Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Landis
United States
FPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. I am extremely new to this great community, and was wondering if someone could take the time to refer me to any gameshops in the Norfolk, VA area. I am currently serving in Diego Garcia BIOT and will be transfering later this year. Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Brooks
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kent,

Let me be the first BGGer to congratulate you on moving to the great state of Virginia! I live in Richmond, but the last time I was in Norfolk (probably about a year ago), there was a Go game store at the MacArthur Center Mall (a really nice, new mall by the way). Go is a very mainstream game store and their selection is not exactly the best, but it's a start. Maybe someone who lives in the area will have some more suggestions.

-ABB-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Norwalk
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I welcome you to check out tidewaterstrategygroup.org which is our newly formed game club, we usually plan one formal get together a month, and also some informals here and there.

As far as stores, it depends on what you play for boardgames there are only a couple (we just had a very good store close down that was ran by one of our members)
some to consider are
Campaign Headquarters- RPG's CCG's mini's and a few boardgames
Bit of England- boardgames, RPG's and Warmachine
Hobbytown USA- some boardgames and GW mini's
there are some more that the other members may post as well.
Let us know when you are in the area. I assume you are in the Navy like me, where are you going to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Landis
United States
FPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Quick response time. Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's also nice to meet USN folk out there that have the same intrests as me. Will drop a line when I get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Landis
United States
FPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be heading to the George Washington in about 2 months as a PC. Is Tidewater all Navy, or is it just a gaming group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchfield
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another in the area as well Family Fun Factory I believe it is called. Nice selection and some very nice staff and customers. There are always people there playing a game or two it seems.

There are also a couple game companies local to the area. Avalanche Press and the company I work for Worthington Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Twigg
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Welcome to the area!

Campaign Headquarters, on Little Creek Rd. in Norfolk, is where I do most of my shopping (when I don't buy online, that is). Their selection of board games is rather small, actually, but they usually have the newer releases from Fantasy Flight, Mayfair, Eagle and the other larger companies in stock. Plus the people who run the place are friendly and will talk with just about anyone. I'd definitely recommend checking them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingcujoI wrote:
There is another in the area as well Family Fun Factory I believe it is called. Nice selection and some very nice staff and customers. There are always people there playing a game or two it seems.

Sadly this is the store fullerbd refered to closing in his response.

Kent:

TSG is not strictly Navy, but a general board gaming groups for the area. We have both Active duty and retiries, along with those (like me) who never was a serviceman.

Look forward to meeting you when you get to the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the others have mentioned, there are a few stores in the area that carry board games (aside from your typical department store finds). In addition, there is usually someone from TSG doing a mail order of games.

Also, being in the group you get the added bonus of trying games before you buy, as amongst the current members we have a pretty good coverage of the current populars (and a few non-current).

Lisa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Landis
United States
FPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to let you know I've registered on the TSG site, and am looking foward to getting to know the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sears
United States
Adrian
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was there (almost 10 years ago), I had pretty good luck with the thrift stores too. Seems like there were a few good ones in the Military (highway?) Tidewater Drive area. Found some good stuff back in the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nothing to say... Well, I guess a "Welcome to Va" is in order...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Jones
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I was stationed in Norfolk in 83 so this place may be closed by now. Campangin Headquaters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hartman
United States
Norfolk
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

Campaign Headquarters is no longer in business.

However, the store location is now an Atlantis Comics.
Atlantis Comics also has a store in Virginia Beach and one in Portsmouth.

More information can be found at their website:

http://www.atlantis-comics.com/store/index.html

Disclosure: I have a couple of friends who work at Atlantis either full or part-time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Virginia.

I am not from the Norfolk area (I am actually in a county west of Richmond.) But I can vouche for Atlantis Comics. They did a game demo for me at a con in Williamsburg. Great guys, very friendly, the next time I am in the area I will be checking out their store.

Edit: Just noticed the date from the OP, so I am geussing you are no longer new to the area. But I will stand by my thoughts on Atlantis Comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren White
United States
Hampton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atlantis Comics for sure. Just got back with my purchase (Love Letter, Roll For It, and some nice dice). Very friendly and very good selection. Prices reasonable as well. I will definitely be going back. I live in Hampton and it took me 10 minutes to get there.

Here is a new link.....

http://www.atlantis-comics.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhishBoy wrote:
Atlantis Comics for sure. Just got back with my purchase (Love Letter, Roll For It, and some nice dice). Very friendly and very good selection. Prices reasonable as well. I will definitely be going back. I live in Hampton and it took me 10 minutes to get there.

Here is a new link.....

http://www.atlantis-comics.com/

I am over in Newport News near JRB, how are AC's prices? The only locally owned store I know to the peninsula is full retail no matter how old and is 99 percent comics, D&D, token amount of board games. I try to avoid Norfolk and the spaghetti road system that is over there. Their web page isn't much help, given gas prices, and you know what it is like living on a peninsula, not sure if it is worth the drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren White
United States
Hampton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The store is just over the bridge in the Oceanview area, so the drive isn't that bad.

I thought the prices were fair for a FLGS. I always try and take the money I save on shipping into account when I make a purchase. I bought the Love Letter (Kanai Factory Ed.) for $10 and a set of Chessex dice for $10. The Memoir '44 expansions were around $30 and that's pretty close to some online retailers. There are definitely some things I would go back for, but some I will purchase online.

I really enjoyed actually seeing and holding physical copies of some games I have never seen in person. The shop does have all the comics/miniatures/rpgs you would expect, but I was pleased with the selection of boardgames.

There is a game shop closer to me, but I will be going back to Atlantis if I want to make a purchase at a FLGS.

Hope this info helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any FLGS in/around Newport News?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls