Subject: Help cmontgo2 Beat the 100-Play Challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, all.

I've accepted a challenge at this geeklist to play 100 games in the GCACW. My entry is here. Because of my life arrangements, I have to play via PBEM/VASSAL. I'm looking forward to taking on new opponents.

Please check out my geeklist - I'm happy to take any/all comers. I will cap my games at 5 (or so) - but will happily rotate through opponents from game to game, if there's that much interest.

I don't mind teaching, but some teaching games don't count for my challenge.

If you help me with the challenge, here's what you will get:

1. You'll get a cool write up in my geeklist. Particularly good plays will be cross-posted to the relevant module's forums for general consumption. If you want to know what kind of AARs I write, take a look at this AAR from BAC. I'm not promising such an in depth report, but I'm no slacker.

2. You'll get full opportunity to leave some comments in my geeklist. I am hoping that my opponents will add to the discussion. Part of the 100-game challenge is to gain a greater appreciation for games by exploring them in depth. You can help with this by sending me some "formal" comments on our play, which I will post to your geeklist entry.

3. You'll also get the satisfaction of stomping me into the ground, most likely. In all the games I've played of the GCACW (about 12 or so), I only won once. So that should embolden you to take up the challenge.

4. You can win GG - if you'd like a friendly wager on our game, I'm in, but please don't take advantage of me if you're a BPA-nationally-ranked player.

Thanks to any and all who are interested. I'll be posting a similar request in the BAC forum, mainly because those are followed the most closely.

I am open to (and own) all the modules, but I do insist on using the most-recent version of the Series Rules.

Cheers!

Edit: added link to 100-Play Challenge Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished your exams, eh? I hope we may congratulate...

It's a big task ahead and I already stated that I'll help. Pick a module. SJWII is on its way and should arrive within the next couple of days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:

It's a big task ahead and I already stated that I'll help. Pick a module. SJWII is on its way and should arrive within the next couple of days...

When it gets there, let me know and we'll crank it up. It'll give me a little time to file the rust off the rules . . . it feels like a lot longer than 6 months!

I did *not* do well on the exam. But I'll have another chance in a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monty,...no, Montgo, it sounds highly interesting. GCACW series is on my all-time top ten list and I am not yet able to play it with an opponent, mainly because ACW is not something popular in Hong Kong (less than Napoleonics). I have played Battle above the Clouds over Vassal with a Hongkonger in Texas Utah before. Stonewall Jackson Way II is also fine and should have the latest series rules. I am not sure if I am familiar with the rules as much as you do. How frequent will you play the game with the files?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withers

California
msg tools
Nice AAR, I don't think I saw that when it first came out. Hope to see more from your 100 game challenge. Have fun!

BTW, you could enter the new GCACW pbem tourny just announced. You get several guaranteed games in the tourny, on different scenarios & different opponents. Costs $10 to join WBC though if you are not already a member.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
dasher47051 wrote:

When it gets there, let me know and we'll crank it up. It'll give me a little time to file the rust off the rules . . . it feels like a lot longer than 6 months!

Sorry to hear the bad news, especially the 'few years' part. That hurts...

The game must arrive any day now. My account has been charged yesterday. Luckily it seems that v1.1 and 1.2 of the series rules are pretty similar. Checking the pdf for the differences now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Monty,...no, Montgo, it sounds highly interesting. GCACW series is on my all-time top ten list and I am not yet able to play it with an opponent, mainly because ACW is not something popular in Hong Kong (less than Napoleonics). I have played Battle above the Clouds over Vassal with a Hongkonger in Texas Utah before. Stonewall Jackson Way II is also fine and should have the latest series rules. I am not sure if I am familiar with the rules as much as you do. How frequent will you play the game with the files?

We can play at whatever pace you'd like - life is life. But do request that anyone agreeing to play a game for my challenge be committed to finishing it. Since partial plays don't count, I'd really like to avoid them. So whatever pace we decide is fine. I'm usually good for a file/activation once a day, or once every two days. Sometimes if my opponent is returning them fast I can get multiple activations done in a day, but that's the exception, not the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisWithers wrote:
Nice AAR, I don't think I saw that when it first came out. Hope to see more from your 100 game challenge. Have fun!

BTW, you could enter the new GCACW pbem tourny just announced. You get several guaranteed games in the tourny, on different scenarios & different opponents. Costs $10 to join WBC though if you are not already a member.

Yes, I heard about it, and joined. I'm just doing it for fun, though - not really for the competition. It looks like there's quite a few GCACW sharks that partake in the tourney, so I'll play all the rounds and have fun trying to beat the best, losing, and upping my game little by little.

But I am in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:
The game must arrive any day now. My account has been charged yesterday. Luckily it seems that v1.1 and 1.2 of the series rules are pretty similar. Checking the pdf for the differences now...

The biggest differences that affect play in All Green Alike (AGA) are reduced command radii (reduced to 2) and reduced CSA movement modifiers (the CSA doesn't move as fast in AGA). The rest is more nuanced, but not that difficult. Looking forward to a play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hladik
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. That really stinks.

You can add me to your player list, but not too soon. I need to spend some time learning and I just got put on overtime at work (not gonna complain, because it is better than some of the alternatives that are going around).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmhladik wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. That really stinks.

You can add me to your player list, but not too soon. I need to spend some time learning and I just got put on overtime at work (not gonna complain, because it is better than some of the alternatives that are going around).

Let me know when you get some time! We'll start up a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - I just haven't had any games end recently. There was a long hiatus with the holidays, and a spell where I was procrastinating. But all my games are progressing at various stages, and I expect that a few of them will end at nearly the same time. If you subscribe to this page, you will certainly be updated when I post the AARs.

If you would like to be added to the list of "upcoming opponents" just let me know, and I'll send you a geekmail when I get to your name on the list.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind Sniper wrote:
Hello Chris,

yes I'm a new player and I'd like to join your challenge

Ale

I will put you on the list, and contact you when a spot opens. It may be a couple of months, but you *will* get a geekmail from me.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls