating cards. That will require a lot of other things to be in place before it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DOA II Character Value Calculator v0.3
ANOTHER NEW VERSION!

Undo, redo, reset, export as CSV and load from CSV (at least the CSV that this program outputs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've changed the URL of the character value calculator!

It's now at: http://cgi.lairoflith.com/character-calculator/

Original post has been updated.

And yes, Lair of Lith is now allllmost open for business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it Ava, have my children... No, seriously, I want you to have my children my wife is about ready to kill them . You can do the whole Island Prison thing like France started.

BTW for those interested I am going to be working on revising the CorelDraw templates again today to implement Ava's exported CSVs as a print merge in order to remove the need to drag and drop the values on the stats, and to allow mass creation of character cards. So basicallly you can create your character at Lith's Lair, export it to CSV, open up the template in CorelDraw, and it will auto populate the stats from the file he created.

Edit: Don't suppose you can also put a first line on the CSV output that states what column is what?

Edit2: Correction on what I am doing, after looking I am doing it as a script in Corel. You'll have a csv of a specific name in your character folder and it will automatically move the proper images to the proper locations on the template so you won't need to do any drag and drop.

Edit3: Disregard the header request bud, if you wish, I don't need it since I am scripting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance we can get check boxes for No Trade, No Give, and No Limit on cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Any chance we can get check boxes for No Trade, No Give, and No Limit on cards?

I'll see about adding that tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are absolute legends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macs wrote:

Not I... all my work comes out of a desire to be as lazy as possible. I figure a wee bit of time spent up front will save all kinds of time on the back end and give me more time to play . Though I got the auto-sizing of text working to fit the boxes (which makes everything look much nicer and auto-corrects for long character names too). Now I am working on resizing the special abilities box to fit the text, and of course adjusting the borders. Looking at having that done sometime tomorrow night after work. Need to do a bit more research but I think I have it figured out.

Hey Ava.... An idea for text. If you can implement some Java it has the ability to fit text to a box so that should give you the auto-sizing. Once I get my code on the special abilities box worked out, and the template uploaded, I'll do some checking for you on that before I knock out the character picture portion. I would help more on your end but web design coding just makes my head hurt. Give me good old fashioned C++ or similar any day.

Edit: Got the text box done so I'll take some time tomorrow to see if I can find a way for you to auto-scale the text for your web app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macs wrote:

Thanks but I am not legend. I am merely plying my trade as a humble programmer, and using this to learn about web programming in this strange world of Javascript and HTML 5. Plus I am lazy. Once this is in better shape, it'll be easier for me to create the League of Extraordinary Gentlewomen.

Jarrett, thanks for the offer of help! I may take you up on it---I figured out how to scale the character name text and the profession/subtitle, now I just need to figure out the special ability box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DOA II Character Value Calculator v0.4
NEW VERSION EVERYBODY! See the original post upstream for what's changed.

Also, if you hate the new version, you can always visit "v3.html" to get at the old version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new card image generator is ridiculously awesome. Thank you very very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work. Template will be updated tonight. Was going to check out your page at work but apparently we block it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycalt wrote:
The new card image generator is ridiculously awesome. Thank you very very much.

You're welcome! I just made it better, by the way. I think. If no bugs crop up!

mltdwn wrote:
Awesome work. Template will be updated tonight. Was going to check out your page at work but apparently we block it .

Hoorah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DOA II Character Value Calculator v0.5
NEW VERSION ONCE MORE EVERYBODY NOW WITH MORE AUTOMATION

YES

IT IS ALL AUTOMATED except for the card image. You still have to supply that yourself. And as I'm using Javascript, unless I allow image uploading (which I think I won't, because I don't want to imagine the DMCA issues that might follow), the portrait will remain unautomated.

This was a long stint of programming and image editing to make it happen. I estimate it took some 7 hours of novice Javascript programming in all, spread out over two days, plus 2 hours of novice Photoshop Touch editing. Good news is that at least the card backgrounds and card bars do not take up 1.8MB of bandwidth each.

For those who are curious: this was all created on my little iPad. In case anyone was wondering if it was a real machine these days.

Now... I'm going to wait for bug reports today. And pick up my interrupted game of DOAII. And finish it and start a new game, because there can never be enough games of DOAII.

Also it's my birthday. Well, my birthday was yesterday. CLOSE ENOUGH.

Remember, file your bug reports and feature requests here! I read all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DOA II Character Value Calculator v0.5
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
NEW VERSION ONCE MORE EVERYBODY NOW WITH MORE AUTOMATION

YES

IT IS ALL AUTOMATED except for the card image. You still have to supply that yourself. And as I'm using Javascript, unless I allow image uploading (which I think I won't, because I don't want to imagine the DMCA issues that might follow), the portrait will remain unautomated.

This was a long stint of programming and image editing to make it happen. I estimate it took some 7 hours of novice Javascript programming in all, spread out over two days, plus 2 hours of novice Photoshop Touch editing. Good news is that at least the card backgrounds and card bars do not take up 1.8MB of bandwidth each.

For those who are curious: this was all created on my little iPad. In case anyone was wondering if it was a real machine these days.

Now... I'm going to wait for bug reports today. And pick up my interrupted game of DOAII. And finish it and start a new game, because there can never be enough games of DOAII.

Also it's my birthday. Well, my birthday was yesterday. CLOSE ENOUGH.

Remember, file your bug reports and feature requests here! I read all of them.

Happy Birthday bud!! Will have to check out the card generator when I get home... Yeesh and here I was thinking there was a use for my template changes .

And note, that is not me being upset, I am awesomely impressed with what you've done and I see a role for the template still as it would probably be a bit difficult to do clean up if you had a power like say.. Oh what is that really long winded one on the Buck Rogers tag along?

So I see a use for both .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.