$30.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
91 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Rocketville angers me! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the pop-down advert does anyway!
I keep clicking CLOSE on the thing or turn of the LOOP option but it still stays there and I can't get to the top bar, search games or check my geekmail until the lousy thing goes away of it's own accord.

That's gonna stop me even THINKING about buying the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
FYI

Contribute to the site again. You can block all ads with a $20 contribution.

I notice you donated last year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Contributions should be optional, not required to make the site function.

No matter how beneficial and good it might be to donate, the key word is "donate" and not "subscribe."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
It has certainly put a lot of people off the game, before it's even released!

My solution is to immediately click on BoardGameGeek on the left of the ad, so it refreshes the screen and goes away.

Not ideal, but a quick fix.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
FYI

Contribute to the site again. You can block all ads with a $20 contribution.

I notice you donated last year.



I won't be forced into donating because of an annoying ad. While I love this site, I have not been thrilled by recent changes in the format, so I have been holding off on my donation for this year and may not give one at all.

Gary
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
That ad is really very annoying!

crazyyog wrote:
I won't be forced into donating because of an annoying ad. While I love this site, I have not been thrilled by recent changes in the format, so I have been holding off on my donation for this year and may not give one at all.

You're not alone...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither of you is donating for this year simply because of the way the site is formatted?

What about the quality of the site's contents? Both of you have enjoyed and benefited from the reviews, reports, trades, etc. That benefit hasn't changed, has it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Quote:

I won't be forced into donating because of an annoying ad. While I love this site, I have not been thrilled by recent changes in the format, so I have been holding off on my donation for this year and may not give one at all.


Hahahahahaha.

I suppose you guys are the ones who won't be forced to buy a round of beers for the rest of the group because the beer just isn't cold enough for your delicate taste buds.

No. Not us. We'll just sit here and cry into the beer that someone else bought for us, because we're offended by the audacity of the host to serve cold beer instead of ice-cold beer.

That comment is priceless. No point in deleting it. I've saved it. You will be seeing it again on my blog.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
So the only way I'm allowed to comment on ads on the site is if I've subscribed to ad block in which case I wouldn't even have seen it in the first place? There is an error in the logic someplace.

Ads that were annoying were removed in the past. Like clockwork. Why not now?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really disappointing to see people ridiculing others simply because they didn't choose to make a completely voluntary donation.

Do you mock people who fail to give money to the Red Cross?

It's perfectly reasonable for people who have *not* donated to politely complain about things that don't work on the site. Donations are *voluntary*.

Thank goodness that there are so many nice people here to balance out the unfriendly members of BGG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as someone who did donate, I agree with you. I haven't been thrilled with the recent changes either. Also, I don't think donation should in any way be mandatory, or that those who donate are "better" then those who don't. It's an entirely optional thing...or it used to be anyway.

Quote:
I won't be forced into donating because of an annoying ad. While I love this site, I have not been thrilled by recent changes in the format, so I have been holding off on my donation for this year and may not give one at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrible pop up! mis-clicked it away and got sent to some crappy bingo site...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it as well. It often causes my search bar not to work. Hence, against my desire, I disabled the banner ads (which, overall, I do like). The google ads are evil and hence they are gone. Once the Rocketville evilness leaves, I will re-enable banner ads.

However, I dontated because I wanted too. The ad function is a nice perk though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "close" button on the ad was actually working for me a day or two ago. Alas, it's not anymore...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
I hate it as well. It often causes my search bar not to work. Hence, against my desire, I disabled the banner ads (which, overall, I do like). The google ads are evil and hence they are gone. Once the Rocketville evilness leaves, I will re-enable banner ads.




I just blocked this particular one at the source. You can do that with Firefox and still see the other ads.


For what it's worth, my five year old LOVES the ad, it cracks him up. I love my child very much, but take what you will about an ad for the once great Avalon Hill name that only appeals to a very young child and manages to anger a great portion of an entire user community.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Donations are completely voluntary. We merely added the option to shutdown ads if you were willing to give a certain level of support to 'support' an appropriate level of income for Aldie (I use the term 'appropriate' very losely here).

However, on the Rocketville ad, I can appreciate your displeasure. When we receive a campaign from some company, we always have the option to walk away from it, and in many cases we do (to the detriment of income, I might add). Also when we receive a banner, it's designed by third-party people, so we have little control over it. In many cases, we've sent the banner back and asked them to fix certain aspects (like the mouse over problem you cite). But as you can probably imagine, if we continually kick the campaigns back in their faces, companies won't want to deal with us, so it's a fine line.

I can tell you that we'd much rather see a boardgame banner up there than anything else, as that's much more useful to y'all than some random, run-of-the-mill banner ad you see everywhere. In the end, please realize that we're constantly striving to deliver a good product to everyone, while still allowing Aldie (and more importantly his wife) sleep at night without worrying about the income stream that the site generates.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
It's really disappointing to see people ridiculing others simply because they didn't choose to make a completely voluntary donation.

Do you mock people who fail to give money to the Red Cross?

It's perfectly reasonable for people who have *not* donated to politely complain about things that don't work on the site. Donations are *voluntary*.

Thank goodness that there are so many nice people here to balance out the unfriendly members of BGG.


I agree with you. Crackpot's comment was unnecessary and totally lame. But apparently he's so smart he knows exactly what you would do in a bar when served warm beer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
It has certainly put a lot of people off the game, before it's even released!


Actually, it is out. I saw it at my games shop a couple of days ago.

Jason
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Stein
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The popup is awful, and I particularly don't like it that the ad wants to play music. I think I will send a note to Avalon Hill and tell them that for me the ad is a dis-incentive to purchase the game. Also suggesting that while we appreciate them subsidising our favorite web site with their advertising dollars, their ads could be better done.

As regards donations, after lurking for far TOO LONG I became a contributor this year when I learned that the site needed hardware upgrades and I realized that I would grieve if the site vanished. BGG is the first place I go to for good info re: my addictio. . hobby.

Thanks folks!

I will paste a copy of this posting to the Avalon Hill mailme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I spent the $20, blocked all the adds, and haven't even thought about them for months (except when threads like this appear).

I also don't like some of the new changes being implemented but complaining about them would be like getting angry that a place like Disneyland doesn't stay frozen in time like it was when I was 12 years old so I can go relive my childhood memories. Times change. (And yeah, it sucks sometimes.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing Rocketville, I had assumed by the title of this thread it had something to do with gameplay, which, frankly, is lacking. The colors used in the game should be a dead give away that the game is going to suck.

BTW I can happily say that I have no idea what you all are talking about and I don't intend to change my ad blocker to find out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Jesper Edmark
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had chosen to NOT block the banner ads until the Rocketville one came along. But until it has done it's tour and goes away, I will keep them blocked.

I agree with what many have already said, a banner ad that puts the viewers off from buying the game is not doing it's job very well... shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Word.... Firefox

Get it. Love it. No more pop ups!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Hamster; the ad is interfering with the site's functionality. I can't even type in the search box.

Clay
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
derk wrote:
Donations are completely voluntary. We merely added the option to shutdown ads if you were willing to give a certain level of support to 'support' an appropriate level of income for Aldie (I use the term 'appropriate' very losely here).

However, on the Rocketville ad, I can appreciate your displeasure. When we receive a campaign from some company, we always have the option to walk away from it, and in many cases we do (to the detriment of income, I might add). Also when we receive a banner, it's designed by third-party people, so we have little control over it. In many cases, we've sent the banner back and asked them to fix certain aspects (like the mouse over problem you cite). But as you can probably imagine, if we continually kick the campaigns back in their faces, companies won't want to deal with us, so it's a fine line.

I can tell you that we'd much rather see a boardgame banner up there than anything else, as that's much more useful to y'all than some random, run-of-the-mill banner ad you see everywhere. In the end, please realize that we're constantly striving to deliver a good product to everyone, while still allowing Aldie (and more importantly his wife) sleep at night without worrying about the income stream that the site generates.


My only problem with the add is it has attacked me three times now when I tried to click on my profile. Now, I am too scared to go that high up on the page. The little bugger jumped out at me, and when I clicked close he just sat there....mocking me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.