tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
My wife and I quite agree that Travel Blokus is a nasty little game.

One way you might address the stagnation issue is to experiment with your opening plays. Rather than playing aggressively to block your opponent's expansion, try yielding for the first few turns. Stay on your half of the board and concentrate on having the correct pieces available for a counter-invasion when room starts to run out.

She consistently whoops me using this style of play.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitas Povilaitis
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would change the second rule you mentioned from:

2. Your piece can ONLY touch another piece at a diagonal corner.

to:

2. Your piece can touch YOUR OWN pieces only at diagonal corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vitas wrote:
I would change the second rule you mentioned from:

2. Your piece can ONLY touch another piece at a diagonal corner.

to:

2. Your piece can touch YOUR OWN pieces only at diagonal corners.

Good catch--I made the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
That's funny. Played this with my girlfriend tonight. We played two games - one to get the hang of it - and the second game was surprisingly intense. After the game we laughed at how quick into learning this game we took the gloves off. On her third play she was coming right at me to cut me off. Haven't played it enough to see patterns - but we will be playing more. Good game.

We both enjoyed your review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
The first player advantage could be addressed by the usual methods:

A method I like from some other game (Hex, maybe): after the first player makes their first play, the second player chooses whether to swap places with the first player, or make their own first play.

Normally I play this with my 6-year-old, with a handicap (at the end of the game, he gets to ignore some number of his unplayed pieces), so I was glad to finally play this against an adult when visiting one of my brothers this weekend. First game, I won by a bit; second game (the one which counts), he delivered the worst beating I'd ever seen, even if he'd given me the same handicap I normally give the 6-year-old.

(So, as the older brother, naturally I was obligated to assert my dominance by flinging the board aside, pouncing on him, and giving him a wedgie, but it turns out that he's also grown stronger than I am. Oops.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.