Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In this preview, I’m going to cover some of the cards from the ‘Empire’. There are two Empires in the game, Red and Blue. Aside from the colour, the cards are identical, which allows you to play a symmetrical game (This is also what I use for teaching the game).

Each player deck consists of 18 cards. 5 of them are common beings, the other 13 being heroic beings. The type of being it is can be seen in the symbol in the top left of the card – for the Empire, this is a sword for a common being, and a pair of crossed swords for a heroic being.

Enough talking – let’s have some pictures...

It was a tricky choice deciding which cards to show, as they are all different, and each has their own merits. Before going into more detail, I’m just going to explain again about the patterns which are on each card.

The pattern shows the minimum requirement for this card to be played. If a piece is shown, then you must have that piece or better (If the pattern shows a common piece and you have a heroic one instead, that is ok.) Also, an empty square on the pattern does not have to be empty, it could have any piece in it.

The square on the pattern with the white border around it is where the new piece is placed. On most cards, this square is empty on the pattern, but on some of them (e.g. Cannon), there is a piece already on the square. This means that you need to have a piece there (common or better), and the new piece replaces that one.
Remember that you can rotate the pattern any way you want, and you can also flip/mirror it as required.

Summoning a piece onto a square replaces whatever is already there (either your own, or your enemy) Note: You cannot summon a being onto a square if there is a higher ranked piece on that square (either an enemy or your own). i.e. You cannot summon a common being onto a square where there is a heroic or legendary piece.

Example:

In the above image, the squares marked with a 1 show empty squares where you can summon a Messenger. The squares marked with a 2 is also possible locations, but doing so would replace your existing piece. Square 3 is also ok, and summoning the Messenger here would replace the Sylvan common piece. Finally Squares 4 are not a possibility, since the piece there is a higher rank than the Messenger.

Moving Pieces
We haven’t really covered this yet, and I probably should before explaining the cards. There are a number of different types of movement in the game that are mentioned on cards.

Standard move: Move to an adjacent square, destroying any piece on that square of a lower rank. You cannot move if the square is occupied by a piece of the same rank or higher.

Combat move: Move to an adjacent square, destroying any piece on that square of the same rank or a lower rank. You cannot move if the square is occupied by a piece of a higher rank.

So - In summary. These two are almost the same, except with a combat move you can destroy a piece of the same rank, whereas the standard move, you can only destroy a piece of lower rank.

Now a bit more about each of the cards:

Messenger
Moving your pieces around is always good, and this gal helps you do that. You can move just a single square, or all the way across the board. And, if you choose a heroic piece, and your opponent has left a handy line of his common pieces in the way, there will be much rejoicing.

Bomb
I love this card. Not because I’ve been able to get it to work properly in my games (have I mentioned yet how incredibly bad I am at this game?), I just like it thematically. It appears; the fuse burns quickly, and then BOOM!

Cannon
Another 'explosive' card in the Empire deck (there are only 3 in total) – I wanted to show this card because you need to have one of your pieces on the square where the Cannon is summoned. The effect is a bit more controlled than the Bomb, but it also kills all common pieces, irrespective of ownership.

Gryphon Rider
I picked this card because of the theme. One thing I love about Vlaada’s games is the way that when I am teaching / demoing the game, I find it easy to explain the rules because they make sense and can be explained thematically.

Combat leap on this card is like a combat move, but to any square on the board instead of just an adjacent square.
So basically, the Gryphon and Rider appear, take to the air, land anywhere else on the board, and then you have a choice to leave them as a heroic piece. Or, the rider dismounts to an adjacent square, leaving 2 common beings.

That’s all for now. There’s been a lot in this preview as I needed to explain some more rules of the game before showing the cards. The next two previews will be shorter, and just cards from the other factions.

Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the preview.

Is there any catchup mechanism in the game? It seems like the more ahead you are(have more pieces on the board) the easier it is to summon additional creature.

Sure the cannon seems like one of those "equalizer" cards.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
You also draw cards from a seperate deck (there are three, yours, the Legendary deck, and the "catchup" deck) that is for catching up.

Each catchup card has two effects, one for "you have less pieces on the board" and one for "you have less high level pieces on the board". I don't know the exact details, but I believe that you get either or both, whichever you deserve. So if you have less pieces AND less high level pieces, you get both bonuses.

In melee mode, this gives your enemies bonus points. Dunno how it works for questing mode.

If you're curious, I believe you start with 3 of your cards, 2 legendaries, and 1 catchup. I don't know how card drawing works, once we have that (if anyone knows and would like to share, that would be awesome) and scoring we'll know pretty much the entire ruleset.

My assumption, given how little they've said about card drawing and resource management, when you play a card, you draw a new one (from the same deck).

Are there any doubles in the decks? Or is it 18 different cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The balancer cards will be covered in a later preview, along with most of the other questions. Since I've already covered summoning and moving in this one, then when I show 4 cards from the Sylvan faction next time, I'll probably cover some of the other stuff too.

As for the 18 cards - yes, they are all unique, no duplicates.

As for card drawing - its simple, you draw up at the end of your turn so that you have 3 of your own cards, 2 legendaries and 1 balancer. The more you play, the more you draw. But more on that in a later preview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
TK:AoL reminds me of a suped up derivative of The Duke.
Which is a good thing. thumbsup

I'm curious how multiplayer works with only two factions. Is it only possible through team play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:
I'm curious how multiplayer works with only two factions. Is it only possible through team play?

Sneak Preview - Part 1 gives an overview of the various ways to play multiplayer. There are 4 factions in total, although 2 of them have the same cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K L
Germany
Remagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of text on the cards... do you know of any translations/versions in other languages (especially in German)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At Essen - it will be available in both English and German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Mertens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And in french?

More I read about this game, more I want to play it

Just a question about the Gryphon. On the card, they said that finaly you have two common pieces. But, if I understand well what you said, you have the choice to have an heroic piece or two common pieces. That's right?

Thanks for your preview!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukáš Rinka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says you may downgrade gryphon. But I think you don´t have to and you can choose to leave it in heroic form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like great fun.

I hope the catch-up cards aren't very powerful. There's nothing worse than a fun game with a huge catch up mechanism that makes your decisions more meaningless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will be published in French by IELLO, not for Essen but later. That's all we know so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Mertens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
The game will be published in French by IELLO, not for Essen but later. That's all we know so far.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Čurla
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I still don't understand why only the Empire decks are duplicate?
Is there any reason for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fox
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
rrrrupp wrote:
Looks like great fun.

I hope the catch-up cards aren't very powerful. There's nothing worse than a fun game with a huge catch up mechanism that makes your decisions more meaningless.

I wonder if competitive matches will use catch-up cards. It's possible that without them the result will be decided too quickly, and therefore more randomly. Of course, it is important that the player using the catch-up mechanism remains with a less than 50% chance of winning.

Another option is that in competitive matches they can be used strategically in an even position, for example by using the common catch-up when you are ahead in heroics/legendaries, or vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To allow two people to play completely balanced games, I guess. Also it is probably easier to learn the game with identic forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Čurla
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Itai wrote:
To allow two people to play completely balanced games, I guess. Also it is probably easier to learn the game with identic forces.

Which is cool but my question was why not duplicate the other two factions also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that way, those who like symetric games can play empire and those who prefer asymetric games have a choice between 3 factions (and not only 2). That way, everyone's happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
majormajor wrote:
rrrrupp wrote:
Looks like great fun.

I wonder if competitive matches will use catch-up cards. It's possible that without them the result will be decided too quickly, and therefore more randomly. Of course, it is important that the player using the catch-up mechanism remains with a less than 50% chance of winning.

Another option is that in competitive matches they can be used strategically in an even position, for example by using the common catch-up when you are ahead in heroics/legendaries, or vice versa.

In fact the catch-up cards are important factor especially in competitive matches. Position game with some luck (card draw) means sometimes one gets in situation where he's dominating the map. These ballancing cards bring really interesting situation to the game, an extra layer of strategy which wouldn't be there otherwise. Simply said without them all you'd wanted to do is to dominate the board as much as possible to be as ready to complete Tasks as possible.

But like this you're in fact trying not to have much more pieces on board than your opponent. Often it's even advantageous to be behind which lets you play these cards.

Regarding their strength - some simply give you an action, some will let you upgrade or place a common piece on the map. There are various effects but they're like this. I am sure Paul will cover them in future Sneak Peeks so stay tuned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter R.
Italy
Bozen
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
At Essen - it will be available in both English and German.

Oh yeah, you just sold a german copy of the game whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for another great preview, Paul - you sure know how to make me even more excited about a game I already knew I wanted

I must confess that I was a little puzzled that there seems so little difference between a "standard move" and a "combat move" - indeed, the first time I read it I thought they were identical, and that you'd just accidentally defined one of them twice and left out the other. It was only on getting to the end and thinking "why has no-one else mentioned this" that I went back and noticed the crucial difference. If I understand right, a combat move can kill off an enemy piece of the same rank as yours, while a standard move can't. Despite not knowing the full rules, it's already clear that that's a pretty huge difference, but nonetheless I missed it initially in the way you phrased them modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it right. I might go back and reword what I said to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT. Original post updated as I had a rule wrong. You cannot summon a piece if it would replace any piece that is of higher rank, not just an enemy piece. All ok now. Move along, nothing to see here....whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:
TK:AoL reminds me of a suped up derivative of The Duke.
Which is a good thing. thumbsup

Duke looks great, too, but the killer selling point here is summoning-based-on-combo-of-positions not the shared chess-like movement mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.