Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the discussion thread!

If you're looking for the trade list, it's here.

If you're looking for the request list, it's here.

This is the place to let me know if you have any questions, concerns, gripes, or if you just want to discuss the trade.

This was originally listed as lowest shipping distance, but it turns out you can't really do that. See Jeff's post a little ways down for details about the change. Apologies if I got people's hopes up - I'm a little disappointed myself, but I find this metric intriguing too. I decided it would be better to leave the announcement thread wrong than to update it and notify however many hundreds of people are subscribed, so that's why that is still wrong, if you're just joining us from there.

After my last big trade, I learned that I don't have time to police them to the same level as I do my themed ones. That's a big reason the time frame is so short (to keep the number of items down), and I won't be reading through every single item asking for clarification about edition like I've done with trades I've run in the past. We shouldn't have too many shipping policy issues here, so I'll ask you all to be vigilant about items you're interested in (which is frankly a good idea anyway).

My one other request: if you have any hiccups with the trading process once the results are final, please try to work things out in private first before going to this thread. I've participated in dozens of math trades, and there have been very few actual issues that weren't caused by a simple mistake or miscommunication that was easily rectified via GeekMail.

Now that that's out of the way, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Discussion Thread for Lowest Shipping Distance U.S Math Trade
What are the rules regarding shipping distance and how is that supposed to work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea for an MT, and I enjoy some quick ones like this. This one doesn't fit my schedule, so I'll have to pass on it, but I will definitely take a look at how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
What are the rules regarding shipping distance and how is that supposed to work?
All the details are outlined along with the rules in the header of the main trade GeekList.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, just don't have time to get involved in this one. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua H
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, it works like this:
TradeMax finds the greatest number of trades.

Then, it iterates with a new randomizer, and finds another set of trades,which will have the same total trades, but possibly different specific trades. When it's hit the total number of iterations, it picks the one with the shortest total shipping distance (iirc, this includes gc/gg trades, although they usually don't involve an actual shipment).

This is the only step that's different from most math trades; normally you pick the iteration with the most users with a trade, here you pick on distance. In either case, the total number of trades is the same. A user may lose out on a trade, but a trade itself is never sacrificed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally add items through the OLWLG (which brings me back over to BGG). It doesn't appear the trade is showing up on the OLWLG yet, so I added them directly to the trade list using the "add item" feature. Just making sure this is correct/acceptable. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Viera
United States
Laguna Beach
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I want to participate but have never done a math trade before. I'm working on figuring out the olwlg but cannot find the correct math trade. Shouldn't it show up under "Other Active Shipping Math Trades?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it [the OLWLG] just hasn't populated yet (see my post above yours).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Viera
United States
Laguna Beach
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So if I add items manually through BGG it will eventually sync up with my OLWLG account?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TerminallyChill wrote:
So if I add items manually through BGG it will eventually sync up with my OLWLG account?
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this showing in the "Video Game" section and not the regular Board Game Trades Forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to folks for fielding questions!

LunarSoundDesign wrote:
This has mostly been covered, but just to be totally clear, there's no change on your end at all. It's just how the computer calculates that's different.

TerminallyChill wrote:
Shouldn't it show up under "Other Active Shipping Math Trades?"
Again, mostly covered, but just to hit one other detail: JeffyJeff adds the GeekLists to the OLWLG manually (I assume as a spam control measure of some sort). Since this went up at 1 AM our time, I'm not terribly surprised it's not up yet I'd expect it later this morning. That's part of why I don't have items listed myself yet; I want to list the ones I've listed before through the OLWLG.

weezknight wrote:
Why is this showing in the "Video Game" section and not the regular Board Game Trades Forum?
Because I did this at 1 AM and didn't think about being on VGG at that point I'll talk to Octavian about moving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like trying out the shortest shipping distance idea. Neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds I teresting. We are in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Thompson
United States
Norfolk
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Is it appropriate to add something like a $xx purchase on Steam (Not GC)?

Like any purchases totaling up to $xx sent via Steam gift or with the trade window?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outinthedark wrote:
Is it appropriate to add something like a $xx purchase on Steam (Not GC)?

Like any purchases totaling up to $xx sent via Steam gift or with the trade window?
That's fine - that's functionally equivalent to a GC. Thanks for asking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, I'm in! I'll add my items tonight. Due to the short timeframe, I don't expect to score any trades this time, but it sure will be fun trying

Thanks for running the math trade, Bird!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheng Lin
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
For some reason I can't find this math trade in OWLG. Is it just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iruul wrote:
For some reason I can't find this math trade in OWLG. Is it just me?
No, it's not just you. I've held off on adding anything for now for the same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's live in the OLWLG now! Thanks Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
First, A Note About The Metric:
Most math trades here use the USERS-TRADING metric, which means that, all other factors being equal, the software that creates the trade chains will favor an outcome that involves the highest number of users with at least one trade. This time, I'm using the Shipping Distance metric, which means that, all other factors being equal, the software will favor an outcome that involves the lowest total number of miles that the games travel. Please note that this is not a guarantee of low postage. I'm in New York, and if my shipping to California will enable a higher total number of trades, then I'm shipping to California. But, in general, it should help.
Ahhhh, "shipping distance" METRIC? The only shipping related METRIC I ever implemented was the COMBINE-SHIPPING METRIC (which has never been used I don't believe). As for Lowest Shipping Distance if you are trying to repeat my 2009 experiment...

Priority Shipping Distance - Experimental Continental USA Math Trade Discussion

That doesn't use a METRIC but uses PRIORITIES (explicit ones) with front end support from the OLWLG to assign those priorities (equal to the shipping distance for each edge/want) which depends on the math trade participants to have given the OLWLG their zipcode(s).

I considered the experiment a failure in that it was such a small reduction in the average shipping distance to be worth while... look a few replies down on that thread for the results when I back tested playing with various NONTRADE-COST's which does indeed reduce the average shipping distance... but at a cost in my humble opinion too large a reduction in the number of trades.

In any case if you are using a METRIC you should also be listing both the ITERATIONS and SEED you are going to be using in the name of transparency, as well as probably be listing explicitly the METRIC you are using such as:

METRIC=COMBINE-SHIPPING
ITERATIONS=200
SEED=1234567
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

Ahhhh, "shipping distance" METRIC? The only shipping related METRIC I ever implemented was the COMBINE-SHIPPING METRIC (which has never been used I don't believe). As for Lowest Shipping Distance if you are trying to repeat my 2009 experiment...

Priority Shipping Distance - Experimental Continental USA Math Trade Discussion

That doesn't use a METRIC...
blush

That's exactly the trade from the past I saw, and made an incorrect assumption that it used a metric.

Combine-shipping seems like it'll achieve a similar goal, so I'll shift to that.

JeffyJeff wrote:
In any case if you are using a METRIC you should also be listing both the ITERATIONS and SEED you are going to be using in the name of transparency, as well as probably be listing explicitly the METRIC you are using such as:

METRIC=COMBINE-SHIPPING
ITERATIONS=200
SEED=1234567
Does that go in %Options% in the header? I know that's documented somewhere (I've seen it before), but I didn't see it in the organizers wiki.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear: items added through the "add item" button in the trade geeklist itself are fine, and do not need to be modified or re-added through the OLWLG, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
furtherbum wrote:
Just to be clear: items added through the "add item" button in the trade geeklist itself are fine, and do not need to be modified or re-added through the OLWLG, correct?
Correct. Your item(s) will automatically appear in the OLWLG next time it's sync'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |