Popular Tags: [View All]
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So stop ducking it and accept the fact that you do provide reviews.

I see what you did there, even if you don't!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He acknowledges he is a reviewer, and I think he enjoys sharing his opinion, but he doesn't enjoy being placed in a position that may detrimentally affect the welfare and livelihood of a designer...which is why I think he mentioned he wishes he would never have offered his opinion at the outset (with Helvetia).

But now we expect and look forward to his opinion, and he now feels obligated to do so by way of tradition. So he feels obligated to do something that can have a negative impact on someone's life. And I can understand how awful that would feel. So to me, it makes sense to give a designer an "opt-out". Even so, I imagine it doesn't make him feel any better about sharing negative thoughts.

Adding a disclosure then relieves some of the potentially perceived malfeasance of a positive, glowing review, and now he's placated his conscience on both sides of the review fence. And the reality is that Richard's just a good dude with a good heart and good values trying to do the right thing...even his negative thoughts are bracketed by high praise.

So Richard, just keep doing your vids, enjoy what you do for as long as you want, and we'll enjoy them and your opinions right along with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

I guess I look at it this way: if a publisher spends considerable expense to get me a game, and I don't like it, and I put up a video saying I don't like it, then I know I have impacted that publisher's ability to stay in business or ever make another game. That is the reality of it. I have no desire to contribute to a company folding/people losing their jobs/having their dreams shattered. That is just awful to me, and having been on the other side of the fence as a games developer myself, I can't bring myself to blithely savage games when I realize what is at stake.

I can completely understand this and respect it. More so when it comes to the board gaming industry than the video gaming industry, since the latter seems so much more commercialized. That being said, if a single game's flop can cause such dire consequences as you describe, the problem seems more systemic and goes beyond this or that reviewer.

I think it's fair to be negative about a game (and not give the publisher the option to opt out) -- if you spend a lot of time with it so you're giving it a fair chance (which you clearly did with Myth), and if you're clear and open, to yourself and to others, about the reasons behind the negativity. It could be a subjective opinion such as not being your type of game, or it could have a more objective reason, such as what you described with Myth, which IMO has to do with common assumptions in the industry being violated (self-containment, rulesetrulebook, etc.). In case of the former, I think you've done many reviews like that, that don't actually scream "negative," but it becomes more or less clear it's not going to be a game you'll play a lot of (Antiquity and Mage Knight come to mind).

Myth seems a very special case, because of the ways in which it didn't meet expectations, but even if they had opted out I think it would've been fair to post the review. They made close to a million bucks for goodness' sake... What is more damaging to the community as a whole IMO is to withhold a negative and honest appraisal of the state of the game, or to tiptoe around the issues, as arguably another popular reviewer did.

Edit / P. S. This is not a criticism, I am just sharing a different way of looking at things. I think you handle this satisfactorily by acknowledging it here. Moreover, I enjoy your playthroughs and happily backed your most recent Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
This viewpoint has been shared, but I wanted to throw my weight behind it:

I'd MUCH rather have Richard give publishers a "pass" on games he would review negatively, rather than have him "like" every game.

I used to have a favorite reviewer that I now ignore, because all his reviews are essentially positive. He feels dishonest to me now, and unreliable. I don't like sellouts.

I go to Rahdo for his well thought out views and opinions, and for his integrity. This opt out system isn't my ideal, but it is a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"You know, we general don't like 3 player/war/abstract/party/memory/etc. games, so I might not be the right guy to cover this for you."

Does a game have to have a 2 player option for you to play it? If the game only plays 3-5 would you review it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sethvanorden wrote:
Quote:
"You know, we general don't like 3 player/war/abstract/party/memory/etc. games, so I might not be the right guy to cover this for you."

Does a game have to have a 2 player option for you to play it? If the game only plays 3-5 would you review it?

From watching his stuff:

- Richard doesn't review games
- I can't recall any non 2-player games he's runthrough, unless they have a 2P variant (Among the Stars, that game about tea in China etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
sethvanorden wrote:
Quote:

VERY unlikely I'd ever cover a game that doesn't support 2 players, as that's really the only way I play games - with my wife. I've runthrough 250 games now, and every single one of the supports 2p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
Sterling, Town of
CT
flag msg tools
mbmb
So they don't compensate you monetarily for your great run-throughs.. what a steal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I've runthrough 250 games now, and every single one of the supports 2p
So Strasbourg will be a landmark, I suppose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottNotSteve wrote:
rahdo wrote:
I demoed it using the widely used 2p variant. If it wasn't for that, I would have passed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
ScottNotSteve wrote:
rahdo wrote:
I demoed it using the widely used 2p variant. If it wasn't for that, I would have passed

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that you've run through other games that are only 2 player because of an official variant? Not that it matters much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
rahdo wrote:
ScottNotSteve wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that you've run through other games that are only 2 player because of an official variant? Not that it matters much.
Actually, I've done that lots of times: Francis Drake, [redacted], Yunnan, 7 Wonders, Walled City, and Puerto Rico come to mind, probably some others as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Dudley
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
...probably some others as well
Brass was the first that came to mind for me.

Edit: Woops, I guess the Brass variant is actually the official 'unofficial' variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steinberg
United States
North Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
rahdo wrote:
ScottNotSteve wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Actually, I've done that lots of times: Francis Drake, [redacted], Yunnan, 7 Wonders, Walled City, and Puerto Rico come to mind, probably some others as well

Tikal also had a run through using the Mini Tikal 2p variant as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rustic wrote:
rahdo wrote:
...probably some others as well
Brass was the first that came to mind for me.

Edit: Woops, I guess the Brass variant is actually the official 'unofficial' variant.

That's what I meant. I meant a variant that has become official, that wasn't included in the original rules. I think I was thinking of Brass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddy Roggenbauer
United States
Brillion
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Richard, what was the game that Dobby was kicking yours and Jen's butt in?? If I recall correctly that was a classic episode with "Dobby's" voice in full dog mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roggie wrote:
Hey Richard, what was the game that Dobby was kicking yours and Jen's butt in?? If I recall correctly that was a classic episode with "Dobby's" voice in full dog mode.
Hmm, maybe Dead Drop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddy Roggenbauer
United States
Brillion
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
roggie wrote:
Hmm, maybe Dead Drop?

Yup, I must have been mistaking Tula's voice with Dobby . Dead Drop was the one I was thinking of. Tula is awesome in Yunnan too .

You are nothing if not a great entertainer .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airheart wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Well obviously my videos are reviews, because I give my opinion. I would much much much rather they not be reviews, I'd much rather not give my opinion, because I'd rather my videos just be about the game speaking for itself. But it is what it is... cest la vie

How about not giving final thoughts on games you don't like? Let the run-through speak for itself. The missing final thoughts will also be informative without being overtly negative.
Then I'd get inundated with people requesting final thoughts for those games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Christmas Island
Montreal
msg tools
mb
rahdo wrote:
airheart wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Well obviously my videos are reviews, because I give my opinion. I would much much much rather they not be reviews, I'd much rather not give my opinion, because I'd rather my videos just be about the game speaking for itself. But it is what it is... cest la vie

How about not giving final thoughts on games you don't like? Let the run-through speak for itself. The missing final thoughts will also be informative without being overtly negative.

Can't please everyone all the time

Anyway, just wanted to also say I enjoy and appreciate your run-throughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poulsen
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
airheart wrote:
rahdo wrote:

I always want to hear final thoughts with every run through. Whether Rahdo's comments are positive or negative I just want to get some additional insight into the game. I might not agree with his review or comments but I love them just the same. His thoughts help explain some areas of the game that I might not have picked up on during the run through. I can't imagine not having the final thoughts!

By the way Rahdo, your run throughs are incredible! I literally owe my involvement in the gaming community to you and can't thank you enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Godfrey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be honest, I always watch your final thoughts first. Usually to get a quick idea as to what style of game it is and what gameplay mechanics it uses, and to see how enthused you are by it. I'm in a similar boat to you in that I play games with my wife, so 2 player is important. I think your runthroughs are excellent, as are the final thoughts! We seem to have similar game tastes too, so I like to hear your thoughts. The only real issue I have is the sheer number of games I've bought after watching your runthroughs, but that isn't really a problem now is it?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
badge
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found your videos fantastic. They give a great insight into the game and allows players to see components (some of the time) but also how the game feels when being played. There are many games that say they are great and have amazing looking parts but they don't always stand up to it.

I don't always agree with your verdicts but that is not why I watch the videos. I like being able to see the game in action. I have purchased games I have never heard of because of your videos. Just last week I bought Vikings from a video that was posted about 3 years ago (wasn't easy to get a hold of). Before looking at a new purchase I generally look to see if you have done a review. if not I flag on BGG as a "want to play".

Keep up the great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rahdo,
I just wanted to write that I enjoy your runthroughs and final thoughts very much as they are. (I'm also impressed you've done 777 of them!) They're both a great way to catch up with missed years of board games entertainment on my end, and a great way to choose which games are to be on my wishlist. (Though I have to admit I have to restrain myself seriously, or I'd spend my whole money into 50% of the games you present!)
I happen to have rather similar tastes to yours, with a slightly lesser fanatism for worker placement (but still enjoying that) and a bit more openness to Ameritrash.

As for this nice thread here, I just wanted to reiterate that you don't owe us anything - this is your production, your filming, your dear time and joy invested and shared, and I'm happy with whatever you send our way. (And if I'm not, I just have to zap on and I don't see myself entitled to any kind of criticism. )
I'll have to find a good time and place to meet with the both of you some day (if you so agree). I guess it must be hard for you to go to Essen and not be stopped every other step by people who recognize you. Do you wear a disguise? (Or shave? )

Have you ever had the itch of creating your own game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herman92 wrote:
Do you wear a disguise? (Or shave? )
I have seriously considered it...

Quote:
Have you ever had the itch of creating your own game?
Check http://faq.rahdo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |