John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Reading FC fanMicrobadge: UK Games Expo attendeeMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan
Looking for an answer to this question, so cross-posting here:

In a recent game, I encountered and defeated a henchman at the Swallowtail Festival location. The location card reads:

Swallowtail Festival wrote:
When Closing
Defeat or acquire the next card in the deck. If there isn't one, you may close this location automatically.
When I revealed the next card, it was the villain. What should I do in this scenario?

1. Treat it as a villain. All other players may temporarily close locations, then I encounter the villain. If successful, the villain flees to another open location or I win, as appropriate. The location is (double!) closed.

2. Treat it as just another monster. I encounter the villain. If I succeed, the location is closed because I completed its requirement, but the villain does not flee. Because the location contains the villain, the location actually remains open and all non-villain cards are banished.

I ruled it as the second option in play, but in hindsight, the first one seems increasingly plausible, though I'm still not convinced which is right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: LibrarianMicrobadge: Military History buffMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
Option 1, I believe.

My rule of thumb is to always follow the card text, and the logical result would be what you describe in option 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Too Many Bones fanMicrobadge: Cloudspire fanMicrobadge: Lock 'n Load fanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Solitaire Gamer
This has been asked before. I believe Option 1 is correct, per the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Panamax fan
I would play option 1, since you are following the instructions on the card, and defeating the villain closes that location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: DoctorMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2019Microbadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fan
This strikes me as one of those "don't over think it" moments. You encounter the next card, the next card is the villain and treat it as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Reading FC fanMicrobadge: UK Games Expo attendeeMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan
Faded wrote:
This has been asked before. I believe Option 1 is correct, per the designer.
Can you point me towards the official answer if there is one?

spbtc wrote:
This strikes me as one of those "don't over think it" moments. You encounter the next card, the next card is the villain and treat it as such.
I agree. The fact that it doesn't specifically use the word "encounter" (when it absolutely could!) concerns me a little, but I think that the first one is the more intuitive solution and is how I'd play it in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: PhilosopherMicrobadge: PlatoMicrobadge: John LockeMicrobadge: Immanuel KantMicrobadge: Your Mom
wrote:
I agree. The fact that it doesn't specifically use the word "encounter" (when it absolutely could!) concerns me a little, but I think that the first one is the more intuitive solution and is how I'd play it in the future.
It does, however, use the word "Defeat" and it is not possible to defeat a card without encountering it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: CatholicMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: YooperMicrobadge: Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress fanMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game fan
Interesting.

My first thought was that #2 was correct because that's the way you would treat a summoned card. (Saw this somewhere. These rules threads are all becoming a blur.) But since it's defeating or acquiring the next card in the deck it could be argued that that's not quite the same philosophically speaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Microbadge: Fan of The Last Hundred YardsMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Pacific fanMicrobadge: Chad Jensen fanMicrobadge: In Memoriam: Chad Jensen
biglar155 wrote:
Interesting.

My first thought was that #2 was correct because that's the way you would treat a summoned card. (Saw this somewhere. These rules threads are all becoming a blur.) But since it's defeating or acquiring the next card in the deck it could be argued that that's not quite the same philosophically speaking.
The problem with this is that the card is not summoned, so it's not "not quite the same" it's entirely not at all the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls