Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

If you've listened to episode 113, you know we are running a contest to win a $50 gift certificate to www.coolstuffinc.com!

All you have to do to enter is post one of two things in this very thread:

1) A review of the podcast.
2) Something that Don or I have gotten horribly wrong.

Now don't feel like you have to be factual in either of these posts. Have fun with it and be creative.

At the end of August, we'll take all of the entries (we will select only one per person) and Don and I will pick our favorite 5. Of the remaining posts, the 5 with the most thumbs will also be selected.

From those 10 finalists, 1 will be randomly determined to be the winner by the roll of one of Erik's mighty d10s.

Sound good? Cool. Have at it.

Oh, if there are any questions or discussions about the contest, please put them in a separate thread. I'd like to keep this one to entries only.

Thanks and good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hanft
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Board Games: A Completely Un-Biased Review

So before I start I feel like I want to point out, OBG was and is the first board gaming podcast. Because of that it will probably always have a special place in my podcast collection.

From the very beginning Erik, Don, and Scott approached their round table topics from the perspective of a game player, developer, and reviewer. Their experience made the round topics interesting and insightful. Their discussions range from hobby patterns, to game development, to gaming in schools and libraries. When Scott left the show, Erik and Don began filling the third seat with rotating guest hosts. While I was dubious at first, I quickly realized what a bubble I had been gaming in. I found that I couldn't wait to find out who the next guest would be.

In retrospect, OBGs sound quality has not always been great (especially some of the guests), but I think that is part of the shows charm. And honestly, it has never really gotten in the way of listening to the Cool Cat and Mean Man of Podcasting.

Erik and Don have done a fantastic job at reviewing games from a unbiased point of view. I have never really gotten the feeling that they go easy on a game just because they interviewed the creator or publisher. I have also never gotten the feeling that they only play a game once or twice before attempting an official review. As long as they continue this level of quality, I for one will continue to be listening.

As far as for something that you have gotten wrong, I can't really think of anything you have gotten wrong that wasn't an opinion. And there have been many times you have left me yelling at the radio over those... (Don I’m looking at you here. How could you think 7 Wonders was just "Okay"!!! And Erik on the episode about "Component Quality" you had me screaming about Lords of Waterdeep, which you only briefly mentioned.) So as far as just being flat out wrong about something, I have this to say...

Quote:
Don and I will pick are favorite 5.

It's spelled 'our'

YOUR WRONG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erika Svanoe
United States
Menomonie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kodab wrote:

Quote:

It's spelled 'our'

YOUR WRONG

You're
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:

Jason, Pete, whatever. Don seems to often have a problem with the name of the guest in the third chair. A few episodes back it lasted the entire episode.

Is that horrible enough?

Thanks for the contest and for the podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hanft
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErikaSvanoe wrote:
Kodab wrote:

Quote:

It's spelled 'our'

YOUR WRONG

You're

Hey, they didn't ask what I did wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) A review of the podcast.
Good.

There was that time in Marakesh. The boy who brought your beer didn't know what you were asking. I wasn't surprised when he dropped the tray, spilled the beer, and drew his knife.

I was surprised that Don drew his gun, and more surprised that he shot the lad as he lunged at you. I mean the kid couldn't have been more than 7 and you know something like a dozen martial arts. You could have disarmed him easily enough.

Don must have thought better safe than sorry. I guess.

And I suppose life is cheap.

But it was a horrible waste of a good bullet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Counter
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming I'm eligible to participate with my DT affiliation, but either way, I give my thoughts on the podcast. I'm not known for my verbal efficacy, but I'll try. 8)

I started listening after you guys became part of the DT Network, so not as familiar with earlier episodes. Overall, neat podcast. I like the relatively quick-hitter approach to the reviews, and even when I disagree, it can be linked more to personal gaming tastes than to podcast quality. You guys give a very good brief game description and then a usually succinct evaluation. Good stuff.

On the third chair, these are usually good segments, that vary on appeal due to tastes, but are generally good to hear. Sometimes they can go a bit long, but that goes with many podcasts or even podcast segments.

I don't have any egregious 'you got X wrong' examples, so I'll just say I rather enjoyed the rulebook episode and tend to like discussions on design/production etc. issues, and Giles is always fun to listen to. I think you guys do a good job at promoting the hobby, and do like the practicals of getting your game group to a 'healthy' balance.

If I had to pick on one area I'm not always fond of, well, I know it's Don's schtick about being mean, but sometimes it's a slight turn off. This sentiment is not personal, and one should always be as honest as possible in giving opinions, but every once in a while, comments can feel a bit edgier than what might be needed to get a point across. Oh, we don't need to be happy all the time, but I can't deny being a bit bothered at perceived tone every once in a while.

However, evn with that last thought. I do enjoy the podcast and appreciate how you promote the hobby. My gaming tastes may be more in line with Erik's, but don't worry Don, still appreciate most of what you say. 8P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It' Fantastic! Wonderful! Enlightening!

Donald Dennis (the Mean Man of Podcasting) called it "Brilliant!"

Player 1 - Drink
Player 2 - Oh man. That must be 20 brilliants this one, we gotta come up with a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Gross
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#2) Don and Erik are M. Night Shyamalan's secret muses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Coffee
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
We are live at Myrtle Beach, SC. There has just been a trampling of a man who is better known as "The Mean Man of Podcasting". It was earlier this evening when he aggrevated one too many podcast listeners. Through something called a "BGG Guild", the police have determined that it was likely 3,895 people (we know based on their self-congratulatory posting of stats). The police are quickly closing in on the predators by following something called gamer funk. In mining the twittersphere, we have determined that his sarcasm and poor editing skills became too much, so said @ihatethemeanmanofpodcasting. The Mean Man leaves behind 300 unplayed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Ayrk wrote:

Jason, Pete, whatever. Don seems to often have a problem with the name of the guest in the third chair. A few episodes back it lasted the entire episode.

Is that horrible enough?

Thanks for the contest and for the podcast.

Well, Erik did say some of the ones about me might actually be accurate. Though in my defense Jason Frye is also known as Pete. On facebook it's Jason, in real life people call him Pete. It took me like six months to figure out who I was talking with.

Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Game Devourer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They had done it. It had been called out one time too often.

The sound of Ra echoed across the chasms of the internet and reduced the dice tower to a pile of rubble.

All that could be heard was the laughter of Don Buonocore. devil

greentrainredtrainyellowtraingreentrainredtrainyellowtraingreentrainredtrainyellowtraingreentrainredtrainyellowtrain

As for a review, I tuned in for the Nicholson and stayed for the DennisDewey goodness. Mmmm... DennisDewey...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it completely wrong when you ran Scott Nicholson out of the board game hobby.

Just let the man yell 'Ra!' once in while. How hard is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stin gray
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright, guys, I am ready to lay down this podcast review.

I gotta tell you, fellas, you have a dynamite sound!
However, I'll be honest, I could use more cowbell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful what you wish for. I do own a cowbell. cool

stinggray wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Review:

In an age of hit shows and blockbuster movies about superheroes, two men stand far above the rest with their heroic knowledge of board games and board game mechanics. You thought the battle between Superman and General Zod was epic? That was nothing compared with the battle of wits between Erik Dewey and Donald Dennis in every episode of On Board Games. Like their superhero peers, our two podcast hosts always return for more, to the delight of their adoring fans. Who will be first chair this time? Who will be their hapless victim in third chair? Will Donald remember to close his window when the lawn is being mowed? Find out by listening to On Board Games on a mobile device near you and you will soon join me in my appreciation of this show.

Something that's horribly wrong:

Gentlemen, you missed your calling! How much more horrible can something get?

Erik, you were meant for great things as a taste-tester of fine caviar. Your life could have been sublime because as you sit alone in the dark room with your caviar and crackers, you slowly mull over the true meaning of life, how to write the perfect novel, and what Donald means when he says, "Exspecially". On the momentous day of your 5,000th taste-test, after an illustrious 3-year career, you realize that life is too short to only be spend it in the dark eating fish eggs and you break out with a design of the most incredible Eurogame titled, "Silent Death: Bad Eggs"

Donald, you missed your chance to be the next Darth Vader. I'm still not sure how Hayden Christensen managed to get the role over you! If only they listened to On Board Games and heard the perfect 'Vader Breathing' and your dulcet tones they would have snatched you up in a second. You could have averted the terrible presence of Jar Jar Binks, kept George Lucas in line, and learned to use a real lightsaber. Think of the options!!

As it is, though, I think you guys have turned out pretty well despite these missed career paths. We all appreciate your hard work on the podcast and we look forward to years of interesting conversations to come. Keep up the good work! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:
Be careful what you wish for. I do own a cowbell. cool

stinggray wrote:

Yeah, he has a cowbell. He brought it to the 2005 Origins and used it to wake me up every morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read back my review/comments and they were waaay to harsh. I apologize and didn't mean to offend anyone. Keep up the good work with the podcast, I listen to each one.

Todd Kauk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
Todd Kauk wrote:

I read back my review/comments and they were waaay to harsh. I apologize and didn't mean to offend anyone. Keep up the good work with the podcast, I listen to each one.

Todd Kauk

I thought the objective was to want them to choose your review

I think we just met the "mean man of podcast reviews".

I don't think personal attacks on the podcasters is a very good idea, even if you are doing a review...the idea is to review the podcast, not the people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

[/q]

I thought the objective was to want them to choose your review[/q]

I don't think personal attacks on the podcasters is a very good idea, even if you are doing a review...the idea is to review the podcast, not the people.[/q]

I don't think you need to jump to calling it a personal attack. It was a little opinion mixed with tongue-in-cheek humour. I sincerely apologize if it was taken any way other than that. I have edited the post to delete it and possibly ruined my chance at a $50 GC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmussen81 wrote:
Delaric wrote:
Todd Kauk wrote:
My review of On Board Games:

Don is the mean man of podcasting who says "brilliant" every other word. Giles, a frequent guest, is one of the funniest dude I've heard.
Erik is somehow spelled AYRK - but...he's definitely a cool cat.
The new guy Jason Frye seriously outshined them right off the bat.

The review section is excellent and seriously worth a download. But the main topics of the podcast are either too detailed (ie. long-winded) or not interesting enough. I would prefer more focus on games themselves.

Don comes across as a know-it-all and a generally pretty negative/jaded. It's not super fun to listen to people constantly tear apart rulesbooks, and have a cynical take on games because they've seen it all before.

Overall, there are pros and cons to this podcast and I do listen to each one that drops...but it is not my first choice. There is room for improvement and I'll have to give it a:

YELLOW LIGHT

Thanks,

Todd Kauk

I thought the objective was to want them to choose your review

I don't think personal attacks on the podcasters is a very good idea, even if you are doing a review...the idea is to review the podcast, not the people.

I hope the objective was for them to get honest feedback. I don't agree with everything Todd says, but he's giving his opinion - what we ask Don and Eric to do every show, and what THEY asked US to do in this thread.

I think that Don and Eric are capable of defending themselves...I guess Todd is too, but my point is he shouldn't have to.

thumbsdownthumbsupthumbsdownthumbsupthumbsdownthumbsupthumbsdownthumbsupthumbsdownthumbsupthumbsdownthumbsupthumbsdownthumbsupthumbsdownthumbsupthumbsdownthumbsupthumbsdownthumbsup

My review:
Informative Podcast. Though the views of the hosts only align with mine about 75% of the time, I can get an idea of whether I will like a game based on what they say about them.

Don is hard to please, and often focuses on the fine details of a game's production and presentation. He occasionally presents his opinion as the only possible right one. Eric accepts a wider assortment of games. He frequently allows Don to get away with presenting his opinion as the only possible right one by saying something like "fair enough", even if it isn't fair.

I like the mix of opinions. The show wouldn't work for me without both of them.

My biggest "nit-pick": too much focus on semantics: "mechanisms?", "rulesbooks?" Why are those presented as things to "argue" about?! But I know that's my issue more than one of the podcast.

I'll continue to download and listen to every show! Thanks for the time and effort you both put into it!

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:

I think that Don and Eric are capable of defending themselves...I guess Todd is too, but my point is he shouldn't have

Correct.

This is supposed to be fun, but with the opportunity for some real feedback. The out was there for goofiness if that's what contestants were more comfy with, but serious works as well. Todd didn't say anything that needed defending, at least not from me, and would still be able to win if he reposts his original review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
Don is hard to please, and often focuses on the fine details of a game's production and presentation. He occasionally presents his opinion as the only possible right one. Eric accepts a wider assortment of games. He frequently allows Don to get away with presenting his opinion as the only possible right one by saying something like "fair enough", even if it isn't fair.

Yup. Erik should call me out on my wilder or outrageous statements. It'd be more interesting if other opinions were offered, even if they were wrong. arrrh I mean "it would offer our listener more to think about". Though that's why three chairs work so well, one level headed peace maker and two people to scrap about ideas. If both Erik and I were extremely opinionated I'm not sure the show would be as good of a listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Review:

For a podcast all about model trains, this one really has a significant lack of model train talk. I started listening to this podcast hoping to hear something about the differences between TT trains and HO trains (Even though everybody knows there is no train better than a HO train). I would greatly appreciate it if you stopped talking about all of the board games and talk about HO trains. I have been looking for information about setting up the landscape and assessing the best track configuration. I have had a bunch of HO's lying around collecting dust because you ramble on and on about games. None of these episodes are worth anything, except episode 69.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my original review, slightly changed so it doesn't read so "mean-spirited" as that was NOT the intent. I have 10 hrs/day to listen to podcasts and I listen to pretty much every board gaming podcast out there (even The Dice Tower?!?). OBG is definitely one of the better ones, in my opinion. I have very strong opinions about games, movies, and apparently podcasts too!

My review of On Board Games:

Donald is the mean man of podcasting who says "brilliant" every other word.
Giles, a frequent guest, is one of the funniest dude I've heard.

Erik is somehow spelled Ayrk? - but...he's definitely a cool cat.

The new guy Jason Frye seriously outshined them right off the bat.

The review section is excellent and seriously worth a listen. But the main topics of the podcast are either too detailed or not interesting enough throughout the entire conversation. I would prefer more focus to be on the games themselves (comparing games, how the game feels, etc).

Donald comes across as a reviewer with very high standards for games and rules books especially! I don't love listening to Donald talk about games sometimes as he seems to sometimes come across a little jaded with very lofty standards.

Overall, there are pros and cons to this podcast and I do listen to each one that drops...but it is not my first choice. There is room for improvement and I'll have to give it a:

YELLOW LIGHT

***I must say that I have a new found respect for Donald as he personally geekmailed me recently to sincerely ask about the criticism levied in my review. I had been feeling bad and regretful for what I wrote, and I totally appreciate that he wasn't offended in the least. That was definitely a class act move and made me like the podcast even more! ***

Thanks,

Todd Kauk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.