Popular Tags: [View All]
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a tournament at our FLGS today with 14 players in attendance, enough turnout that we should be getting more events in the future. It's worth noting that Opening Moves was legal and everyone was granted access to it for the event. Still threw some people off since they were expecting the pre-OM environment, but it wasn't apocalyptic (unless your idea of the apocalypse is Jackson Howard in every single corp deck).

I brought Vamp/Source Kit and classic Jinteki (decklists at the end of the report). My expectation was that most people wouldn't be prepared to play correctly against Jinteki. I was right. My runner, on the other hand, was less gimmicky (though many people underestimate The Source currently).

----

Round 1: vs. Ket

We laughed when this pairing was announced because probably half our total Netrunner games have been against each other. We playtest together and share deck info constantly, plus he reads this thread, so we both knew each others' decklists pretty much card-by-card going into the match.

Game 1: vs. HB Fortress

This is an HB archetype we've been discussing lately - it's not that far off from old rush, but the new 2.0 bioroids are actually incredibly obnoxious against Shaper decks (even Atman). Pretty good call, since the majority of the runner field was Shaper). The game went poorly for me. Ket got too much huge ice out too quickly, Indexing failed, Ash was a huge problem, and he won on points. The difference maker in this match was his timing on a Priority Requistion; I couldn't stop him due to Ash and Heimdall 2.0, so he got a free Ichi 2.0 on the same server. That was enough to outrun my economy and win. If you don't have de-rez then big ice is still strong, and The Source does very little against a deck designed to score from board anyway.

Game 2: vs. Whizzard Big Dig

We've done a podcast on Whizzard Big Dig before, but Opening Moves brings something really important to the table: Hostage. Ket splashed for both Hostage and Professional Contacts, allowing him to avoid relying on drawing a console plus Magnum Opus. Instead he can power up with event economy while drawing into his combo cards. Unfortunately I didn't see much of the deck because he ran a risk and killed himself with a double-Fetal AI Medium run on R&D. Oops. Honestly, "Oops" is Jinteki's theme these days.

1-1 in games, 2 tournament points.

----

Round 2: vs. Eli

Game 1: vs. Weyland Advanceable Ice (the new identity)

Mostly I just remember this as one of many long and grueling Weyland games of the day. I have Plascrete, I have The Source, I have Vamp, and I have enough economy to see me through his deck. By the end of the game I'd gotten down to one card in my deck, Levyed for another round, and still only wound up winning when I Indexed the last 5 cards in his entire R&D. Really long match.

Game 2: vs. Kate - possibly a version of Professional Kate from the stimhack blog.

This game also went incredibly long; in fact, it went to time. He tutored out his Jinteki meta in the form of Deus Ex, but never had a great set of breakers. Even so, he was running enough of my remotes that I couldn't just score out. The final turn of the game involved him facechecking into 2 brain damage while I was on 5 points to his 2 points, but it didn't matter because it was the final turn. I still had the game on agenda points, but you get fewer match points for that compared to winning outright.

3-1 in games, 5 tournament points.

----

Round 3: vs. Nick

Game 1: vs. Weyland Big Ice (with Howard engine)

Nick's Weyland list was very very close to a Weyland deck that I almost brought. It's normal big ice Weyland, except that it also runs pretty much every Transaction alongside Jackson Howard. That means absolutely insane amounts of credits when you're drawing two cards per click (and then eventually reshuffling excess agendas). I couldn't keep up with that in credit count so Vamp wasn't an option. Still, it's Weyland, and I would have won had I not made two enormous order-of-operations mistakes regarding Aesops (and another huge mistake on card order with Indexing). I cost myself 9 credits for no good reason and twice came 1 credit short from winning (and still could have won with a different Indexing setup). Nick played better than I did this game, so he won on agendas while I was stuck with only 5 agenda points.

Game 2: vs. CT Datasucker/Atman

My memory is a touch hazy on specifics this round. He eventually got to a point where he could ignore my ice, but he got overconfident and ran into a lethal combination of upgrades plus agenda.

4-2 in games, 7 tournament points.

----

Round 4: vs. ??? (apologies; my match sheet is blank and my memory is scrubbed with fatigue)

Game 1: vs. Shaper

My memory is toast at this point; one Shaper ID plays pretty much like any other against Jinteki though. We had a fairly close game, but he eventually pulled the wrong set of things from R&D at the wrong time and died.

Game 2: vs. Weyland

We've been through this matchup already today. I win it after yet another long and grueling game. Seriously, the length of this matchup is brutal; it has favored the runner ever since the release of Plascrete Carapace, but rushing through it is the number one way that Weyland can find openings to score. Deny openings and you will eventually win as the runner. I don't remember specifics though; all of the weyland games have blended together into one painful morass.

6-2 in games, 11 tournament points.

----

Semi-Finals: vs. Riley

This was pretty much my worst-case scenario. I'd placed either 2nd or 3rd out of swiss (my memory is failing me, but I thought that someone got in with 8 tournament points on tiebreakers and someone else got in with 9 tournament points) and we cut to top 4. Riley placed first out of swiss with 14 tournament points, is one of our regular players who playtests constantly, and he used to play a ton of Jinteki. He was our group's original serious Jinteki player in fact, so I knew that he understood how to beat my corp. Alas, the pairings were assigned and I had to play him.

Game 1: vs. Weyland

I won, again, but my brain bleeds even remembering yet another marathon Weyland match. Ultimately he couldn't handle Vamp resets and I got one good agenda pull from HQ. The second or third Vamp finally kicked me over 7 agenda points. However, one critical play happened during the game: Riley correctly identified a weak moment in my economic engine and threw down an install-advance-advance when I could not reach it. I responded with The Source, but unfortunately for me he had thrown down a PSF instead of a Government Contracts. In my mind, that was the deciding play of the match.

Game 2: vs. Gabe

Classic Gabe deck with Quality Time and a turn 1 Desperado. Not ideal for me. I made a sketchy decision in keeping an ice-light hand, and then never drew any further ice until the very end of the game (every game prior to this one I'd actually wound up discarding ~3 ice per game). That meant he could constantly draw up, punch R&D, and just facetank the damage. It wasn't completely hopeless: I could have won if my opening had included a Ronin, or if cards in R&D had come up slightly differently, or if my opening had included enough agenda points to hit 5 (he was the higher seed, so I had to exceed his points - this was why his scoring the PSF last game was so crucial). Still, it was a long for me shot because he knew how to play against Jinteki. I had agendas on the board freely available to score, but I could not draw into quite enough agenda points to surpass his total from last game. He eventually passed 7 points via R&D and took the match, progressing to the finals.

My End Result: 7-3 in games, eliminated in semi-finals.

----

No 3rd place tiebreaker match was played, since the other eliminated player and I were both super hungry and just wanted to escape in search of food after receiving out prize support. I came out with a small profit in store credit compared to my entry fee, along with a couple of Scorched Earth promos. Missed out on Kate though, which makes me sad. I doubt that I'll be playing Kate any time soon with Chaos Theory and Kit around, but it's a gorgeous card.

Jinteki is exactly what I expected: great at tripping unprepared players, but still fundamentally bad. Not once all night did I feel in a great position, yet I never lost a single corp game until the elimination rounds. There were always enough things that could go wrong for the runner that even one questionable choice could cause a flatline. I wouldn't run the deck in any metagame that was accustomed to Jinteki though. If you play smart then math still beats Jinteki.

My Kit deck was strong, but not perfect. There's painful competition for space between economy cards and utility cards. I was always really happy to see Armitage, which tells me that an Opus economy would be more solid. Unfortunately Aesops is pretty important to making The Source run smoothly, and Aesops does little or nothing for an Opus economy. MU is also a potential issue, though I was surprised how often I could bust into 3+ deep servers just with Gordian, Tinkerings, and Test Run Femme. Kit's ability is pure boss at area denial though. I could sit on money with Vamp and even though I only had Gordian in play corp players could not expect to score from board - even with ice 3-deep on every important server! All you need to do is snipe agendas from their remote servers and throw in the occasional cheap Indexing when the situation permits. Traps would complicate matters greatly, but tonight I was completely correct in anticipating that people would not run traps aside from the annoying-but-survivable Thomas Haas (I actually removed Infiltration from my deck the night before because of that belief - that was not a fundamentally sound decision, but it worked today and Infiltration is yet another utility card competing for too little space).

The tournament was well-run and all seemed to go smoothly. I don't know who won finals since I left before they started, but I'm hoping to read about the result at some point (and also the meta composition - it looked extremely Weyland and Shaper heavy). Props to Andrew Veen for TOing a great event, and thanks to all my fellow players for a fun afternoon of running nets!

----

Corp Decklist:

Identity:
Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (13)
Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control #23) x3
False Lead (A Study in Static #80) x3
Private Security Force (Core #107) x1
Braintrust (What Lies Ahead #14) x3
Fetal AI (Trace Amount #32) x3

Asset (11)
Cerebral Overwriter (Creation and Control #9) x2 ■■
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x2 ■■
Ronin (Future Proof #112) x1 // The decklist I turned in at the event was actually incorrect and listed 50 cards with 2 Ronin. My physical deck was legal, since I pre-count my sleeves, but yanking the second Ronin was a last-minute decision and I forgot to update appropriately.
Snare! (Core #70) x3
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves #15) x2 ■

ICE (13)
Chum (Core #75) x3
Data Mine (Core #76) x3
Neural Katana (Core #77) x3
Bastion (Creation and Control #26) x1
Enigma (Core #111) x1
Wall of Static (Core #113) x2

Operation (9)
Beanstalk Royalties (Core #98) x3 ■
Trick of Light (Trace Amount #33) x3
Neural EMP (Core #72) x3

Upgrade (4)
Hokusai Grid (Humanity's Shadow #95) x3
Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead #13) x1 ■■

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 10
Jinteki: 50
NBN: 2
The Weyland Consortium: 3
Neutral: 0

----

Runner Decklist:

Identity:
Rielle "Kit" Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (22)
Vamp (Trace Amount #21) x2 ■■
Diesel (Core #34) x3
Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow #87) x3
Test Run (Cyber Exodus #47) x3
Tinkering (Core #37) x3
Scavenge (Creation and Control #34) x1
Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control #35) x1
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Indexing (Future Proof #106) x3

Hardware (2)
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x2

Program (6)
Gordian Blade (Core #43) x3
Snowball (Trace Amount #27) x1
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x2 ■

Resource (15)
Same Old Thing (Creation and Control #54) x3
The Source (Creation and Control #55) x2 ■■
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow #91) x2
Daily Casts (Creation and Control #53) x3
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3
Aesop's Pawnshop (Core #47) x2

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 4
Criminal: 2
Shaper: 59
Neutral: 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corbeau wrote:
This was pretty much my worst-case scenario. I'd placed either 2nd or 3rd out of swiss (my memory is failing me, but I thought that someone got in with 8 tournament points on tiebreakers and someone else got in with 9 tournament points) and we cut to top 4.

Riley and I tied for first in Swiss at 14 match points (3 shutouts and we lost a game against each other).

I'm pretty glad I didn't go up against you; my deck has no Jinteki hate and I have extremely little practice against Jinteki opponents. Hopefully my own experiences playing the corp would keep me wary, but I somehow doubt it. Thanks for the decks and the far more detailed report than I could muster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
Corbeau wrote:
This was pretty much my worst-case scenario. I'd placed either 2nd or 3rd out of swiss (my memory is failing me, but I thought that someone got in with 8 tournament points on tiebreakers and someone else got in with 9 tournament points) and we cut to top 4.

Riley and I tied for first in Swiss at 14 match points (3 shutouts and we lost a game against each other).

Makes more sense since I remembered being 3rd out of swiss. Not sure why I thought someone had scored 9, but it was a persistent memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the agenda loadout in your Jinteki deck--mine has the exact same composition. The rest of our decks are very different, but you've got the same idea as me--forcing the Runner to score four to seven agendas means they're taking more damage, especially if you're also sneaking some three-cost agendas through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.