Popular Tags: [View All]
S Y
United States
Ridgefield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
Looking for a deck builder type game to play with my daughter. We've played Catan Jr. King of Tokyo, Ticket to Ride. Now looking to expand her horizons with a good deck builder.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension
Copycat
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)
Trains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the big question is how good is your daughter's reading? If she is confident then just she'll be able to have a decent go at just about anything.

I have a six-year-old daughter and have played Eminent Domain and Dominion with her, and she enjoys both. I think the favourite for her would be Dominion, particularly with cards from the Cornucopia expansion as many of these reward having varied decks, which suits a young child's "enthusiastic" style of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is 5 and cant read but she likes playing games so we play Dominion it has very simple rules and if you use

Market, Smity, mine, witch, thief, militia, village and moat,

all cards are easy to explain or have only symbols. With the thief and the witch the game is more interactive.
We play with omly 4 provences so the game dont last to lang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Holmfirth
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7yr old daughter enjoys Marvel Legendary, there is a bit of reading involved but as it is a co-op game it doesn't matter if I have to help her.

Smash up is good fun too but not a deck builder as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should go with Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) as mixing chips in a bag is easier for kids than shuffling cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add a recommendation for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game
My kids really enjoy it, it only has a single resource to worry about (unlike Ascension) and no limit on number of buys/actions (unlike Dominion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the kid I think Legendary Marvel would do well too. It's superheroes, which is probably a good choice, and co-op, so you can explain cards as you play without feeling like your cheating by seeing their cards. It's also not too hard to win compared to some other co-ops. Plus the art is really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Y
United States
Ridgefield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She reads very well. ( don't want to brag but she likes reading Geronimo Stilton and of course she asks me for definitions of the harder words )
So it seems Dominion and Legendary are the main choices. Will check then out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If she's reading that well, and you want something that is not just deck-building, also check out Core Worlds. In addition to drafting cards into your deck, you also have to decide how to use your limited number of actions and energy to deploy troops and conquer worlds. The theme integrates with the mechanics perfectly, and every game is different because only part of the cards are available for drafting. (Dominion is pretty themeless, which is one of the reasons I did not really warm up to it.)

Also plays well with 2-5 players, although with 5 it may be too long unless you interleave the actions (when someone starts to deploy, the next player can already start his/her action unless what troops end up deployed affect the decision).

The second edition (minor clarifications to cards and rules) will be available in shops soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one game that is seeking funds on kickstarter Stack & Attack. Based on the description it looks pretty simple and it's a deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Y
United States
Ridgefield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
If she's reading that well, and you want something that is not just deck-building, also check out Core Worlds. In addition to drafting cards into your deck, you also have to decide how to use your limited number of actions and energy to deploy troops and conquer worlds. The theme integrates with the mechanics perfectly, and every game is different because only part of the cards are available for drafting. (Dominion is pretty themeless, which is one of the reasons I did not really warm up to it.)

Also plays well with 2-5 players, although with 5 it may be too long unless you interleave the actions (when someone starts to deploy, the next player can already start his/her action unless what troops end up deployed affect the decision).

The second edition (minor clarifications to cards and rules) will be available in shops soon.

Core Worlds looks really cool but it also sounds long.
How fun is smash-up?
so many choices....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sannyyoon wrote:
Hi
Looking for a deck builder type game to play with my daughter. We've played Catan Jr. King of Tokyo, Ticket to Ride. Now looking to expand her horizons with a good deck builder.

Thanks.

I guess it depends on her interests, but I think Thunderstones theme would appeal more than Dominion for a lot of kids (not all). It actually did for me as well but theme in an important part of most of my collection. It also comes down to how much fun you have with a game since she will mostly likely feed off your excitement. Good luck!

EDIT: I also think having a board helps as well, and with Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin, you get one. It helps ease to learning curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sannyyoon wrote:
How fun is smash-up?

Based on my early impressions it's quite a lot of fun.

I see one problem though: some of the factions (particularly the robots) have abilities that change the strength of their minions depending on the other minions in play. This basically means that there can sometimes be a lot of adding up to do every time a card gets played in order to see if a base breaks. When I played Smash Up with my 6-year-old it involved me having to do a constant commentary of what scores have been built up on each base. Her arithmetic skills are pretty good for her age but nowhere near what was required here.

So, I'd say good, fun game but be aware of the maths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

I would say that Core Worlds would be too difficult for most 6 year olds. I play a lot of Ascension with my boys 5 and 7 and they love it - I wouldn't try Core Worlds with the 7 year old yet, however, as there is just too much hard thinking and calculating involved. (But don't get me wrong, I like it a lot.)

Ascension works very well - certainly the vanilla Chronicle of the Godslayer version - there are only two ongoing resources to calculate each turn (power and runes) as the honour sort of takes care of itself - just don't know if the theme would be as attractive to girls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barnetto wrote:
Ascension works very well - certainly the vanilla Chronicle of the Godslayer version - there are only two ongoing resources to calculate each turn (power and runes) as the honour sort of takes care of itself - just don't know if the theme would be as attractive to girls?

I know this isn't really what you mean but I have a bit of a twitchy sensitivity to stuff about games for boys and girls. My daughter seems to like a lot of games that wouldn't be naturally recommended for girls. She's fascinated by space ships, robots, pirates and monsters as well as unicorns and fairies. I forgot to mention it earlier, but another deckbuilding game we have had some success with has been Rune Age, which at first glance looks very "boyish", though personally I find it a little on the fiddly side for playing with her.

I think her main criterion for games is if there are interesting looking female characters being portrayed. If the females are wielding flaming swords or hurling magic around then so much the better.

Sorry to go off topic. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest deckbuilder I've played is DC Comics Deck-Building Game with very simple rules and characters most kids would recognise. However, as with basically all the suggestions here, there is a lot of reading and she may need a bit of help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
mb
Dominion is still the top choice for my kids. For us Dominion is better than games like Thunderstone because it plays in only 20-30 minutes, where Thunderstone can last twice that long. Sometimes my kids' attention spans aren't up for a game that lasts more than a half hour.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that my son is 10, my eldest daughter is 9 and my youngest daughter is 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
barnetto wrote:

I know this isn't really what you mean but I have a bit of a twitchy sensitivity to stuff about games for boys and girls. My daughter seems to like a lot of games that wouldn't be naturally recommended for girls. She's fascinated by space ships, robots, pirates and monsters as well as unicorns and fairies. I forgot to mention it earlier, but another deckbuilding game we have had some success with has been Rune Age, which at first glance looks very "boyish", though personally I find it a little on the fiddly side for playing with her.

I think her main criterion for games is if there are interesting looking female characters being portrayed. If the females are wielding flaming swords or hurling magic around then so much the better.

Sorry to go off topic. arrrh

Thanks and I agree with everything you say about the criteria for games - I did actually think twice about including the statement at all as I know a lot of people hate any stereotyping - but as the OP did specify recommendations for a 6 year old girl, I took the request as implicitly involving some element of expectation as to the type of game that might appeal and so I felt obliged to comment on that aspect. Though I completely accept that the inclusion of female characters would be a better indicator than general theme. (There are plenty of female depicted heroes in Ascension, by the way.)

Personally I don't have so much of a problem with stereotyping (provided it doesn't actively affect a person's behaviour towards an individual)- and stereotypes generally have some element of truth in them otherwise they wouldn't arise - but of course they are not remotely universal truths and everyone knows (in the case of this particular stereotype) whether it has any relevance at all to their child or not.

Anyway, hopefully I didn't overstep the mark on this occasion. Certainly I was trying to be helpful, not to annoy anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
I forgot to mention it earlier, but another deckbuilding game we have had some success with has been Rune Age, which at first glance looks very "boyish", though personally I find it a little on the fiddly side for playing with her.

PS I also bought Rune Age with a view to playing it with my 7 year old. I liked the idea of the co-operative gameplay element. But when I tried it out solo first I too found it quite fiddly and thought that I would just end up having to run his turns for him. (I also had to look up some of the basic rules online to work out how to play it first!) It's gone back into the cupboard now until he and his brother are a little older, as I think it actually may be more fun played competetively?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa DeMorris
United States
El Paso
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarriors!
Our boys liked Quarriors. You get the mechanics of deck building w/ out the shuffling. Who doesn't like to throw handfuls of dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barnetto wrote:
(There are plenty of female depicted heroes in Ascension, by the way.)

Cool. Must get around to trying it.

Quote:
Anyway, hopefully I didn't overstep the mark on this occasion. Certainly I was trying to be helpful, not to annoy anyone.

Not from where I'm sitting. I wasn't annoyed by you at all (and I hope I didn't annoy anyone else!) but the whole gender stereotyping thing is just a subject where I find it hard to keep my silence. It's far worse in a toy shop where there is an aisle labelled "Boys" containing all the cool stuff and an aisle labelled "Girls" with dolls, toy cooking things, and pink stuff. Ach! I'm off again. Really sorry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
It's far worse in a toy shop where there is an aisle labelled "Boys" containing all the cool stuff and an aisle labelled "Girls" with dolls, toy cooking things, and pink stuff. Ach!

Why don't you consider those things cool as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
Why don't you consider those things cool as well?

You've got me there! I'm just showing my own dumb prejudices. blush

What I should have said instead of "cool stuff" was something like "construction toys, dinosaurs and vehicles".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.