Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Controlling NPC Pirates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas DeSantis
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a player is trying to secure victory as an NPC pirate, is his goal to shoot the Player Captain, or to try and board in order to "plunder" the player's gold/cargo?

Why would a pirate want to just destroy a merchant ship without getting anything in return? I feel like the rule should be "If the non-pirate Player has Gold or Cargo, the NPC pirate will try to board when the right opportunity arises during battle, and if successful with crew combat, takes all cargo and gold away from the player. In this case, the Player captain would not die because the Pirates are not interested in killing unnecessarily, but instead want to plunder, but the Player Captain would be quite vulnerable without any crew. If the non-pirate player does not have Gold/Crew, then the NPC pirate tries to board, realizes there is nothing to plunder when successfully boarding, and then slays the Player Captain."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the main goal of a player controlling a NPC ship is to be efficient against the player opponent... Thematically you are right of course but in the end you want to win the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I like your idea a lot, but the more I thought about it the more I realize that Markus is right, the NPC pirate has to do whatever is in the worst interest of the player in terms of him winning the game.

If you want to think about it thematically, once the pirate has started ship combat with the player, he's not going to want to board unless he thinks he can win. If that situation arises, the player guiding the NPC will probably attempt to board. If the situation doesn't arise, the pirate must continue shooting, otherwise he will be sunk.

Here's a way you could change the game that might result in NPC pirates attempting to board more often. Make every NPC pirate cannon shot a grapeshot. That will also make the NPC pirates a lot more dangerous. If you feel the penalizes the merchant players too much, then let the naval ships shoot chain. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan is right that thematically the NPC Pirate would only board if he thinks he can win. Of course thematically that means the pirate would only engage in the first place if he thinks he could win, but that isn't how the game works.

But taking the gold/cargo and leaving the captain on an empty ship? That doesn't seem thematically likely either. A captured ship can be more valuable than a single load of cargo so would be kept if it is in good enough condition and can be crewed. A captain is a witness, and unlikely to join a pirate crew, so is more likely to be killed, but could also be held for ransom. (I think someone suggested a house rule for ransom of captured captains?)

I could see trying a house rule where in the first round of battle the merchant captain could instead of shooting, offer to surrender gold and cargo in return for safe passage of the ship, with no further damage. That was the whole reason for even having a pirate flag, to instill fear and try to encourage an early surrender, less risk for the pirate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeSantis
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. So an NPC pirate wants to shoot until he thinks he has a chance of boarding. That works for me. Now I can tell people who I play with that I am just trying to do what's in the best interest for everyone else playing, not for the NPC pirate. Thank you everyone for your responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasdc3po wrote:
Okay. So an NPC pirate wants to shoot until he thinks he has a chance of boarding. That works for me. Now I can tell people who I play with that I am just trying to do what's in the best interest for everyone else playing, not for the NPC pirate. Thank you everyone for your responses.
Yeah, the NPC pirate would rather get the booty than get nothing, but he's also going to want to survive the fight - either by sinking the enemy or by fleeing if necessary - so he's not going to board unless he thinks that's his best chance of victory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls