The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Once mere visitors to this land, our heroes have been led by destiny's hand into the role of the protectors of Alterim. Now a force once forgotten has spread in secret and gathered it's followers together to overtake the unwitting many. Only this small group of champions stand between them and their dark victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

In the early hours of the day you leave the small village of Stelp and head towards the mountain range to the north, to meet with Gurdlor. You pass several small cottages along the way and by daybreak you've spotted Gurdlor's residence.

His house is a small stone building with a short chimney protruding from the roof, from which a thin stream of grey smoke escapes. Gurdlor is loading a small wagon with the help of a young dwarf boy. The wagon is hitched to a pair of strong looking ponies. Gurdlor is going through his inventory of ropes, pitons, grappling hooks, and pick axes as you approach...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Morning, Gurdlor. Apparently we're late."

Different spells for Tor today.

4 Orisons - Spark, Light, Create Water, Purify Food and Drink
5 Level 1 + 1 Domain - Endure Elements x5, True Strike(d)
3 Level 2 + 1 Domain - Spiritual Weapon, Bull's Strength x2, Bless Weapon(d)

Need two more Endure Elements spells from our paladin or rangers to cover everyone. Assuming that the boy isn't coming with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

"A beautiful day for climbing. Glad to see you made it. I must admit the thought of a good expedition has my blood pumping like it did in my youth."

He nods towards the young boy as he stows the last of the gear onto the wagon.

"Jordkar here will be coming along as far as the base of the mountains. He'll bring the ponies and wagon back here after we've unloaded the gear."

The wagon loaded, Jordkar heads off, guiding the ponies along a dirt path that snakes it's way north. Gurdlor surveys each and every one of you, one at a time, assessing your strength and preparedness.

"It looks like you're all ready, shall we go then? It would be a good idea to let me know just what you're looking for, or where you have in mind to go. Unless it's your intention to just wander the mountains aimlessly. Matters not to me, as long as I get my pay upon our return. I'm assuming five hundred gold per day is within your means?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Right," Barney exclaims. "Good morning and let us go forth into the mountains!" Barney makes sure all his gear is in order and that Honey is presentable after his night out. "What exactly we are looking for, if indeed we are looking for anything exactly, which is not to imply that we are, is a matter that, should it become relevant, we can discuss later. For the nonce, let's head to the mountains."

That sounded odd, Barney thinks. I'm not quite feeling myself the past few days...

After a bit of a pause, musing over the price, Barney adds "How many days to get into the mountains?"

Barney will prepare Endure Elements twice.

How many days have passed since the "strange fellows" came through town headed for the Whitetombs? Could Barney find a trail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gurldor, we follow others who have plotted against all the people of Alterim. If we find them we stand to save the people from great horror. Fail, and grave darkness will enshroud the land. Find us the trail they took."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Troxler
United States
Clover
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedidiah has completed his daily prayers, and has prepared his sword with his whetstone. "Anyone else need to use the whetstone before I put it away?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Na'al casts light on the whetstone. "Done. Thanks."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
"Right," Barney exclaims. "Good morning and let us go forth into the mountains!" Barney makes sure all his gear is in order and that Honey is presentable after his night out. "What exactly we are looking for, if indeed we are looking for anything exactly, which is not to imply that we are, is a matter that, should it become relevant, we can discuss later. For the nonce, let's head to the mountains."

That sounded odd, Barney thinks. I'm not quite feeling myself the past few days...

After a bit of a pause, musing over the price, Barney adds "How many days to get into the mountains?"

Barney will prepare Endure Elements twice.

How many days have passed since the "strange fellows" came through town headed for the Whitetombs? Could Barney find a trail?

As Barney babbles on, Gurdlor's eye's nearly spin out of his head! He finally replies, curtly, "We'll head to the mountains... got it."

He then spends a moment looking around Barney's head and face for any signs of recent trauma, before continuing, "We'll reach the foothills soon, unload and begin our climb. By nightfall we should have cleared the small front range of the Whitetombs and be standing at the base of "Klegor's" peak. (He speaks the name with more than a hint of disdain.) From there we can go east or west, but I don't think you're ready to ascend the peak itself."

You're three or four days behind the fellows in question. Assuming they actually went into the mountains, you would have no chance of tracking them, especially considering the frequent snowstorms up here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
OriginalDM wrote:
"Gurldor, we follow others who have plotted against all the people of Alterim. If we find them we stand to save the people from great horror. Fail, and grave darkness will enshroud the land. Find us the trail they took."

Gurdlor stop in his tracks. He stomps his foot down hard and moans, "ohhh, I knew it! Oh devils, I knew it! You're not on an expedition, you're on some sort of mystical quest or some other such foolishness! I should have known. Oh, devils and witches, damnation! Bloody fools. I'm no damn tracker, you know."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"We're looking for a lost artifact, Gurdlor. Any ruins up there? Tombs, crypts, monasteries, that sort of thing?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
reefgator wrote:
"We're looking for a lost artifact, Gurdlor. Any ruins up there? Tombs, crypts, monasteries, that sort of thing?"

Gurdlor sighs at Tor's question, "Dear brother. Not you too? How'd ya fall in with such a lot of jesters? I'd hoped you might be the one sane voice in this bunch. Oh, I've a mind to charge extra for this!"

He stares down at his feet as he walks and mumbles to himself about "silly tales" and "wayward souls" for several moments.

Finally he responds to Tor, "I suppose you'll be wantin to see the Fountain then. Of course."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"The Fountain?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Troxler
United States
Clover
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"What's this about a fountain?"

diplomacy 1d20+12 = (2) + 12 = 14

Apparently Jed's teeth are chattering in the cold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 410431. trox
  • 1d20+12 =
  • (2) + 12 =
  • diplomacy
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 1:56 am
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

"That's what we named it, many years ago. On the night I pulled ol' Ralley Klegor from the jaws of death itself. We'd spent two days trying to reach summit on the peak. Klegor was possessed by the feat, wouldn't take no for an answer. I told him we should turn back, wait til the weather cleared. He wouldn't have it. At least he finally let me plot the route that last attempt."

Gurdlor clears his throat, spits out a wad of phlem, and continues, "We was mere yards from the top when Ralley lost his footing and slid over the edge, grabbing on to me as he tumbled. Never do that, never try to grab someone who falls, and if you fall, don't grab no one either. Just adds more weight to the next in line. Let the ropes do their job and stay calm. Ralley knew that, but he still grabbed me leg. Nearly pulled us both over. Lucky for him I was much stronger back then, and was able to stop our slide and pull him up."

He pauses to see if anyone took note of his instructions.

"So, we made summit. Setup camp and slept at the highest place in the world that night. I was the last one awake. Couldn't sleep, kept replaying that moment from earlier over and over in me mind. Suddenly, a few hundred feet away, on the top of a lower summit to the east, I sees a curtain of green light sparkling in the darkness. Looked like a fountain of color. Woke up a few of the others, and they couldn't make no more of it than I. No idea what it was. The next morning the fog was so thick we couldn't barely see our feet. Never saw those lights, or Ralley's peak again."

No need for any more Diplomacy checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Orisons: Guidance, Light, Detect Magic
Level1: Shield of Faith, Shield of Faith, Shield (d)

In the meantime, Ivory has been making his own fountain at the side of the mountain path with his own non-magical version of the spell Create Water. He hitches up his breeches and walks over to Gurdlor- "Excellent! I've never been to these Whitetomb Mountains before and I really should take in these lights. Could you take us to it?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
Orisons: Guidance, Light, Detect Magic
Level1: Shield of Faith, Shield of Faith, Shield (d)

In the meantime, Ivory has been making his own fountain at the side of the mountain path with his own non-magical version of the spell Create Water. He hitches up his breeches and walks over to Gurdlor- "Excellent! I've never been to these Whitetomb Mountains before and I really should take in these lights. Could you take us to it?"

"Aye, it's to the fountain we shall go."

Without a guide you would be making Survival checks to find your way through the mountains, and the results would determine the DC of the Climb checks you would then make. Because you have hired the very best of guides you'll automatically get the easiest Climb checks!

Everyone make a DC 10 Climb check as you make your way up and into the lower section of the Whitetombs! Anyone who fails should go ahead and roll 1d6 to see how much damage they take from their fall. If you fail by 5 or more, make that 2d6!

Also, as you climb it gets colder and colder, especially as the sun begins to set.

Everyone make a DC15 Fortitude save, or suffer 1d6 of nonlethal damage and become Fatigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is winter clothing going to add its +2 bonus to the fort save, or does the fort save instead of survival check trump it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once it starts getting distressingly cold, Barney says "Would anyone care for some magical assistance against this cold weather? I have a spell that gives proof against it."

If anyone is interested Barney can cast Endure Elements on two different people. It lasts 24 hours.

Fortitude Save: 1d20+10 = (15) + 10 = 25

Edit: Forgot the climb check, to wit: 1d20-1 = (18) - 1 = 17
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 410712. Elfbane
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (15) + 10 =
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:13 pm
  • [+]
  • 410714. Elfbane
  • 1d20-1 =
  • (18) - 1 =
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:15 pm
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivory calls upon the Guidance of Abadar on the party as they climb...

Climb 1d20+9 = (8) + 9 = 17

As the climbing gets difficult, he grits his teeth and pushes on, again calling on Abadar's Guidance...

Fort Save 1d20+11 = (17) + 11 = 28

The physical challenges of Whitetomb are no obstacle for a barbarian of the Black Keep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 410737. not2fear
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (8) + 9 =
  • Climb
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 3:59 pm
  • [+]
  • 410738. not2fear
  • 1d20+11 =
  • (17) + 11 =
  • Fort Save
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 4:01 pm
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
OriginalDM wrote:
Is winter clothing going to add its +2 bonus to the fort save, or does the fort save instead of survival check trump it?

Hmmm. From this I gathered that the clothing only decreased the frequency of checks needed.

Quote:
Characters wearing a cold weather outfit only need check once per hour for cold and exposure damage.

Now I see that under the gear itself there is this...

Quote:
This outfit includes a wool coat, linen shirt, wool cap, heavy cloak, thick pants or skirt, and boots. This outfit grants a +5 circumstance bonus on Fortitude saving throws against exposure to cold weather.

So, go ahead and apply that bonus! Don't worry, it'll get even colder as you ascend into the higher altitudes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tor casts Endure Elements on the remaining 5 party members.

As he reaches the climb, Tor realizes that mountaineering and plate mail aren't a good mix. He shrugs out of his plate and dons his chain shirt.

Climb 1d20+4 = (20) + 4 = 24

Fort Save 1d20+9 = (4) + 9 = 13
Ninja'd. I missed the +5 bonus here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 410777. reefgator
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (20) + 4 =
  • Climb
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 5:24 pm
  • [+]
  • 410778. reefgator
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (4) + 9 =
  • Fort Save
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 5:31 pm
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Santis is able to find good footing in these mountains so far.

Climb 1d20+8 = (18) + 8 = 26

He notices the air get colder as the sun starts to set.

Fortitude 1d20+5 = (12) + 5 = 17
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 410798. bulldog93
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (18) + 8 =
  • Climb
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 6:24 pm
  • [+]
  • 410799. bulldog93
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (12) + 5 =
  • Fortitude
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 6:26 pm
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Na'al, feeling completely out of his element thanks whatever gods may be listening for skilled friends, and for his knowledge of the spell feather fall.

Fortitude 1d20+8 = (14) + 8 = 22

Climb 1d20+2 = (19) + 2 = 21, feather fall ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 410883. OriginalDM
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (14) + 8 =
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 9:15 pm
  • [+]
  • 410884. OriginalDM
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (19) + 2 =
  • Thu Aug 8, 2013 9:16 pm
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
OriginalDM wrote:

Hmmm. From this I gathered that the clothing only decreased the frequency of checks needed.

Quote:
Characters wearing a cold weather outfit only need check once per hour for cold and exposure damage.

Now I see that under the gear itself there is this...

Quote:
This outfit includes a wool coat, linen shirt, wool cap, heavy cloak, thick pants or skirt, and boots. This outfit grants a +5 circumstance bonus on Fortitude saving throws against exposure to cold weather.

So, go ahead and apply that bonus! Don't worry, it'll get even colder as you ascend into the higher altitudes!

Ah. Thought it was a bonus to survival. That make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [83] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.