Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Recommend a deck builder game to play with kids (6yr girl). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Gengar in Hawaii
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this isn't quite what you asked for, but all the posters above have already given you what you asked for.

I'm going to give you a tip based on my raising 3 daughters. Your original question seems to show that you're focusing on exposing your daughter to a new mechanic: deck-building. I very much think that's the wrong way to approach things. Theme is 10 times more important to a young girl than mechanic. Make that that theme and spending time with you.

With that in mind, the all-time, no-debate, best-for-bonding and most fun game we played in the early years was Pokémon Trading Card Game.

They loved everything about it. They talked about it constantly away from the game table. They spent hours putting together decks. They played the video games on their Gameboys, and they watched the cartoon (which was surprising decent, I must say -- don't know if that's still true).

The games taught them type-matching and other good tactics. Building the decks taught strategy. And wonder of wonders, I actually enjoyed the game play myself. Something about the system does a really good job of keeping the games in balance. (Unlike MtG, for instance, where you can just buy your way to an awesome deck. Also, I agreed with them that cute critters are better than adolescent zombie/monster fantasy.)

Hey, I could go on, but this is already too long. Sorry. You just raised a topic that I'm strangely passionate about.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Y
United States
Ridgefield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrino22 wrote:

With that in mind, the all-time, no-debate, best-for-bonding and most fun game we played in the early years was Pokémon Trading Card Game.

They loved everything about it. They talked about it constantly away from the game table. They spent hours putting together decks. They played the video games on their Gameboys, and they watched the cartoon (which was surprising decent, I must say -- don't know if that's still true).


That's interesting but the last thing I would want is for my daughter to become a mindless consumer of Japanese marketing
She's already one for Disney princesses/fairies & MLP.

The reason for Deck Building is just to expose her to something new. Chess still rules though
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Gengar in Hawaii
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sannyyoon wrote:
Corrino22 wrote:

With that in mind, the all-time, no-debate, best-for-bonding and most fun game we played in the early years was Pokémon Trading Card Game.

They loved everything about it. They talked about it constantly away from the game table. They spent hours putting together decks. They played the video games on their Gameboys, and they watched the cartoon (which was surprising decent, I must say -- don't know if that's still true).


That's interesting but the last thing I would want is for my daughter to become a mindless consumer of Japanese marketing

Totally hear you on that, but keep in mind, they're going to consume something. Best you can do is nudge them towards less mindless options, and believe it or not, Pokemon qualifies.

p.s. I'm a former teacher. My girls were 5th, 1st and 1st in their HS classes. Into sports, music and games. Not a princess in the group, I promise you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zielinski
Poland
flag msg tools
Given time lapse I am sure your kids have moved onto more advanced games.

Since I am on a quest for the same and after reading many replies, I think that many recommended games here and their themes are not kids friendly, if not to say - inappropriate. So it is just not about the complexity...

Having played yet, but would like to share my research and both are deck building board games:
Fantastiqa Age 8+
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure Recommended as 12+ but looks very nice.

would welcome any feedback.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Faught
Taiwan
Long Tan
Taoyuan
flag msg tools
Legendary is co-op which is always good for young kids.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the DC Deckbuilding game to be one of the easiest to explain and teach to any beginner. It does come in "flavors" though. There are two-player variants as well as multiple player ones. Of the themes, probably the Cartoon Network Crossover Crisis or Teen Titan Go are the most aimed at kids, but some of the first boxes of superhero ones work as well. Stay away from Forever Evil because it is more PvP. Most of the co-op deckbuilders are pretty difficult to understand until you get the concept of deckbuilding first.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wayne
msg tools
mb
As a father of three girls (7,8,12) I can recommend Clank. Also check out The Quest for El Dorado for another deck building option.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Carpenter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does she like Harry Potter? If so, Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle is fantastic! It's co-op, and you play through all seven books, with each game getting harder.

I played all seven books/games with my fiance and his young daughter last year, and we all absolutely loved it! The first few are quite easy, but then the difficulty level really ramps up around five (it took us several attempts to win six!)

However, if she's not in to Harry Potter, then maybe not!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello
Italy
flag msg tools
Dale of Merchants.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
Paperback, or Hardback.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Quest for El Dorado
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sparkin84 wrote:
Does she like Harry Potter? If so, Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle is fantastic! It's co-op, and you play through all seven books, with each game getting harder.

I played all seven books/games with my fiance and his young daughter last year, and we all absolutely loved it! The first few are quite easy, but then the difficulty level really ramps up around five (it took us several attempts to win six!)

However, if she's not in to Harry Potter, then maybe not! :D


Another vote for Harry Potter. It's really great!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms
Smash Up
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Daniels
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you all think that quarriors is easier for kids than dice master? I have not played either I have just heard they are similar and was wondering because my daughter (currently 5) loves dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.