Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm really, really late to this thread, but I just picked up the game on a whim today at my local game shop. I played a couple rounds with the stock rules, and then came here to look at alternate rules.

I think I really like the rules proposed in the first post of this thread, but since I currently am playing solo, I think the dungeon die re-roll needs further rules:

For solo play, after rolling the dungeon dice at the start of each level, one chest or potion die MUST be re-rolled. If no chest or potion is present, then a duplicate monster must be re-rolled. Only one die per level must be re-rolled. If all dice are unique monsters, then no re-roll is allowed. Dragons can't be re-rolled.

Other things I may add for myself:

After rolling the party dice at the start of a delve, any number of party dice may be re-rolled one time.

At the start of a delve, 2 XP may be discarded for one random treasure. (I will have to test this, and see if the number of XP should be higher or not.) If the character has been upgraded, the player must retain a minimum of 5 XP.

Only the Thief can open chests. He can open any number of them, after combat, and he does not get discarded.

Thief Tools can be used to open any number of chests on a single level, and is then discarded to the treasure box.

I'm still thinking it all out, and haven't read the whole thread yet. It may give me some more ideas, but some changes I've read don't appeal to me, so I might stick with this for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Peña
Uruguay
Ciudad de la Costa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play mostly solo. I would try your variant. Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for all the work that you've put into this.

Here's my small attempt at bringing a little more exposure to your variant.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/212099/item/4776834#item4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
Only the Thief can open chests. He can open any number of them, after combat, and he does not get discarded.

Thief Tools can be used to open any number of chests on a single level, and is then discarded to the treasure box.

I'm curious about how this changes things as I'd also like to do something different with chests then just passing on by.

Under vanilla ADL,BS,TP variant how are people handling chests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amadeus-Dorian Zalmanovici
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The champion should be the only one that could drink the potion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic,

I just wanted to let you know that 4 years later I still play exclusively with these 3 variants.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
NuMystic,

I just wanted to let you know that 4 years later I still play exclusively with these 3 variants.

Thank you.

So glad you're enjoying them! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just tried your variant. Here are my comment:

Scrolls: Interesting, but I got the issue where I rerolled dice 10 times in a row. A suggestion from a player, "scroll can reroll itself and up to 1 type of dice". It will prevent rolling everything multiple times to get a party full of champions.

Potions: Perfect as they are

Active Dungeon lord: We liked the idea of doing something as the dungeon lord, but it ends up that is reduce the number of chest and potion, making the game less interesting.

I was thinking that the Dungeon lord could be a full participating player. Here is an untested suggestion:

- The Dm roll secrtly the 7 dice to create his pool.
- When he assign dice to the player, he chose a type and push all dice of the same type until the nevel is reached. He continue until the the level requirement are filled.
- You can only push 1 dragon die per level.
- At the end, possibly you reroll the pushed dice.

For ex, level 5, player has 3 chest, 3 goblin, 1 dragon. If he asign chest, he must push all 3. So he assign all 3 goblins, 1 dragon and 1 chest.

This game, the dungeon master has some sort of forward planning to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |