Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: FAQ [+] [View All]
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
These are common questions for the game. I'll try my best to keep this thread updated.

What if you don't have exact change? Can you overpay?
If you do not have exact change to play a card, you must overpay. However, you cannot deliberately throw money away by overpaying. An example is if a player wanted to play a card with a cost of 3, but only had 2 silvers in hand. That player would have to discard both silvers to play the 3 costing card. However, if the player had a card with a cost of 1, that player could not deliberately discard 2 silvers to overpay for that card.

How does Buyback work?
During each player's end phase, they may pay the cost of a level 1 or higher CHARACTER to return that card from their discard pile to their hand. Players can buy back multiple character cards so long as they have the necessary treasure in hand to discard. Only Level 1 or higher character cards can be returned. Actions cannot be bought back, nor can special cards like the Thief's Smoke Bomb.

Smoke Bomb vs Captures: How does it work?
Smoke Bomb is a reactive card the Thief can use to negate a capture. When it is used against a Bloodhound or Patrol Officer, the Thief will not lose infamy and the City Watch will not draw treasure. Because the capture is negated, the bonuses will not be granted to the City Watch. Raiding Party will still cause an infamy point loss.

Search Warrant when the Thief has 0-1 Cards in Hand
When the Thief has no cards in hand, Search Warrant will do nothing and no City Watch Cards will be drawn. If the Thief has one card in hand, either the City watch captures the revealed character if able, or one City Watch Card is drawn. In other words, Search Warrant is a very bad card to play if the Thief has a small hand size.

Can Royal Decree be used as treasure to pay for cards?
Yes. Royal Decree is a treasure card that has 4 in value in addition to its discard ability at the end phase. This makes it arguably the best treasure card in the game, and only the City Watch can use it.

Security Tax on the turn it is played
Security Tax will have no effect on the costs of cards on the turn it is played. This is due to the Payment Phase occurring before the Effect Phase. By the time the Security Tax becomes active, the payment for cards for that turn has already occurred.

Black Market vs. Thief Characters
Black Market negates the effects of thieves, meaning the thief will not gain any infamy the turn after Black Market is played (when the effect is active).

Foxy Vixen vs. Black Market
If Foxy Vixen is played on the same turn as Black Market, the Merchant will still skip the next Draw Phase. The Thief will still draw a treasure card from the effect and gain infamy. This is because Foxy Vixen was played before Black Market became active.

Contraband Checkpoint vs. Played Treasure Cards
This negates the effects of Copper and Silver, which allow you to draw 1 and 2 treasure cards respectively if played as the card for turn. It then adds those cards to your hand, thus punishing players who played a Copper/Silver for the turn. It also negates the Thief's special treasure Fool's Gold.

Issue Bounty
If the Thief character chosen is the same card being played for that turn, the character will still have its effect and Thief will still gain any infamy related to that card's ability. Issue Bounty does not capture the character until after its ability has successfully resolved and is put into the discard pile.

Security Guard vs. City Watch Captures
If Security Guard is played the same turn as a level 1 or lower Thief character, but the character was also captured by a City Watch card played on that same turn, the Security Guard will grant no bonus and the Merchant will not draw the bonus cards. Turn order is City Watch > Merchant > Thief. Because the City Watch gets turn priority, its capture effect will resolve first, capturing and negating the Thief character. By the time the Merchant's Security Guard takes effect, there no longer is a Thief character to negate.

What is public information to all players?
Players have the right to examine each other's discard piles and request to know how many cards are in each player's hand. Although the latter won't be as big an issue, the former is very important, as players can examine the risks of discard pile interactions through cards or just buy backs. Players CANNOT count the number of cards remaining in any player's deck or treasure pile deck.

Win condition progress for the Thief and City Watch is public knowledge. All players know at all times what thieves are captured by the City Watch and how many infamy points the Thief has.

Looking in the treasure pile discard pile is a house rule. Generally, not allowing players to look in the treasure discard pile speeds up the game significantly, but for strategic reasons, a house rule can be imposed to allow players to do so.

How does the Merchant Win Condition work?
Unlike the other two factions, the Merchant progress towards their victory condition is secret. The only time players can get a glimpse at the Merchant progress is when a card effect forces the Merchant to reveal its hand.

During the Merchant End phase, if they have sufficient money in their hand to meet the current victory condition (11 + the total level of captured thieves), they simply reveal all the treasure in their hand and declare victory. A Treasure Map in hand counts as a 4 value treasure towards this victory condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Orangevale
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
This sort of support for the game made me confident enough to order the thing. Keep it up! I can't wait to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the support from everyone so far.

FAQ list updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Belmer
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this at bgg.con and was easily my fav game of the con. Great job matt!

Quick question: so all players cards are revealed simultaniously? This is how we played, which meant you always had to pay the cost of your card no matter what. But when i went back to reread rules, it seemed like folks reveal one at a time, so want sure.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Players reveal one at a time, but it's all during the same phase. So the City Watch would reveal the card, pay for it, then the Merchant would reveal a card, pay for it, then the Thief would reveal a card, and pay for it. That is all in the reveal/pay phase.

After that, the effects resolve in turn order: City Watch > Merchant > Thief.

Sorry for the late response. Been really busy post Thanksgiving.

Also, FAQ has been updated again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kartonis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does each buyback happen separately, or can you lump the costs together?

For instance, could I pay a gold (value 3) in order to take both a level 1 and a level 2 character card at the same time? Or would I need two separate treasure cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Two separate actions. You cannot use one large treasure to buy back two cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Paz
msg tools
Certain Heroes that can be revealed can be flipped over again if certain actions are taken. Can they be revealed again?

If a Hero does not have a "flip back" condition does that mean its ability permanent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
GForce4sa wrote:
Certain Heroes that can be revealed can be flipped over again if certain actions are taken. Can they be revealed again?

If a Hero does not have a "flip back" condition does that mean its ability permanent?

Yes to both questions. The exception are those that have an ability that triggers when you flip the card. Those are one time effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Paz
msg tools
Here's a few questions?

1. Do players draw in turn order or do they just draw at whatever speed they want. I'd imagine this would be very helpful in knowing who's pulling treasure and who's pulling other cards but i can slow the game down.

2. Do cost modifiers affect buy back costs. Ie does it cost more to buy back the politician if you have taxes in play. Meanwhile does the City Watches security tax affect the cost thieves being bought back.

3. When is the absolute latest can the thief player play their hero that removes one thief from jail? Is it too late once the end phase reaches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
1. Yes. Players draw in turn. Thieves have the information advantage since they decide their draw actions last. The decision making isn't that slow in the early game once you get used to the cards. The exception is near win moments. In those cases, slowing down the game is a good thing as you don't want people losing a game because they were rushed.
2. I'm pretty sure the Security tax only affects the cost of characters played from your hand. The tax card should specifically state "hand." Regarding Politician/Lobbyist, those buyback and play costs are affected by the ability written on the car as the cost modifier and are explicitly written on the card itself.
3. The Thief can reveal the hero during the end phase to gain the last infamy to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Matt_Ma wrote:
GForce4sa wrote:

Yes to both questions. The exception are those that have an ability that triggers when you flip the card. Those are one time effects.

I am not clear on this...

If the ability is permanent for heroes that do not have a "flip back" condition does this mean that the hero's action/power can be used once per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Bondgoldfinger wrote:
[q="D_Matt_Ma"][q="GForce4sa"]
I am not clear on this...

If the ability is permanent for heroes that do not have a "flip back" condition does this mean that the hero's action/power can be used once per turn?

It means the hero effect only happens one time. Some effects are too strong to repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
D_Matt_Ma wrote:
However, you cannot deliberately throw money away by overpaying.

Wait, so if I want to play a card costing 1 by discarding a Silver, do I have to reveal my hand to prove that I don't have any Copper or is it just an honor system thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dapperghast wrote:
Wait, so if I want to play a card costing 1 by discarding a Silver, do I have to reveal my hand to prove that I don't have any Copper or is it just an honor system thing?

Just an honour system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.