Recommend
92 
 Thumb up
 Hide
75 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Rahdo Runs Through» Forums » News

Subject: Full Disclosure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Use only as directed by your significant other.
Oh... I didn't do this... no wonder my wallet suddenly ends up in her hands when I watch your videos

Further Off Topic: Actually I lie, she watched the Escape video and demanded that we get it
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about just adding some little text to the bottom of the Rahdo Runs Through sign you hold up at the front of every video. Something like: "People sometimes give me games for free."

That way, you don't have to remember to say anything, and anyone who watches more than one video (and probably even just one) can easily ignore it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Lapointe
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy your videos immensely
I can honestly say they are my favorites of all reviews I watch.

The main value for me is in your runthrough itself as I feel I can draw my own conclusions on the game after watching them and get a good enough understanding of the game. Subjectivity is not a factor here.

I do like your Final Thoughts as well, but I trust you enough after watching the runthrough to figure out if your impressions are in line with the game I just saw you play.

I don't think people watching the videos are "owed" anything in terms of disclosure... it's for the most part a runthrough, not a review, and certainly not a paid one, nor are you solicitating review copies... and the fact that the review is preceeded with a very exhautive game demo pretty much brushes away empty praises, however, it's very considerate of you to put us in the loop at all.

I follow many reviewers and the minute they get traction, they get the attention of game designers and publishers and demands to review prototypes and published games... this is how it works. It only speaks to the quality of your work.

(PS: Really hoping to see you do that Pathfinder card game)
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the full disclosure is implied by doing the play through in the first place. If it was just a straight review, then I think it should be mentioned if you're being paid or have a free copy from the designer. But I think a play through is different because it is showing us how the game plays and we can see it for ourselves. How can you make a game better or worse when we can all see it being played?

The game play is what I use to determine if I like a game or not...the commentary is just an added bonus. So I say just keep on doing what you've been doing.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ichabod Crane
South Korea
flag msg tools
Richard,

You are the only reviewer that actually motivates me to buy games; not your final thoughts, but your run through (I bought Android Netrunner following your Run Through, a game that you traded away as not for you and Jen)

Disclose or not how you got the game, I do not care.
It would however be interesting for you to do Run Throughs of games you did not like.
If you do not want to be too negative, you can simply, at the end of the Run Through say that since the game did not sing to you, you will not give your opinion. We will all know you did not like it, and fom the Run Through we will probably know why.

In any case, thanks for your videos (please run through Claustrophobia),
Cheers,

Cedric
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wouldn't sweat it too much. The transparency you showed through this disclosure is enough, especially as a hobbyist. If some day you can somehow monetize this into a business, then having some sort of legal blurb might be appropriate. Until then, continue to have fun and thank you for your great vids!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Said it before (also to Richard privately), and I'll say it again. Richard is too nice - we have been spoiled. He doesn't owe us anything, we owe him, on so many levels.

(Full disclosure, I've sent 2 prototypes to Malta)
(Fuller disclosure, Richard is currently in my spare bedroom, in advance of heading out to Paros in 3 hours or so)
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cowen
United States
Union Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed watching some of your run throughs, even though I'm not much of a Euro gamer, I've found them informative and entertaining. I especially appreciate when you delineate you might like or not like a particular game and why. However, allowing publishers to "opt out" of having a review posted is lame. You've mentioned in your videos that you were a video game designer, did your company get to "opt out" of reviews by various video game media outlets? I really don't understand the logic in that decision. Why do reviews at all? Or do you consider yourself a promoter and not a reviewer?

I watched your Myth play though. I was particularly struck when you spent 45 minutes and basically nothing happened. Then after your final thoughts I knew the game wasn't for me; although I enjoy dungeon crawl games immensely. Before, your review I was considering purchasing the game(plus some add ons) and have it shipped to The Kingdom, which would have cost a pretty penny. Anyway, your review saved me money and most likely frustration in wasting time playing the game. But, if the publisher had opted out, I would have wasted my money on a turkey, instead of buying a good game(I ordered Gears of War and Thunderbolt Apache Leader instead). What other industry gets to "opt out" of reviews? If you were going to purchase a car and all the reviews pointing out deficiencies in the car where removed, how would you feel about the reviewers who let the car company "opt out" of the review?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aeneas2467 wrote:
I've enjoyed watching some of your run throughs, even though I'm not much of a Euro gamer, I've found them informative and entertaining. I especially appreciate when you delineate you might like or not like a particular game and why. However, allowing publishers to "opt out" of having a review posted is lame. You've mentioned in your videos that you were a video game designer, did your company get to "opt out" of reviews by various video game media outlets? I really don't understand the logic in that decision. Why do reviews at all? Or do you consider yourself a promoter and not a reviewer?
Well, I don't consider myself a reviewer at all, which is why I continually say that people should ignore my opinions and judge the game for themselves based on the runthrough.

As for the logic, I offer this "opt out" when a publisher spends lots of money trying to get me a copy of the game (shipping to Malta isn't cheap) - not when it's bought with my own cash, or with cash provided to me by backers. I have an obligation to whoever made me able to hold the copy of the game in my hands. If it was backers, then I make sure they get their money's worth. If it was a publisher, I make sure they get the option to decide whether they get their sales negatively impacted.

Most reviewers don't give the publisher that option, I know, but I don't claim to be a reviewer.

Quote:
I watched your Myth play though. I was particularly struck when you spent 45 minutes and basically nothing happened. Then after your final thoughts I knew the game wasn't for me; although I enjoy dungeon crawl games immensely. Before, your review I was considering purchasing the game(plus some add ons) and have it shipped to The Kingdom, which would have cost a pretty penny. Anyway, your review saved me money and most likely frustration in wasting time playing the game.
Well, actually, you specifically said it was my runthrough that saved you the cash, not my "review". If I could do videos without the final thoughts portion, so they are 100% all about the game and not my opinions, then I would do runthroughs for every game I get from publishers.

But unfortunately, folks pretty much demand my opinions, and I'm personally the type of person who believes in the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" persuasion. So I HATE HATE HATE giving negative reviews, and if I already don't want to do it, and the publisher themselves don't want me to do it, and they were the ones that got me the game, why would I do it?

Quote:
But, if the publisher had opted out, I would have wasted my money on a turkey, instead of buying a good game(I ordered Gears of War and Thunderbolt Apache Leader instead). What other industry gets to "opt out" of reviews? If you were going to purchase a car and all the reviews pointing out deficiencies in the car where removed, how would you feel about the reviewers who let the car company "opt out" of the review?
Well, the thing is, I'm not a professional paid reviewer with a sworn obligation to my audience to report the truth at all costs. I'm just a guy with a camera who tapes himself while playing games.

I guess I look at it this way: if a publisher spends considerable expense to get me a game, and I don't like it, and I put up a video saying I don't like it, then I know I have impacted that publisher's ability to stay in business or ever make another game. That is the reality of it. I have no desire to contribute to a company folding/people losing their jobs/having their dreams shattered. That is just awful to me, and having been on the other side of the fence as a games developer myself, I can't bring myself to blithely savage games when I realize what is at stake.

Hence, I give the publishers the opt out, and I let everybody know about it here, so everything is on the up and up.

40 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddy Roggenbauer
United States
Brillion
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aeneas2467 wrote:
I've enjoyed watching some of your run throughs, even though I'm not much of a Euro gamer, I've found them informative and entertaining. I especially appreciate when you delineate you might like or not like a particular game and why. However, allowing publishers to "opt out" of having a review posted is lame. You've mentioned in your videos that you were a video game designer, did your company get to "opt out" of reviews by various video game media outlets? I really don't understand the logic in that decision. Why do reviews at all? Or do you consider yourself a promoter and not a reviewer

I don't mean to speak for Richard but I don't feel he has ever considered himself a reviewer. He even calls his videos "run throughs" as opposed to reviews. I believe that he has stated many times that he does not really want to try to tell whether a game is good or bad, rather, he wants to show you how it works. I enjoy his Final thoughts but use it as "flavor text" to what I've already seen in the video. I actually do kind of agree that he is an unpaid promoter but he is promoting the board game industry and not a particular game--by him playing several rounds of the game, he is essentially letting you decide if that is promoting the game or not. Other reviewers don't do round by round turns and are giving more of their opinions where you don't have that baseline of what your eyes told you while watching the run through.

Once again, this is just my 2 cents for what I see and take from Rahdo's run throughs and may not be what the next person takes from it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddy Roggenbauer
United States
Brillion
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ugh--Ninja'ed by the master ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you honestly feel that it's somehow Richard's obligation to publicly hold game creators' feet to the fire when they send him a game that he does not enjoy, then I feel like you may have missed the point of what RRT is and why he does this.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can't stress enough that this is something I do when publishers 'donate' copies of games to me. Bear in mind, it's not much fun at all to do a runthrough for a game I don't like, so when I give publishers the 'opt out', it's really sort of the opposite... I've already opted out because I don't want to do the vid to begin with, but I feel that would be unfair to them if they they "really" want me to do it anyway since they game me the game, so if their answer is yes, I'll do it.

That's exactly what happened with Myth, btw. That game was going to be a slog for me to cover... and it took me dozens and dozens of hours of prep. If they had not said "yeah, do the vid", I wouldn't have done it, not to save them the the 'negative review', but to save me the work!
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mentioned this before, but I still think that you do review games. Admittedly the line between opinion and review is blurred, but I'd count it as a review.

HOWEVER - I'm happy that Richard let's people opt out - I'd much rather that, than him lie about the game.

It's tough doing a runthrough of a game you don't enjoy - I know, I've done one.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to say, I love the policy. If there is a RRT of a game, you know it's honest and you can watch it. If there is no RRT of a game, he may have made a vid and never posted it and nobody will ever know (well, a few probably will). There'll be many other reviews of the game you can watch and make your own decision.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerome75 wrote:
I enjoy your videos immensely
I can honestly say they are my favorites of all reviews I watch.

The main value for me is in your runthrough itself as I feel I can draw my own conclusions on the game after watching them and get a good enough understanding of the game. Subjectivity is not a factor here.

....

(PS: Really hoping to see you do that Pathfinder card game)

He did it back in sep. Or october i think, and its one of the few videos in which jen makes an appearance.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
Jerome75 wrote:
I enjoy your videos immensely
I can honestly say they are my favorites of all reviews I watch.

The main value for me is in your runthrough itself as I feel I can draw my own conclusions on the game after watching them and get a good enough understanding of the game. Subjectivity is not a factor here.

....

(PS: Really hoping to see you do that Pathfinder card game)

He did it back in sep. Or october i think, and its one of the few videos in which jen makes an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuYK-RAeuXE
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Well, I don't consider myself a reviewer at all, which is why I continually say that people should ignore my opinions and judge the game for themselves based on the runthrough.
So if you were a reviewer then your opinion would be relevant? Doesn't the fact that you provide an opinion make you a reviewer by that logic?

rahdo wrote:
If I could do videos without the final thoughts portion, so they are 100% all about the game and not my opinions, then I would do runthroughs for every game I get from publishers.
You seem to be clearly delineating that the pieces without your opinion are the "not-review" parts.

rahdo wrote:
But unfortunately, folks pretty much demand my opinions, and I'm personally the type of person who believes in the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" persuasion. So I HATE HATE HATE giving negative reviews,
So the reason you don't cover games you don't enjoy is because you don't want to give a negative review. You're still saying that your opinion is what makes it a review.

So while you may have an idea in your head that you aren't a reviewer... clearly by your own logic you are. And I love that you are! I value your opinion. So stop ducking it and accept the fact that you do provide reviews. If you want to break it apart and call the final thoughts your review, and the rest of it your runthrough... fine. But no more pretending you aren't what you are.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So the reason you don't cover games you don't enjoy is because you don't want to give a negative review. You're still saying that your opinion is what makes it a review.
I'd basically prefer not to do negative videos because

1) the fun/work ratio is less than ideal

2) I feel lousy doing it because I know I'm potentially hurting people who are just trying to make their dreams come true

So it's generally a lose/lose, which is why tend to avoid them, unless the publisher wants me to do it, or voters do (either way, people who have given me something, so I feel obligated to return their kindness )
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I'd basically prefer not to do negative videos
Wouldn't a negative video have to be a review? If you're simply presenting the facts, it's neither positive or negative, it simply is.

I get that you don't feel comfortable with the title of reviewer... but that doesn't change that you are one.

Here's the second definition of review from Merriam Webster.

"a report that gives someone's opinion about the quality of a book, performance, product, etc."
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/review

As you do give your opinion... you're a reviewer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well obviously my videos are reviews, because I give my opinion. I would much much much rather they not be reviews, I'd much rather not give my opinion, because I'd rather my videos just be about the game speaking for itself. But it is what it is... cest la vie
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that you (Richard) recognize what many folks don't (or at least seem to forget): That even the games one person hates are probably loved by someone else. There are very few truly bad games. There are just games that are better or worse fits for a given player or group.

It is great that you can usually do a fun and enthusiastic runthrough, even when the final thoughts end up being "negative". And you always find something to praise.

I think you do a great job explaining WHAT you don't like, and/or WHY it wasn't a good fit for you and Jen. With that, people are equipped to decide for themselves. I assume there are folks who hear you say "it was a little too aggressive for us", and think "Perfect! Just what I want!" I know to ignore your general dislike of pickup-and-deliver games, because I happen to love many of them. I also know to temper your praise of area majority games, because that's a type of game I almost never enjoy.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely do reviews, but you always qualify them, explaining WHY you don't like them (instead of just chucking them off the roof for example).

The play through gives us a great idea of how a game plays, and then your final review explains how it feels to play it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Well obviously my videos are reviews, because I give my opinion. I would much much much rather they not be reviews, I'd much rather not give my opinion, because I'd rather my videos just be about the game speaking for itself. But it is what it is... cest la vie

Hey Richard, I'll just throw out there that not only do I watch your videos for games I've never played, but I also watch at least your final thoughts for the games that I have played and that I have already formed my own opinions on. What you think matters to me, even when I've formed my own opinion, if for nothing else to add to my mental database of where our tastes in games meet and diverge.

In my mind, any one final thoughts video shouldn't be overvalued, as you've said, but the aggregate is valuable for the reason stated. I can't be alone in that, and that is why your fans will never stop asking for your opinions. Because they have value beyond their individual existence.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sleepow wrote:
In any case, thanks for your videos (please run through Claustrophobia),
Cheers,

Cedric

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/36416/claustrophobia/rahdo-ru...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |