Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Solitaire Deckbuilder with Standard Playing Cards - Components Ready
Designed for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

Object
Acquire all cards into your deck in as few turns as possible

Setup
You start with 10 cards in your deck, (all 2s & 3s, and two 4s). Also set asside the other 4s and two 5s for scoring. Shuffle the rest of the cards and lay out five of them (the lineup) for purchasing.

Turn overview
A turn consists of the following steps:
- increment your score/turn counter (see scoring below)
- draw 5 cards and use them to acquire other cards
- put all the cards used, unused, or acquired in your discard pile
- refresh the lineup back up to five cards

Gameplay details
Draw 5 cards from your deck each turn and buy cards using the values of the cards you've drawn. For example, you may buy a 10 of clubs by paying a 9 of diamonds and two of clubs. You do not get "change" for your purchase and the same card may never be used to buy more than one card.

You may only buy a card if you are using at least one card of the same suit.
If you buy a card using its exact value (a 6 using two 3s, for example), you may acquire another card from the lineup without paying anything for it. The "same suit" rule does not apply to the free card acquired in this way.

You may acquire as many cards from the lineup in a turn as you can afford/acquire.

Face cards (J, Q, K) may be acquired by paying their value (11, 12, 13), or (more likely) with the free card after an exact payment. When they are in your hand they may be used as their value (11, 12, 13), or you may discard them to draw additional cards from your deck. A Jack lets you draw one card, Queen two cards, and King three cards.

An ace may only be acquired as the free card from an exact value payment. Thus if the last card to be acquired is an ace and there are no other cards remaining in the lineup or lineup deck, this is the only way to lose the game. When an ace is in your hand, you may use it to acquire any card from the lineup regardless of suit or cost (other than an ace).

Scoring
Right now, your score is simply the number of turns it takes you to acquire all the cards in the lineup deck.

Lay a 4 and a 5 face-up near (but separate from) the play area. Place the other 4 and 5 face-down on top of them. The 4s are your "tens" counter and 5s are for 1s. On the first and subsequent turns, reveal one of the suit symbols on the face-up 5 by moving the face-down 5 on top of it. When you get to 5, flip the face-down 5 to face-up, and cover the other suit symbols. For six, move the top face-up card to revelal another symbol, etc.

(I hope this is explained well enough. I cannot take credit for this, as it's how my family has scored euchre for years.)

Feedback desired
I've played through this a bunch of times (best score was 12). I think the scoring is the weakest part right now. Definitely looking for ideas on how to improve that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered to add a theme to the game? And yes I realize that theme can only go so far, when you're using standard playing cards .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played two games, scoring 12 in my first and 11 in my second.

A couple of questions:

grid wrote:

When an ace is in your hand, you may use it to acquire any card from the lineup regardless of suit or cost (other than an ace).

Can I use an ace for a value of 1 to combine with other cards? For example, in the game I had the situation came up where there was a Queen and an Ace in the lineup, and I had a Jack and an Ace in my hand; can I spend the Jack-Plus-Ace to buy the Queen, making it an exact-cost purchase and thus picking up the Ace as well?

(I assumed yes.)

grid wrote:

If you buy a card using its exact value (a 6 using two 3s, for example), you may acquire another card from the lineup without paying anything for it. The "same suit" rule does not apply to the free card acquired in this way.

What happens when I get a free pickup that I can't take? For example, in my second game, I happened to be able to perfectly match the value of three of the cards in the lineup. The first two matches allowed me to pick up two of the other cards for free, but after that there were no more cards to take, so I had one free pickup 'left over'!

(I just took the next card off the lineup deck into my discard, whatever it was... but it took me quite some thinking to work out how I could use the cards in my hand to get three equal matches, so I felt like I deserved it. If I'd just luckily drawn exactly what I needed and it had been obvious, I probably wouldn't have felt entitled to it!)

Despite sharing some obvious mechanics, I have to say it doesn't feel a lot like a deckbuilder. Probably because unlike your average deckbuilding game, I wasn't really considering what I was buying in comparison to other things at any time - just trying to capture the highest-value cards in the lineup each turn, because those are the hardest to capture and therefore the biggest impediment to eventual victory.

I don't think that's necessarily such a bad thing, it plays pretty well just as a straight time-eating solitaire game (reminds me a little of Adaman, as it goes), so I'm not sure that anything really needs to be done to address this. But I'm also not sure that I'd describe it as a "deckbuilding" game as it stands, because the feel is very different.

A couple of variant/rule-suggestions came to me while I was playing. Not to suggest that I think any of these would necessarily make the game better, but just to put them out there.

- Maybe allow capture of non-suit-matching cards if you can pay double the face cost? I had one hand, for example, where I'd drawn a couple of face cards, discarded them for more draws, drawn another couple of face cards... so I ended up with a large number of cards in hand. I could match four of the cards on the lineup, but didn't have enough suit matches to be able to pick up the last one at all (nearly all the cards I'd picked up were black, and the lineup was all red). It seemed a bit of a waste! It only happened to me because the 6th to 10th cards in the lineup were all Queens and Kings, I expect if a player is in that situation in the first place it's probably because they had a tough couple of turns like that immediately previous, so it may be worth giving them a break.

- Maybe allow some other hand-filtering options? Perhaps discard two or three cards from your hand to draw a new one? It's a bit annoying to draw a hand which is incapable of picking anything up at all simply because none of your suits match.

- The early game is arguably easier than the mid-game, face cards aside, because you have lots of little bitty cards that you can more-easily make an exact value with. The first two or three rounds in the three games I played I was probably averaging four cards captured a turn, counting free pickups. After the midway point my average was probably down to three or two and a half. Maybe add some awkward high-value cards in the starting hand as well? Remove two of the twos and add two tens, or something? It makes it more likely that the player can spend that single card to capture a single lesser one, but less likely they can use the free pick-up to capture some high-value or non-suit cards.

- If you did want something more like a typical deckbuilder, I'd suggest laying out most of the cards in pre-set stacks at the beginning of the game, which is the biggest difference to me. With known stacks, I'm spending most of my buying time thinking "which of these choices is going to be most useful to me down the line?"; with a limited number of randomly drawn cards available, I was thinking "I have no idea what's coming next, only a vague statistical inference from the average value of the cards I've seen. And I won't have much control over which cards I have available to deal with them. So I may as well just play to capture as many as possible".

You could even do a half-and-half; separate the face cards from the deck, shuffle them and randomly deal out three stacks of four or four stacks of three face down. Show the top card only, like the stacks in Klondike/Patience. Then deal out the five card lineup as before, and only allow people to buy face cards with exact change. So if I can make a face card in value I'm probably giving up picking up a couple of lesser cards, which means more turns taken to clear the deck. But I need to capture them sooner or later, and they'll be useful when they crop up later. (I half suspect that it will just be automatic to play for a face card if you can capture one, it'd take a bit of testing, I guess.)

grid wrote:

I think the scoring is the weakest part right now. Definitely looking for ideas on how to improve that.

I would say that both the face-card exchange and the wild aces both make the hand they're used on significantly easier most of the time. I would say that about 50% of the times that I drew face cards, they would have been discarded without a match due to suit, but exchanging them for more draws meant I could match a value exactly and pick up at least two more cards... which almost makes a King more valuable than an Ace.
One time I had the choice between using a King to capture one card or swapping for three and possibly being able to pick up the whole lineup at once, and then drew a crappy selection of cards that took me a couple of minutes to even work out how to get as good a score as I would have done with the King, but only one time in two games!

Discarding an Ace to pick up any other card sounds like it's pretty useful, but in practice I think it was generally only as useful as the Jacks; a lot of the time I could use a Jack to pick up a card from the lineup because it was a non-face-card of the same suit, a lot of the time that I traded them in for another draw the new draw got me an exact match that got me effectively two cards. Maybe I was lucky, and I'd still rate the Ace above the Jack because of the certainty it provides, but I'd have a hard time deciding if I'd prefer to have an Ace or a Queen in my hand, and I think I'd go for the King in preference every time, particularly if it was early in the game and I'd picked up a few face cards already.

My instinctive suggestion is to add points to your score if you use a face card or an Ace, which would mean two things:
- There's a more significant decision to make when you have a Queen or a King in your hand: do you think you'll get enough useful-enough cards for your exchange to make it worth this basically counting as a double turn?
- The scoring is based a little more on your decisions as opposed to the luck of the deal.

However, simply done as extra points when you use a face card or an Ace would probably lead to them not getting used at all at present, because of the scale of that penalty compared to the current point-per-turn scoring. So if this approach was adopted, either the point-per-turn scoring would need to be changed (perhaps two points or even three points a turn) or the face cards would have to be made more valuable (maybe drawing more extra cards).

I'd lean toward the latter, so perhaps something like:

- Jack gets you three cards, Queen gets you four and King gets you five; pay a point every time you use a face card

or

- Jack gets you two, Queen three and King four; pay a point if you exchange any face cards in your turn

I prefer the latter of these instinctively - for what it's worth I played another game with those rules, and scored 15 (which obviously isn't directly comparable) and felt like I was making more decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

You could even do a half-and-half; separate the face cards from the deck, shuffle them and randomly deal out three stacks of four or four stacks of three face down. Show the top card only, like the stacks in Klondike/Patience. Then deal out the five card lineup as before, and only allow people to buy face cards with exact change.

I was curious, so I tried this too. I was over in 8 turns, one of which was very long and I cycled my deck about eight times fishing out enough cards to capture all of the face cards in about turn three or four of the game. So yeah, maybe not. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Have you considered to add a theme to the game? And yes I realize that theme can only go so far, when you're using standard playing cards .

Heh. I had not considered it. I will do so now... nope, too much work. (Kidding!) I will give this some thought.

Bichatse wrote:
I played two games, scoring 12 in my first and 11 in my second.

Hey Jake, first off, this is amazing feedback, really valuable! Thanks so much for taking the time.

Bichatse wrote:
A couple of questions:

grid wrote:

When an ace is in your hand, you may use it to acquire any card from the lineup regardless of suit or cost (other than an ace).

Can I use an ace for a value of 1 to combine with other cards? For example, in the game I had the situation came up where there was a Queen and an Ace in the lineup, and I had a Jack and an Ace in my hand; can I spend the Jack-Plus-Ace to buy the Queen, making it an exact-cost purchase and thus picking up the Ace as well?

(I assumed yes.)

Short answer: I think yes also. I believe I allowed myself to do this in one playtest too, although for me the ace "ability" felt much more powerful than it sounds like it did for you.

Bichatse wrote:
grid wrote:

What happens when I get a free pickup that I can't take? For example, in my second game, I happened to be able to perfectly match the value of three of the cards in the lineup. The first two matches allowed me to pick up two of the other cards for free, but after that there were no more cards to take, so I had one free pickup 'left over'!

(I just took the next card off the lineup deck into my discard, whatever it was... but it took me quite some thinking to work out how I could use the cards in my hand to get three equal matches, so I felt like I deserved it. If I'd just luckily drawn exactly what I needed and it had been obvious, I probably wouldn't have felt entitled to it!)

Well, obviously, it's a solo game, so you can do what you want but I probably wouldn't have allowed you the extra card. When you've picked up all the cards in the lineup, I think that's it for your turn, no matter what you've got left in your hand.

Bichatse wrote:
Despite sharing some obvious mechanics, I have to say it doesn't feel a lot like a deckbuilder. Probably because unlike your average deckbuilding game, I wasn't really considering what I was buying in comparison to other things at any time - just trying to capture the highest-value cards in the lineup each turn, because those are the hardest to capture and therefore the biggest impediment to eventual victory.

I don't think that's necessarily such a bad thing, it plays pretty well just as a straight time-eating solitaire game (reminds me a little of Adaman, as it goes), so I'm not sure that anything really needs to be done to address this. But I'm also not sure that I'd describe it as a "deckbuilding" game as it stands, because the feel is very different.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with this assessment. I think the main reason it doesn't feel like a deck builder is that you're trying to acquire ALL the cards. So there's no real "building" involved. (This suggests to me some other mechanics, actually. Where maybe you have the option of buying a card, or "scoring" a card in some other way.) This design is a one-off for the contest, and I'm actually much more interested in a multiplayer game using this same concept (but quite possibly very different mechanics).

Thanks for the comparison to Adaman. I haven't played that one (but do have a decktet!), so I'll have to check that one out in the near future.

Bichatse wrote:
A couple of variant/rule-suggestions came to me while I was playing.

These are great! Again, thanks so much for your suggestions. I will probably play some games with many of them (all of them!?) and see what I like. I actually like the idea of setting out stacks rather than the current "lineup" quite a bit. I'll have to see how that plays.

Bichatse wrote:
One time I had the choice between using a King to capture one card or swapping for three and possibly being able to pick up the whole lineup at once, and then drew a crappy selection of cards that took me a couple of minutes to even work out how to get as good a score as I would have done with the King, but only one time in two games!

This is really cool, and exactly the sort of thing I found interesting enough about this game to post it.

Bichatse wrote:
My instinctive suggestion is to add points to your score if you use a face card or an Ace, which would mean two things:
- There's a more significant decision to make when you have a Queen or a King in your hand: do you think you'll get enough useful-enough cards for your exchange to make it worth this basically counting as a double turn?
- The scoring is based a little more on your decisions as opposed to the luck of the deal.

However, simply done as extra points when you use a face card or an Ace would probably lead to them not getting used at all at present, because of the scale of that penalty compared to the current point-per-turn scoring. So if this approach was adopted, either the point-per-turn scoring would need to be changed (perhaps two points or even three points a turn) or the face cards would have to be made more valuable (maybe drawing more extra cards).

I'd lean toward the latter

Huh. I like this suggestion a lot, but definitely lean toward the former. In my plays, I had several hands where I would use a king to draw 3 cards, then draw half my deck because I drew more face cards. So I actually think the face cards are powerful enough already (if not too powerful!). Dunno, I will definitely be thinking about (and playtesting) these ideas in the near future.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't actually specify when you reshuffle--same as Dominion, I assume?

Haven't tried playing, but my instinct would be to add another mechanic that involves scoring by removing cards from your deck, both so that you have a more interesting scoring system and so that you have more choice about what cards you keep in your deck. That's just a gut reaction, though.

Bichatse wrote:
Bichatse wrote:

You could even do a half-and-half; separate the face cards from the deck, shuffle them and randomly deal out three stacks of four or four stacks of three face down. Show the top card only, like the stacks in Klondike/Patience. Then deal out the five card lineup as before, and only allow people to buy face cards with exact change.

I was curious, so I tried this too. I was over in 8 turns, one of which was very long and I cycled my deck about eight times fishing out enough cards to capture all of the face cards in about turn three or four of the game. So yeah, maybe not. ;-)

Did you play that you have to buy the face cards by paying their exact face value, or did you play that you picked them up as your "free extra" when you buy something else with exact change?

Either way, I think you must be playing something very differently from how I understood the rules; finishing the game in 8 turns isn't trivially impossible (though I'm not certain it's possible, either), but reshuffling 8 times while you do it definitely is (in fact, I doubt you can even reshuffle 4 times).

Notice that you don't place anything in your discard pile (either cards you played or cards you acquired) until AFTER you are done playing and acquiring cards for the current turn, which means you can never reshuffle more than once in any given turn. And I'm pretty sure that you can't reshuffle more than once in the first 3 turns, and can't possibly draw more than about half your deck on your final turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
You don't actually specify when you reshuffle--same as Dominion, I assume?

Ahhhh... Yes, like dominion, for sure. I'll have to think about the best way too phrase that also. Thanks for pointing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grid wrote:
Ahhhh... Yes, like dominion, for sure. I'll have to think about the best way too phrase that also.

Something like: "If your deck is empty when you need to draw a card, shuffle your discard pile to form a new deck and continue drawing. (Never shuffle unless necessary to finish drawing.)"

I've said it many times while teaching Dominion and For the Crown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:

my instinct would be to add another mechanic that involves scoring by removing cards from your deck, both so that you have a more interesting scoring system and so that you have more choice about what cards you keep in your deck

I'd second this tentatively - I suspect it would work well for the first half of the game, where for any card you pick up you can be fairly sure you'll see it more than once again...
However, nearer the end of the game you're really just going to be down to pure luck as to whether the cards remaining in your deck that you could score are dealt to you or not, so I'd expect the same strategy to result in significantly different scores for that reason alone.

(And the same problem remains that the point-per-turn scoring doesn't really have significant granularity to fit many other point-scoring notions against it, so I'd still suggest altering the number of points per turn.)

Antistone wrote:

Either way, I think you must be playing something very differently from how I understood the rules
Notice that you don't place anything in your discard pile (either cards you played or cards you acquired) until AFTER you are done playing and acquiring cards for the current turn, which means you can never reshuffle more than once in any given turn.

This was the thing that was different; looking back at the rules I can see how you draw this conclusion, but since it was from the turn summary and I was concentrating on the main body of the turn description when I had questions as to what I should or shouldn't be able to do or the details of the procedure, I missed it. I was playing that when you pay to acquire cards, the cards you pay and the cards you acquire go directly to the discard. This was possibly driven as much from playing on my study desk with limited space as well, though! ;-)

(I'm pretty sure this only came up the one time, in the game I was trying out having stacks of face cards, though - I'd concentrated on going for all face cards until I exhausted them, to see if it was a trivially winning strategy, so by the fourth turn I had enough face cards to finish off my draw deck, and allowing the cycling and allowing more than one purchase from the same stack on the same turn meant that I could keep going in a single turn until I had all the face cards, and then hit the lineup with a pretty consistent five-cards-a-turn rate.)

EDIT: Oh, and I played that you had to buy the face cards with exact value, and didn't get a free pickup for doing so.

Antistone wrote:

finishing the game in 8 turns isn't trivially impossible (though I'm not certain it's possible, either)

I'm fairly sure it's possible while playing by the rules above, but realistically only technically possible rather than practically possible. Without the facility of the face cards to draw more cards from your deck you would need pretty much perfect luck and optimal play to get the game out in 8 turns. Since every card in your starting deck is lower in value than every card in the lineup deck, for the first two turns while you're going through your starting deck you can capture a maximum of four cards per turn; from that point onwards you would have to clear the lineup every single turn, meaning you have to be able to acquire three cards, at least two of which with matching values. Probably not possible without the face cards, but I'd expect that with lucky draws it would be technically possible with them.

Antistone wrote:

And I'm pretty sure that you can't reshuffle more than once in the first 3 turns, and can't possibly draw more than about half your deck on your final turn.

Depending on what you mean by "in your first three turns" it's either trivially impossible or possible-but-very-unlikely.

If you mean "before the discard of your third turn" then it's trivially impossible, because you will be drawing from your initial deck for the entirety of both of your first two turns, shuffling at the beginning of your third turn to draw your third turn's hand, meaning that (by the rule you clarified above) the shuffle can't happen again until after the third turn discard.

However, if you mean "while drawing up for the hand for your fourth turn" then it's possible, but very, very unlikely. It's theoretically possible to capture four kings (maximum throughput) in the first two turns: you'd need 4 kings in the first seven cards of the lineup deck, of course, then hands of (4, 4, 3, 2, 2) and (3, 3, 3, 2, 2) to capture a king each turn perfectly and take another king for free.
From then, on your third turn you'd be drawing five cards from your fourteen-card deck to start with, leaving nine; from there you only need to have drawn three of those four kings to be able to exhaust the nine and need to shuffle again in order to draw your fourth-turn hand.

On the final turn, presuming that you've captured all of the face cards by then, you could theoretically get through:
5 cards from your initial draw
12 cards from four kings
8 cards from four queens
4 cards from four jacks

for a total of 29 cards - which is about two-thirds of your deck. But again, it's pretty unlikely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hagrid fang
msg tools
OK, here are my ideas to change the scoring system, and add a new lose condition.

When setting up, don't remove any 4s or 5s: they won't be needed for scoring this time. Add the two jokers to the deck. If either of them show up in the first lineup of cards to buy, replace it with another card from the "lineup" deck, and shuffle the joker back into the deck. Play continues as normal.

If a joker is in the lineup after refreshing, draw the top 5 cards of your deck. If you have a matching ace (red ace matching with red joker, black ace with black joker), Trash (i.e. remove from the game) that ace, and the joker, then shuffle the other 4 cards back into your deck. If you don't have a matching ace, trash all 5 cards, then shuffle the joker back into the "lineup" deck, and refresh the lineup back to 5 again. If it's a joker again, repeat the steps above.

In the rare case that both jokers show up after refreshing, draw the top 10 cards from your deck, and either trash a red and black ace to trash both Jokers, shuffling the remaining 8 cards back into your deck, or trash all 10 cards and reshuffle the jokers back into the "lineup" deck.

Edit: For an easier game, instead of trashing "matching" aces, trash any ace.

If you cannot draw 5 cards into your hand at the start of your turn, you lose.

The game ends when the "lineup" deck is empty; trash all remaining cards in the lineup.

To count your score, count the amount of victory points in your deck/discard pile, using these values:
A - 0vp
2/3 - 1vp
4/5 - 2vp
6/7 - 3vp
8/9 - 4vp
10/J- 5vp
Q/K - 6vp

Edit: Alternatively, count the number of cards in your deck/discard pile for your score.

This is my first post on bgg, and the first time I ever thought of rules for a game, so I don't know if this would be considered an improvement of your core idea or not, but I found that it made the game far more tense when there was a genuine risk of losing, rather than just being a high-score affair. Let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hagridandfang wrote:
If a joker is in the lineup after refreshing, draw the top 5 cards of your deck. If you have a matching ace (red ace matching with red joker, black ace with black joker), Trash (i.e. remove from the game) that ace, and the joker, then shuffle the other 4 cards back into your deck. If you don't have a matching ace, trash all 5 cards, then shuffle the joker back into the "lineup" deck, and refresh the lineup back to 5 again. If it's a joker again, repeat the steps above.

I think if you have to trash all 5 cards, you're removing any strategy of the game. It's pure chance that the Joker comes out and it's mostly chance if an ace comes into your hand at the same time.

I think there needs to be an option. The rule you're suggesting somewhat reminds me of Onrim. I'd think that if this rule was in you'd want it to be something like...

If a joker is in the line up pick one of:
- Trash an Ace and the Joker
- Trash all the cards in your hand and the Joker
- Trash 2 (or maybe 3) of the cards in your hand and reshuffle the Joker back into the deck

This might give a bit of strategy... it allows you to trim your deck and keep the joker in or take the whack if you've got a really bad hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference with the original ruleset, got a score of 12 on first play. I suppose the best score that can be gotten is 8... not sure if there's much room to improve.

Thought the rule change I suggested is a bit so-so. Put Jokers and 4 & 5s in.

Played it as if you took the option to trash two cards when the joker came out you didn't draw the cards back to replace the two you trashed that turn and you don't replace the 5th spot of the market for that turn.

The game went for 18 rounds. Before the last round had a total of 16 (generally low cards) in the trash. Each time a Joker had come up I opted to do the 2 card trash. In the end, the two Jokers were the last two card... so I suppose technically I should discard 10 cards in the end.

I suppose it might be possible for the score to be the total of the trash - the # of rounds.... but perhaps this is diverging from the original design too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be an updated set of rules consolidating these ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin may not particularly like the ideas. I think the only idea that he he has said he's considering is the adding points each time you use a face card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Will there be an updated set of rules consolidating these ideas?

Which ones?! hehe. (Seriously though, there have been so many good and interesting suggestions in this thread that the percentage of my own contribution to this game feels like it's dwindling daily!)

urbaer wrote:
Martin may not particularly like the ideas. I think the only idea that he he has said he's considering is the adding points each time you use a face card.

I'm open, but yeah, still in the considering phase. To be honest, I haven't had a chance to playtest many of these yet. (I have only playtested this twice so far, after first coming up with the rules, and then again with some of Jake's suggestions.)

I do think adding "a lose condition" (or perhaps just an end condition) as well as "points for cards" is a good idea, so thanks to hagrid fang! (And also welcome to BGG!) I do think it may change the game to the point that it is less recognizable as the original, but maybe that's okay! As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I want to come up with some rules that are fun to play multiplayer as well as single player, so everything is probably up in the air at this point, but I will definitely post again if I define a substantially different set of rules that I end up liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
The entry deadline for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is Midnight (MST) October 5th. Will this game be complete by that time? If not, the game will be removed from the entry list but will be eligible to be entered in next year's contest.

Thanks! I hope to see more about this game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris,

I don't really have time to shore this up for the contest. Maybe next year. (Although wouldn't the "Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available" rule disqualify this?)

Thanks to everyone who helped playtest here, I have a lot of ideas for the next version of this. There is just not enough time today to give it the attention it would need. (I even had a calendar reminder set for Thursday to give this some more attention, but I've had a busy last few days.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got curious and searched Google for a solitaire deckbuilder with standard playing cards, and lo and behold, here I am. Did anything ever evolve from this? Or is the first post the extent of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Patts
msg tools
I did the exact same thing just yesterday...surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.