United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Hi y'all. I've made some changes to the game ranking system - nothing too drastic, but it will make some differences for some games.

First: I've decided that wargames are their own category, and have given them their own rankings. They are still eligible for the ordinary ranking, but other changes described below will probably bring them down a bit in that list.

Second: I've developed a secret system for dealing with shillers. I'm not going to tell you what it is, but suffice it to say that I hope it will weed out a great number of the shill votes from affecting the feel free to reratings. Don't worry... ordinary users won't have their votes affected by this. I don't expect to get many, if any, false positives on this system, and the number of voters excluded is very small.

Third: When this site started keeping ratings, we decided to use a system that added 30 dummy "average" voters to each game, to pull games toward the average if they had very few ratings. This keeps a game with very few, but very high, ratings from rocketing to the top of the list. Since then, the number of voters on the site has significantly increased. In order to bring the dummy voter system back in line with the original intent, I've increased it to 100, and furthermore pegged that number to the total number of voters, so that as the site continues to grow, the number of dummy voters will increase with it. I expect this to be the most controversial change.

Early on in BGG, it was harder for a new game to break into the top 100 because of these dummy voters. It has gotten gradually easier over the years, and this change brings us closer to how it was at the beginning.

Don't worry - the good new games will still make it in as they receive more votes.

Finally, I have removed game expansions from the rankings for reasons which have been thoroughly discussed previously.

I hope everyone likes this change, but it is not up for discussion. If you don't like the new ratings, I'm sorry, but we can't please everyone. Complaining here will not change my mind... it will only hurt my feelings. cry

I genuinely think these changes are for the better, though, and that it will be good for the site and the gaming community.

I know that there are some games listed as wargames that shouldn't be there. Please don't mention them here now, or submit corrections. Very soon, users will be able to fix categories using the geekmod system. Please hold tight till then.

Oh, and all you shillbusters please remove your 1's immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb

Aldie, these changes ALL sound great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Oh, and all you shillbusters please remove your 1's immediately.

yaayy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Calling all Spielfrieks! It's time to vote for the Meeples Choice Awards at the Yahoo User Group!
mbmbmbmbmb
All of those changes sound excellent, Aldie. I just took a look at the Top 50 and it seems more in line with what you would expect than the old system. I wish there was a way that you could automatically eliminate the shillbuster ratings as well, but I guess asking people to do it voluntarily is the best method. Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

If you don't like the new ratings, I'm sorry, but we can't please everyone. Complaining here will not change my mind... it will only hurt my feelings. cry

HEY! Ya got that, folks? No hurting me Aldie's feelings!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the changes are all for the best.

Expansion rankings have always been suspect for reasons spoken about on numerous occasions. War games certainly deserve their own area of the site, and the split should be good. Similarly, the increased threshold of 100 rankings makes complete sense given the number of people that frequent BGG these days.

Kudos to you on all of this Aldie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A-ha! I've got it! You've changed the ratings system so that E&T once more jumps above Caylus!

Just kidding. I think these are all great changes! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
These changes sound good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
First: I've decided that wargames are their own category, and have given them their own rankings.

Thanks for the continuous improvements to the site, Aldie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"I wonder," he said to himself presently, "I wonder if this sort of car *starts* easily?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Can you make the Advanced Search page default to 100 ratings instead of 30 ratings?

Quote:
Average User Rating Range Values 1 to 10 to with at least 30 user ratings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Parker
United States
Danville
Vermont
flag msg tools
Holy $#!+ Aldie. You've rocked my world. I'd just nearly completed my quest to own all the games (currenly) in the top 50... and now you go and mess me all up by fundamentally restructuring the rankings.

Well, good to know there are more exceedingly worthy candidates out there. I hate having nothing new to buy, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Complaining here will not change my mind... it will only hurt my feelings. cry

Now I have a vision of you doing that Boy George Song.

'Taint pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"I wonder," he said to himself presently, "I wonder if this sort of car *starts* easily?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the little mouseover question mark icons by rank and rating will need to be adjusted to say 100 ratings instead of 30. There may be other places on the geek that say 30, too, come to think of it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHOO! Thank you, Aldie.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
Also, the little mouseover question mark icons by rank and rating will need to be adjusted to say 100 ratings instead of 30. There may be other places on the geek that say 30, too, come to think of it ...

Actually - the cutoff for a game to be ranked is still 30 ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the number of ranked games dropped from about 3,100 yesterday to about 2,800 under the new system. Is that the good work of the shill busters?

EDIT: Oops, never mind. I see why:
Quote:
Finally, I have removed game expansions from the rankings for reasons which have been thoroughly discussed previously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the improvements on the game ratings. thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spoto
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great.

The expansion issue is one that I particularly like. If you could do somthing similar for number of plays, so an expansion scores against the base game, this would also help the statistics on which games are really getting the most plays! Thanks for all the great improvements.

BGG Rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchfield
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The wargame rankings are a good step forward....some of the games are getting even more killed on the average rating now though. I guess it is a trade off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
So, does this mean that other categories will have their own rankings (e.g. Children's games, Party Games, Deduction Games) in the future?

It seems like a lot of good changes (funny how I just mentioned a few days ago that the bayesian dummy entries should be bumped up to 100).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the changes, although I think (though am not sure) some games have taken a beating with the new system. This will probably rectify itself after a while.

I especially like the move towards integrating expansions more closely with the base game in terms of game information. I would like to be able to someday count my games only by base game for feelings of general "well, I'm not THAT bad of a junkie"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I anxiously await JonMichael Rasmus' next Top 100 Analysis update. That's going to be entertaining!

(Poor, poor jmr)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
bilbo at bag end wrote:
I especially like the move towards integrating expansions more closely with the base game in terms of game information.
I don't understand. I checked Carcassonne the River and didn't see anything that showed, for instance, Carc's base game rating in place of the expansion's rating (which was in the 1000s). What are you referring to?

And to Aldie, I thought expansions were removed from the rankings (per your comment), yet this one is still listed with a ranking. Shouldn't it's rating show the base game rank or something like that? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Geeklists are now showing all entries as unranked...

By the way, how are you all viewing the rankings since the top 10/50 lists aren't available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This all looks great to me! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.