Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to walk me through a few turns with this game VIA phone or skype I just acquired it and I think i have an ok grasp on it but before i teach it to my group I would like to learn up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try the Vassal module?

Rather unfortunately misnamed module:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Marval_Heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try that. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try and see if I can manage to hang about online later this evening, have a pretty decent hang of the module (and even better grasp the rules cool ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even open the module (using a mac) so now its a pain in the ass to figure it out. I guess i just prefer the human interaction and the speed of learning from another being able to ask questions etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krzykoopa wrote:
(using a mac)

Whose fault is that ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it opened and im in the lobby i guess but still havent figured out how to start a dam game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to make a new room and then start a new game.

I'm hanging around now if you're still online somewhere, don't see anyone in the Vassal lounge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi you can message me for any question regarding Marvel heroes, ive been playing it for 2 years, have about 100 plus games already played,

Glad to help you where I can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Frey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Powers T,

I have had this game for several years. My friend and I tried to play it once but we started way to late. I think we made it through one round, but had to stop. I have recently gotten back into board gaming, and thought I would get it out to try to learn how to play it.

Having also just discovered Board Game Geek, I logged on here to see if there was any information on it. Do you play through Vassal? I just downloaded that. I find games are way easier to pick up when someone who knows how to play, plays with you and walks you through it.

Are you still playing the game? Would you be willing to play with me and walk me through the game?

Thanks!

Marvelguy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvelguy wrote:
Hey Powers T,

I have had this game for several years. My friend and I tried to play it once but we started way to late. I think we made it through one round, but had to stop. I have recently gotten back into board gaming, and thought I would get it out to try to learn how to play it.

Having also just discovered Board Game Geek, I logged on here to see if there was any information on it. Do you play through Vassal? I just downloaded that. I find games are way easier to pick up when someone who knows how to play, plays with you and walks you through it.

Are you still playing the game? Would you be willing to play with me and walk me through the game?

Thanks!

Marvelguy

Hey Marvelguy,

I know you didn't direct your question at me and I am sure this isn't the response you want to hear but I was in your shoes a few months ago. My advice is there are much better games on the market that do what marvel heroes tries to do. The game is very convoluted and while it may seem interesting once you do combat for the 4th-5th time you start to get a lackluster (non superhero) feeling. I went through Vassal and set up a Skype session and finally learned it really well and when me and my group started to play it it was unanimous that it wasn't wroth the overall trouble and can get better experiences elsewhere.

-Coop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Frey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Coop,

Thanks for your advice. I have had this game since 2006-2007. I got it without really knowing what it was. My friend was in town and we tried to play it once, but it was too late, and we did not make it far before it was around 2 a.m. I have never played it since.

I have recently gotten into the more "nerdy" board gaming and had a really good time. I remembered this game and thought I could find things about it online. While I have found some things, there is not much out there which may prove your point that most have found the game to be lacking.

We did get the Vassal mod and tried to play it. I think it was either glitching or I do not understand the rules. We got to a point where every time we went into combat, the mod would not let the hero roll for their attack. The villain would roll for defense, but it is not hard to beat 0. This happened on two different games. All in all though, we got a pretty good idea of how to play. I do wish the Vassal mod was setup with more freedom and less automation. I would like to drag my pieces and do things myself, then there would not be a chance for a glitch. I have thought about trying to learn the Vassal build to modify his design and creat that, but I think that may be too much to handle for this game.

Here is my dilemma, I have several games on my wishlist and having looked up the Marvel Heroes game, I find that it is selling for quite a bit these days. I guess I am wondering if I should sell it and use the money to buy several other games on my wish list. Since I have not even played a full game with my copy, it is practically brand new.

I do love comics, and a superhero game is very appealing to me. I just don't know what to do. Thanks for the information though.

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam,

As for your dilemma you already know my answer haha.

I am not going to reinforce my standpoint because I believe in the end if you and your group enjoy playing a game then it doesn't matter. I know me and several people I have played this with feel it's not worth the length and effort and rather play other games.

As for the Vassal module I personally don't like it. One of the primary reasons I play board games is the social aspect and Vasal removes that.

Sam if you are looking for a superhero game there are a bunch out if you are looking for a marvel licensed super hero game there is still a bunch out there. I still have my Marvel heroes I have gotten rid of it because of the painted minis I think they are awesome and I am hoping one day I will get to use them with something else 8).

I hope you find what your looking for and keep playing games!

-Coop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just throw in my .02. I've had the game for a couple of years now. Played it for the first time tonight and really enjoyed it. My 16 year old son enjoyed it as well. I did spend this past week absorbing the rules and asking questions in these forums.

I'm glad I never got rid of mine, despite me being initially intimidated about trying to learn it. Once you grasp it, it can be really fun with a capable opponent.

Our game finished with quite a classic battle....Hulk vs. Abomination. Hulk won the battle, but was only one hit away from being knocked out.

Good stuff! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls