Subject: Second place at Card Kingdom's first tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card Kingdom (here in Seattle, Washington) just hosted its first Netrunner tournament, distributing its second season Game Night materials. I heard about it only earlier this week, but I knew I'd want to get in - certainly for them lovely Scorches!

The deck distribution among the 14 players was pretty crazy. Most players brought Shaper decks, but Criminal was still well-represented and I'm pretty sure there was a Noise player (who must have been fighting uphill against the legalized proxied Jackson Howards). For the corp side, it was an absolute rainbow (although mostly of Core identities). I know I saw an NBN: The World Is Yours* deck, and a Jinteki: Replicating Perfection deck in the mix, too. I personally opted for my NBN Fast Advance deck and my Andromeda Suckers deck. They're a bit vanilla, perhaps, but still highly effective. With around a week of light practice, I started up the matches.

Sadly, I mostly have the memory of a gadfly, so I can only recount some especially neat moments. My first time corping as NBN, I won off a surprise Snare! from R&D - a card which recently replaced the comparatively lackluster Edge of World. In the next match, my Exile opponent accessed a Snare! on turn one from HQ, losing him a Self-Modifying Code and Daily Casts and putting him on the backpedal the rest of the game. Another great corp mini-story was a run at an unknown remote server two ICE deep, with two cards installed at the base. First I rezzed Pop-Up Window, and next came a Tollbooth. With some Self-Modifying Code shenanigans, he broke the Tollbooth, ending up with zero credits but leaving me pretty poor with around three myself. But what did he find at the end? Melange Mining Corp and SanSan City Grid.

Running was mostly pretty boring. I have terrifyingly good luck with my random accesses, so I had a game where I pulled 5 points off R&D without much warning and a couple where I sniped the one agenda my opponent had in HQ (in fact, it was a Beale, I was heavily tagged, and they had a Psychographics, so wtf). I must say, it's really embarrassing to do that. My opponents have my full sympathies - and I know that when I'm holding the cards, the runner will get that 1/4 shot over 2/3 of the time.

I had faced the eventual champion during the Swiss rounds, and for both of us that match had the only games we lost (until my defeat at the finale). I should have won the corp game really quickly - apparently post-mulligan he'd drawn all three Government Contracts, and had protected HQ with an Archer. But for some reason I'd let HQ be, and he eventually Jackson Howarded back to relative safety. I still eventually won after a back-and-forth battle of Oversight AIs, Faeries, and Emergency Shutdowns around Archers and Hadrian's Walls.

After defeating my top-four opponent, I came back against his Weyland/Gabe setup, a bit wiser to his tricks like Successful Demonstration and Sneakdoor Beta (a card I hadn't seen much in a while). Running, I eventually made a terrible mistake. He'd scored a Private Security Force, and eventually I got desperate enough to siphon him twice (as he had a 2-counter Atlas ready to win with). When he struck back with the PSF, I absorbed with my Plascrete instead of just eating the damage, which the next round killed me when he double scorched me. As the TO advised after the game, I should have treated the Plascrete like a Deus X, only using it when I feared the flatline. Definitely going into my bag of tactics.

My final Corp game went all wrong when, after he scored a Beale from my hand, I Midseason Replacements to give him 8 tags. Suddenly, all my Data Ravens were practically blank, and I had to completely remake my central servers as he R&D/HQ locked me until he won. Oops. Losing an early remote Tollbooth to Forged Activation Orders didn't help, either.

Still, prize-wise, I made out like a bandit, scoring myself 2x shiny Scorched Earths and a copy of the lovely painter Kate "Mac" McCaffrey, as well as a quarter of the tournament proceeds in store credit. Sweet!

Here were my decks (Meteor Deck format), and I'd be happy to discuss them:

Andromeda Sucker (45 cards)

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie

Event (20)
3 Account Siphon
1 Diesel
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Emergency Shutdown
2 Infiltration
2 Inside Job
3 Special Order
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (8)
1 Clone Chip
2 Desperado
3 Plascrete Carapace
2 R&D Interface

Resource (5)
2 Bank Job
3 Daily Casts

Icebreaker (9)
1 Corroder
3 Crypsis
2 Faerie
2 Femme Fatale
1 Yog.0

Program (3)
3 Datasucker

NBNFA (49 cards)

NBN: Making News

Agenda (10)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Gila Hands Arcology
2 Priority Requisition
3 Project Beale

Asset (8)
1 Adonis Campaign
3 Jackson Howard
2 Melange Mining Corp
2 Snare!

Upgrade (3)
1 Bernice Mai
2 SanSan City Grid

Operation (10)
2 Closed Accounts
3 Hedge Fund
2 Midseason Replacements
3 Psychographics

Barrier (2)
2 Ice Wall

Code Gate (9)
1 Chum
3 Enigma
3 Pop-up Window
2 Tollbooth

Sentry (7)
3 Caduceus
3 Data Raven
1 Flare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gratz!
Why Easy Mark is missing and Dirty Laundry is in?
Easy mark nets you 3 credits without any prerequisite while in order to get any benefit from Dirty Laundry you need 2 credits to spend beforehand and a succesful run.
If you have to rely on 3 credits isn't it better to have them at no cost ( spend only an action ) and 100% for sure , without any risk of failure.
Care to elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because with Desperado and Datasuckers, making a run--even if it is pointlessly into archives--provides reward beyond the Dirty Laundry prize. 1 Action to Dirty Laundry archives with Desperado and 2x Datasuckers = 4 credits and 2 credit-equivalents vs. 3 for Easy Mark.

Easy Mark is better if there are no guaranteed run targets, i.e. it is a recovery card; Dirty Laundry sustains aggression better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laikal wrote:
Because with Desperado and Datasuckers, making a run--even if it is pointlessly into archives--provides reward beyond the Dirty Laundry prize. 1 Action to Dirty Laundry archives with Desperado and 2x Datasuckers = 4 credits and 2 credit-equivalents vs. 3 for Easy Mark.

Easy Mark is better if there are no guaranteed run targets, i.e. it is a recovery card; Dirty Laundry sustains aggression better.

I was forgetting the bonus 1 credit of Desperado!
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Cain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing with my Andy deck. I figured especially with really needing to run first turn and having 9 cards, dirty laundry beat out easy mark for me because it let me build money and put pressure on. Also, CORP doesn't always expect runner to run first turn if they are Andy and don't want to discard cards. My Andy deck did not lose in our recent tournament because some games started so fast with dirty laundry.

One game was perfect in fact. Starting hand let me play Sure Gamble > Desperado > R&DI > Dirty Laundry into the unprotected R&D. I had 6 money, an agenda, and a sweet pressure start. That's why I run it at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

I'm a bit annoyed that Card Kingdom doesn't include info about events like this in their mailing list - all I get is dumb magic promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that I did indeed sometimes wish I'd had Easy Mark there. My stronger opponents quickly hardened their Archives and had only glacial remotes, so soon Dirty Laundry became a dead card or a Sure Gamble-ish with a higher credit requirement. Fortunately, I rarely went broke, so Easy Mark's primary usage wouldn't have been too significant.

Primary lessons:

1. Use Plascrete only to prevent flatlines (barring the risk of losing a necessary card).

2. Stop and think. Against the champion, I kept trying to play the same game as against everyone else - run everywhere, make them poor, destabilize. But as an operation Weyland player, he was always rich, could rez pain-in-the-ass ICE, and quickly shut down successful run places. However, his remote was mostly full of Oversight AI cards, and he had no score-from-hand cards except Hostile Takeover. I should have thought and realized that I could get into the remote, if I just chilled, got credits, and waited for cards to go in it.

3. Think hard before you employ Midseason Replacements. If it will leave you near broke, and if you're using already rezzed Data Ravens, and if you don't have a way to immediately leverage those tags, using it can end up being really detrimental to you, as suddenly tags are no longer threatening. The runner will just try to R&D lock you and disrupt your economy, and will probably win before you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Z
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Good Advice, I had the same issue with Plascrete against Riley and it was because he claimed he was dealing the damage to knock a few counters off of it. I didn't think he had 2 scorched earth. Ultimately I wasn't paying enough attention.

BTW I'm the guy who came in 4th (I'll let Eliot have 3rd, he did better than me in the swiss). Besides I barely made it into the top 4 and knew the guy I beat out from my weekly netrunner group.

The Snare! you had in your deck scared me that you had a scorched earth in there as well, though I became a bit leery of that as I noticed how many other things were splashed in. I assume now it was for an easy surprise closed accounts and just to mess up the runner a bit.
What reason did you add snare to a deck without scorched earth, and how did you always pull the econ you needed from 6 cards, I guess Howard is just that powerful.

I'd like to know if you, Riley or Eliot show up at Card Kingdom or Uncles in Bellevue for the netrunner freeplay. I know you and Riley (I never played Eliot but would like to) were much more challenging than my other opponents and would be interested in playing you guys sometime. I play on Wednesdays down at Luther's Table with a regular group of about 6 but occasionally hit up CK and Uncles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ryan - thanks for the games! Sorry about that one time you spent two turns hammering HQ fruitlessly.

Snare! is there for a few reasons. One, it flatlines the unwary, which I think happened to Jason in the first match. Two, it gives a tag, which means I can Closed Accounts and the player might decide that it's now OK to get a few more - or they'll spend the credits and clicks to clear it, which means I burned some cards and 6 basic clicks of effort for 4 credits. Three, it's my R&D protection (yeah, not the best). Jackson Howard lets me use them again and put them back into R&D where they're useful. Four, I guess people think I'm gonna scorch them! That's nice. I have no meat damage in the deck besides Flare, so please, install a Plascrete. Finally, five, I can stick them in the remote is SanSan is down and play the Never Advance game. In fact, it replaced Edge of World, which kept getting accessed from a central and didn't end up convincing in a remote (and also I had no follow through for the meat damage).

How did I get the economy? Admittedly, JH does help, but I had quite a bit in there, if you see. A couple Gila Hands (which paid off in one game), Adonis and 3 Melange, 3 Hedge Funds, 3 Pop-Ups (probably my most helpful card), and 3 Caduceus. That's a little under a third of my deck. Additionally, I click for credits a lot more than I see most opponents do, especially fast-advancers. I need to keep my threat up. Interestingly, my final game with Riley was the one where my economy basically crapped out, and my midseason made me unable to follow up on the tag threat (ugh, ugh, stupid mistake).

I rarely play Netrunner at Card Kingdom - I attend Thursday Board Game Night but that's primarily to try new and old hotness of all different games. Sundays I'm usually too lazy to bus all the way up. On Tuesdays, I sometimes do more random board games at the Ray Gun Lounge in Capitol Hill, but increasingly often I spend the night there playing Netrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryzan08 wrote:
I'd like to know if you, Riley or Eliot show up at Card Kingdom or Uncles in Bellevue for the netrunner freeplay. I know you and Riley (I never played Eliot but would like to) were much more challenging than my other opponents and would be interested in playing you guys sometime. I play on Wednesdays down at Luther's Table with a regular group of about 6 but occasionally hit up CK and Uncles.

I play Netrunner at CK pretty much every Sunday, starting from around 7pm and going until closing time (though I'll be at PAX this upcoming Sunday). Riley's typically around on Sunday nights too, though until the tournament we hadn't actually played against each other in at least a month. We usually have about a dozen people show up for casuals and playtesting each Sunday. Most of the other CK regulars get around to other venues in addition, but CK is super convenient for me and one game night per week scratches my Netrunner itch nicely.

And a bit off-topic, but if you're already into board games at CK then it's worth mentioning that I've been organizing a weekly Eclipse group. We're probably going to settle into regular Friday night games once PAX is over.

Azeltir wrote:
Snare! is there for a few reasons. One, it flatlines the unwary...

The week prior to the tournament I actually ran a Simone Diego + 1 card server, hit a Snare!, and immediately died to Scorched Earth.

While playing against an HB:EtF deck. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Fakename
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey man, we've been trying to move our play test nights to Ray Gun during the week, but I've been caught up in work recently. I'm going to try and change that after PAX, as the slog to worlds is going to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Z
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I could do Raygun, it'd be a lot easier of a commute for me than CK. This week doesn't look so good with PAX, but if you let me know what days you wanna netrunner on the Seattle Netrunner facebook group I should be able to do one night a week (provided its not Friday).

PS I'll be at the netrunner tabletop tourney @ PAX, though I don't know if I'll actually play in it (as a rule I don't do tournaments at PAX, too big of a time sink)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.