Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be in Baltimore on business next week and was wondering if there were any local game stores in the waterfront area (gotta have something to do while I'm not at home).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Broh-Kahn
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
None that I am aware of, and I nominally live there! shake

There is one of those chain bookstores in The PowerPlant where you'll find your traditional Barnes and Noble Fare, but that's about all I am aware of.

Anyone else?

Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The harbor area is pretty much like a giant outdoor mall. Not bad for some things - you won't lack for generic shopping or chain restaurants - but no games, as far as I know. In fact, since the death of Avalon Hill, Baltimore has been hurting pretty badly for a game store...again, as far as I can tell.

There are lots of cool things in Baltimore but few of them are near the harbor. My advice would be to bring a game with you and try to find players at some of the many coffee joints nearby, or take a sports game to the ESPN Zone.

If you're feeling adventurous, plan on taking a cab or bus to some of the cooler neighborhoods. You won't have gamestores, but at least you'll have better food. Like most cities, Baltimore is mostly safe, but I would take a friend with you if you do this...just to help if you get lost.

Federal Hill has a great seafood market with an excellent, fresh oyster bar and Bruce Lee's wings (best wings on the planet). It's close to the harbor (to the south), but not quite walking distance.

Hampden as Atomic Books (best alternative bookstore (but no games) on the East Coast) and Golden West Cafe (the only place to get hot green chili dishes around here...of course, you live in Arizona so that's not a big draw).

Oh yes, and you should definitely go to the American Visionary Arts Museum while there. It's on the south side of the harbor (the "harbor" area is the north side) across the street from a restaurant called The Rusty Scupper *shudder*. It's a very, very odd place full of weird amateur art and is very close to where you will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resin wrote:
The harbor area is pretty much like a giant outdoor mall. Not bad for some things - you won't lack for generic shopping or chain restaurants - but no games, as far as I know. In fact, since the death of Avalon Hill, Baltimore has been hurting pretty badly for a game store...again, as far as I can tell.
That's a pretty good assessment. Actually, though, the Baltimore area game stores were drying up before the demise of AH. There used to be a fairly decent one in the Inner Harbor, but it disappeared well before the mid 1990s. Strategy and Fantasy World moved long ago as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resin wrote:
Oh yes, and you should definitely go to the American Visionary Arts Museum while there.

Yuck! yuk Your entitled to your opinion, but I went there and I felt like I had to vomit and take a shower after leaving. The artwork was so disturbing and demonic in nature that I felt sick and dirty the rest of the day. That is one place I would never return to or recomend. Maybe it was just the exhibit on display at that time, but I'm not going back to find out. At least I didn't have to pay to go in, since I was looking at it as a potential location for my wedding reception.

I would much prefere to go to the Port Discovery - sure it may be designed for kids, but boy is it a fun place to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Quade
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
While in Baltimore area, play some games with the Games Club of Maryland crowd.

This location is near downtown Baltimore:
http://www.bsfs.org/bsfsdrct.htm

There are many locations around Baltimore (all with different schedules):
http://www.gamesclubofmd.org/locations.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I would much prefere to go to the Port Discovery - sure it may be designed for kids, but boy is it a fun place to go.

It doesn't get much more polar opposite than Port Discovery and the American Visionary Arts Museum. I frequently dislike much of the art, but it's a kind of art I can't see anywhere else. As for disturbing, it depends on what the current exhibit is.

It totally depends on what you want, Charles. If you really like the harbor area, you'll likely enjoy Port Discovery and the Aquarium. If you think the harbor area is weird and too "fake", then you'll like my suggestions. Some people travel and want the same things as home; some travel and want to get to know their destination. Obviously I'm in the latter category, but you should do what you will enjoy.

Since I lived in Tempe for three years, let me put it like this:
The harbor and everything in it is very much like Scottsdale. If you like Scottsdale, then you should explore that area as much as possible.

My favorite places in the Phoenix area were Mystery Castle, the arts district in Phoenix, Los Dos Molinos, Los Sombreros, the Heard Museum, and downtown Phoenix, just to give you an idea.

Also the Gamers Club of Maryland is a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love the Visionary Art Museum (affectionately known in our house as "the Museum of the Weird") and all but one room of the collection changes annually, so what you see might be totally different from the stuff that grossed Tish out. AVAM also has a very fun gift store and you may be able to get to the museum via Water Taxi.

Helmand (on Charles Street about 800 N. -- a quick cab ride from Inner Harbor) is a nice Afghan restaurant owned by Karzai's brother. Make sure to order the aushak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resin wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't get much more polar opposite than Port Discovery and the American Visionary Arts Museum.

That is true. I just have them linked in my mind because I looked at both locations for potential Wedding reception sites. Almost had it at Port Discovery, but they were going to be renovating the Atrium when I wanted to have my wedding so we nixed that and had the reception at the Chart House in Annapolis. I think that was a better choice for us in the end anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget to go to Little italy - some wonderful restaurants and pastry places over there.

The Aquarium is awesome (providing you like to look at fish). Is the Australia exhibit still there?

For interesting bars, Fells's Point is pretty cool...

These is also the B&O Museum not too far from the Inner Harbor, which just re-opened. I have heard it is really a good museum.

Lastly, if your travels take you after Baseball season starts - you have to go to Camden yards for a game; a great stadium that has awesome beers and Bratwurst.

Personally, while I love gaming, unless I was with some gaming partners, I woudl be taking in the sites of the city as best as I could. baltimore is an interesting town, being from Richmond, VA - it feels like Richmond with a harbor and minus some of the civil war stuff (although there is some civil war history stuff to see there too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Saltsman

Maryland
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The other posts are correct - there is zero for games stores in the waterfront area. The best, nearby-est store is Days of Knights up in Delaware (90 minute drive - www.daysofknights.com) which has an excellent selection. If you can travel that far, Gettysburg or Antietam are worth visits. If you can't, another fun area to explore is Charles Street from about Saratoga Street to Madison Street (this is a 10 minute walk away). There are interesting stores, galleries, and museums.

In the Inner Harbor is also the USS Torsk, a WW II submarine that has tours, the USS Constellation, a 19th Century sailing ship similar to the Constitution also with tours, and the Coast Guard ship Taney, last ship floating that was present at Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack. Docked in the outer harbor (but not for tours I think) is a restored Liberty Ship, one of only a few left.

Also nearby (taxi ride or water taxi ride) is Fort McHenry of Star Spangled Banner fame, which is about an hour to explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
q111111 wrote:
While in Baltimore area, play some games with the Games Club of Maryland crowd.

This location is near downtown Baltimore:
http://www.bsfs.org/bsfsdrct.htm

There are many locations around Baltimore (all with different schedules):
http://www.gamesclubofmd.org/locations.asp

I think I checked the schedule and nothing looked like it was going to be remotely close by during the times I will be in town.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm staying right in the inner harbor, so I'll explore a bit around there (and likely spend too much time at that Barnes and Noble).

Anyone recommend a good pastry shop in Little Italy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:

Definitly Vaccaro's. A requirement if you are going to Little Italy.

http://www.vaccarospastry.com/

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew lavish
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can vouche for Days of Knights in Newark De., as I live 5 miles from this mecca! There is a back room STUFFED to the ceiling with games to drool over, and another room full of vintage games re-wrapped and complete. At 70 mph, you could make the drive in an hour!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean McKenzie
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the initial query... definately no game stores in Baltimore. Idea spots for gaming in public, some. There aren't as many coffee shops in Baltimore as I'd like, but there's a nice one in Federal Hill/Cross St. Market called Spoons.... there's also a Caribou coffee on Charles St about 6/8 blocks from the inner Harbor. But I supposed if I were you in Baltimore by myself for a week, I'd probably end up hanging out at the Barnes and Nobel too. I work downtown, if you'd like some recommendations or need more info, feel free to email me.

If you do have the time to go travelling, to DE or DC.... my wife and I were in Chantilly,Va (Dulles Airport) this past weekend where we found the Ultimate Game store.... Game Parlor http://www.gameparlor.com - I'm fairly certain that unless you're going during the day and returning before 2 it's definately too far... well too long with DC Rush hour traffic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
Tatsu wrote:

Definitly Vaccaro's. A requirement if you are going to Little Italy.

http://www.vaccarospastry.com/

Jason

Damn you Thank you for telling me about Vaccaro's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls