BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southwest

Subject: San Marcos, TX - Tanger Outlet Mall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from vacation in Central Texas, and wanted to tell you about a great game store I discovered in San Marcos.

We were shopping in the Tanger Outlet Mall and saw a store called Christmas Discount and Games. I was stunned to find the following:

San Juan
Settlers of Catan
Carcassonne - H&G
Memoir '44

All of these games were new, still shrinkwrapped. And all of them were half-price!!! Guess how much I payed for all of them, before tax?

meeplemeeplemeeple $61.91 meeplemeeplemeeple

The employee told me they get these games in all the time. I also saw these games, also for half-price:

Risk 2210
Starfarers of Catan
Axis & Allies: D-Day
Axis & Allies: Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, we moved from San Antonio about 2 years ago. We went to the Tanger Outlet Mall several times, but I never saw that store. Wish I'd found it when I was there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I'm going to be in the vicinity (South Austin) tomorrow. Maybe I will slip on down and see. A cheap copy of San Juan would be nice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, I may have grabbed the last copy of San Juan, but they may be restocking it sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wengler
United States
Hampton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be driving from San Antonio to Austin tomorrow, I will have to check this out. Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting update: when I look at the charge on my bank account on-line, the store name is "San Francisco Music Bo..." and it gets cut-off after that. Probably the previous name of the store, but the same owners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one of these stores in the Grapevine Mills mall in Grapevine, TX. I posted a thread about it. Picked up Snorta, Chairs, Things..., and a Carc Inns&Cathedrals expansion real cheap.

There's also a Tanger Outlet on I-30 east of Dallas. I may make a run out there and see if there's one out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew lavish
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited the San Francisco Music Box Company website. Here are the stores that they had listed in Tx.

Grapevine Mills
3000 Grapevine MillsParkway
Grapevine, TX 76051
972-874-5550

San Marcos Tanger Outlet
4015 Interstate 35
San Marcos, TX 78666
512-392-3237

Unfortunately, it appears that these two are the only corporate stores. SFMBC pedals their wares via second party brick and mortar stores such as Hallmarks. Shame, there are an abundance of outlets in De.
Game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well. Guess I'll make another trip to Grapevine Mills then, since it's only about 10 minutes away. Good to hear their stock rotates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back from my trip - I managed to get tied up in a massive traffic jam for a long time, but I made it there. They looked a bit picked over, but the games were also 66% off. I talked with the sales clerk a bit - she says that they are moving to another location in the center (which is why they are not yet listed on the map...) and they may mark stuff down to 75% off to make the move easier, but they constantly get games in. The final mix will be about 30%-40% games at any given time, all of which will be clearance priced.

I picked up Pirate's Cove, Perudo and Super Scrabble (for my wife - I am not a fan myself) for $35 including tax. I left Starship Catan, Sid Meier's Civilization, Warcraft, Settlers of the Stone Age and the Attack Expansion behind (these are the best titles to my mind that they still had). No San Juan, no Memoir 44, alas. The sales clerk said that they had sold a ton of Catan stuff.

The good news is that it appears that they will continue to be getting stuff and should be worth a visit every now and again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I picked up Pirate's Cove, Perudo and Super Scrabble (for my wife - I am not a fan myself) for $35 including tax. I left Starship Catan, Sid Meier's Civilization, Warcraft, Settlers of the Stone Age and the Attack Expansion behind (these are the best titles to my mind that they still had). No San Juan, no Memoir 44, alas. The sales clerk said that they had sold a ton of Catan stuff.

I took Warcraft, Starfarers, Shocking Roulette and few others... That dang store took $100 from me today. The Mrs. is not going to be happy tonight. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent an hour there, this morning (around 10 am). If you want to know if a game you're looking for is still on their shelves, ask me. I've got a pretty good memory for stuff like that.

Ps. they had two copies of Robo Rally (new AH version) when I left this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you both found some great deals at that store! Since I live near Houston, I won't be going there again anytime soon. But we love the Hill Country, and now I have another reason to visit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
I spent an hour there, this morning (around 10 am). If you want to know if a game you're looking for is still on their shelves, ask me. I've got a pretty good memory for stuff like that.

Ps. they had two copies of Robo Rally (new AH version) when I left this morning.

Heh... you must have walked in just after I left. The clerk must really know about BGG by now! I had forgotten about the copies of RoboRally...

I dropped my wife at Bergstrom for a quick visit to her folks before heading to San Marcos. I may have to slip by again before I pick her up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
I took Warcraft, Starfarers, Shocking Roulette and few others... That dang store took $100 from me today. The Mrs. is not going to be happy tonight.

Hmm. Missed the Shocking Roulette. Not sure I would have bought it if I had seen it, though. I thought long and hard over Starfarers before putting it back on the shelf.

My wife was pretty calm about my purchases (only $35 - not too bad, and one of the games was for her). She did ask if I would play Super Scrabble with her, though. I think that may be her form of payback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Stopped at the one in Grapevine Mills mall. *Lots* of games there now. However, here's what I found out.

Fully 50% of what's there is Monopoly clones, puzzles, and lowest-denominator party games. The rest was mostly stuff that would barely rate a six here - with a few exceptions. Those being Ticket to Ride, Railroad Tycoon, Conquest of the Empires, Axis & Allies, and one of the Axis & Allies variants. Fortunately, those are all in the same spot. I did see Bang! (2nd edition) and the Dodge City expansion, and picked up the base game, which I've been wanting to try.

Discount? There was a sign out front now that said you could roll a die for a discount of up to 20%, however, the guy behind the counter told me they were *all* 20% off. Wise decision on their part, since they all seemed to be labeled MSRP.

The inventory is the remains of the GO! game store kiosks. He said there were 15 of them across the state, and they usually close them out before the end of January - which explains what's going on at the San Marcos store. However, the Grapevine Mills store is a consolidation of several different stores (Go!, San Francisco Music Box Co., etc...) because they wanted to keep the space open. So games will continue to be available, but the selection will probably stay hit or miss.

The guy *did* say he liked the game part of the store more than the rest of it - which was music boxes and Christmas ornaments. I pointed him here and told him he could learn a lot more about the games he's trying to sell if he checked it out.

Will probably go back in a month or so and see if their selection has changed much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Adair
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My GeekBadge
badge
My Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They now only have one copy of Robo Rally left! It was 75% off instead of 66% for some reason... The box is *slightly* squished.

I also got Classic Waterworks, Mille Bornes, Cityscape (open box, 75% off), Risk 2210, and Settlers of the Stone Age.

6 games for $67. Great deals! Thanks for letting us know about this one! However, the signs said the 66% off sale ends on March 31. If it is 50% every day, then that is still worth the drive.

They still had an open box Civilization (all the pieces are still in the sprues though), a bunch of Cranium brand games, and a lot of puzzles. One Ravensburger puzzle had 18,000 pieces in a huge box! I don't think I have a table big enough for that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, man, I completely missed Robo Rally. I would have grabbed that, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone stopped by to see the store's new location in the outlet mall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wengler
United States
Hampton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Has anyone stopped by to see the store's new location in the outlet mall?

I drove by the former location of the store on Sunday and it was empty so I assumed they had closed shop. Do you know where in the outlet they moved to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I don't. And they haven't updated the map yet...

http://www.tangeroutlet.com/centers/pdfs/maps/out/SAN.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I went by today. Closed up. I drove around the mall to see if they made a short relo, but not yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wengler
United States
Hampton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to mention that this store only relocated and did not close up for good.

It is now across the parking lot from where it was before, next to the Borders Outlet. The only really gamer's game I saw there when I last went by was 4 copies of Robo Rally at $25 a piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also had a couple of copies of Settler's and a copy of Bootleggers. (Ooh, and Fluxx...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ramirez
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jon, I was just going to send you an email with a link to this thread.

Robo Rally (after our Tuesday session) seems like a great choice... maybe this weekend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.