Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

My wife, kids, 600 boardgames, and I are moving to Richmond, VA this summer. I have been to One-Eyed Jacques, already. My questions are:

Any other quality stores?

Any active boardgame groups?

Any local conventions or gaming events?

Any help any Virginia residents can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am leaving a gaming scene I quite enjoy, in Cleveland, and would sure like to find some vibrancy in the hobby down south.

Thanks,

Christopher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the DC suburbs, so about an hour and a half north of you. PrezCon takes place every year in February in Charlottesville, not far from Richmond. Other than that I don't really know about the Richmond scene, but there's lots of stuff going on in and around DC, including a fabulous game store (The Game Parlor) in Woodbridge, VA. When you come up this way (as you should, just to visit DC), please GeekMail me and we can set up some gaming for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Moving to Richmond, Virginia - Stores and/or Game Groups
Well RavenCon http://www.ravencon.com/ is this weekend, and RioGrande is going to be there. MarsCon http://www.marscon.net/ in in January about an hour south in Williamsburg. The Board gaming is not large there, but I'm working on changing that.

I'm a member of a newish group in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area, who hold game days once a month, we can be found here: http://www.tidewaterstrategygroup.org/ . tpancoast both there and here on the 'Geek is a Richmond "native" and is working towards the formation of a group up there as well.

Welcome to the Commonwealth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Zamborsky
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cry This sucks Christopher...

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live there myself, and now am kicking myself for leaving. One Eyed Jacques ebay store is pretty great, you can get some great deals there (if you haven't already).

Also, a friend of mine in the Richmond area has a small gaming group (5-10 people) that gets together about once a month. If you want to geekmail me your info, I can put you in contact with him. They play mostly euros and I think some war.

They went to Prezcon and said it was a decent time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for your replies! And thanks for the welcome to the Commonwealth.

I know, Becky. I will miss you guys, too. A whole lot.

I appreciate all the information, and will almost certainly be making a trip to the Smithsonian one of my first forays away from Richmond. When I do, I will be checking out the game store, and I will certainly make contact with you all. Thanks for the offer.

As soon as I get settled this summer, I will post here and make contact with the local game groups as well.

In the meantime, it looks like this area is devoid of other game stores (sigh), but maybe someone else will come along with new info.

Keep posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Chris,

I grew up in Richmond and am now stationed just north in Quantico. One-Eyed Jacques is the only true game store I'm aware of, and has been for as long as I remember. I've only really been back in the area for less than a year, so something may have opened up. As you head north to visit D.C., you can hop off I-95 at exit 130A and check out Hobbies in Fredericksburg (where I live). It's a hobby store that sells games and not a game store, but they have a very good selection and one of the guys is pretty knowledgeable. Hop off 95 again at exit 143 and check out Comix in Stafford. They're a comics shop that sells games, but they have a decent selection. Especially if you are into the collectible side (CCGs and Miniatures). Unfortunately, that's all I know of in the area.

I have a group I game with monthly (3 months in Richmond, one month in F'Burg). We mostly du strategic level wargames and empire games (Game of Thrones, Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed, Attack!, etc) but we occasionly blay a few change of pace games (Battle Cry, M '44, Arkham Horror, Betrayal at House on the Hill, etc.) Feel free to send me a geekmail (which I haven't figured out yet) if you want to get with the group or need info on anything else.

Good luck with the move. I always liked Richmond and have missed it the 10+ years I've been away. I hope you enjoy the town.

Oh yeah, I was born in Cleveland (moved when I was seven). Go Tribe!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Christopher! Remember me? I stopped by your booth at Origins to say "Hi".

cc_TheToph wrote:
Any other quality stores?

Nope that's it... There was a damn fine store in Tidewater (~2 hours away) and there are some good stores in DC (also ~2, but One-Eyed-Jacques is it in Richmond. Its pretty small, but under the circumstances, I'm happy to have it.

cc_TheToph wrote:
Any active boardgame groups?

No... Yes... Maybe...

No) I've been board gaming weekly with immediate friends in the area for almost three years and until recently it has felt like we were all alone (from my limited perspective).

Yes) The good news is that some of the isolated pockets of gaming in the area have recently found each other. I think Kevin Warrender above is talking about Park's group. I started a small informal mailing list for initial introductions and just last week created a new Richmond Boardgamers Yahoo group:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/RichmondBoardgamers/

(Anyone else reading this thread in Richmond should head on over!)

As you can probably tell from the other responses, you will also be surrounded by some very nice board game groups, if you are willing to drive.

Maybe) There is a mysterious (to me at least) game group called Richmond Area Game Enthusiasts (R.A.G.E.). I met some of them at a local convention, got an e-mail address, asked for information, and after one cryptic message never heard back from them. I wasn't quite sure what to make of the situation.

Well, in a bizarre coincidence, given that boardgaming has only started to reach critical mass in the last couple weeks, I ran into the R.A.G.E. guy I sent the e-mail to just a couple days ago. Not only did he remember me, but he recognized me first.

He has also joined the above Yahoo group, and R.A.G.E. is having an all-day board gaming event in a couple weeks. Apparently any theories I had about their inactivity and stagnation were hogwash. They are bothering to rent a clubhouse, so they have to be a decent sized group, they just apparently aren't very vocal online. I am still not quite sure what to make of it, but it is promising.

cc_TheToph wrote:
Any local conventions or gaming events?

Previous posters mentioned PrezCon which is about 1-1.5 hours away. If you consider a 3 hour drive to be local, then both EuroQuest and GCOM Game Days are excellent cons within reasonable driving distance.

I would tell you more about RavenCon, but I don't know anything more. Its the first year, but having Rio Grande there is promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yu
United States
Somerville, NJ
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I just moved to Richmond too and would love to get back into some gaming. Please pass along any other information you gathered about the Richmond gaming scene. I haven't got a chance to check out One-Eye Jack yet, but hopefully soon. UVa (about a hour west of richmond) used to have a boardgame/wargame club (I graduated there about 6 years ago), not sure it is still around anymore. It was mostly grad students and staff and has about 10 to 15 people every Friday night. You can send me email at JohnYu_UVa@hotmail.com.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Moving to Richmond, Virginia - Stores and/or Game Groups
I am from Richmond as well and now live up here in the DC area. One-Eyed Jacques I think is the only remaining gaming store left in Richmond. I personally have done business there (even now that I live up here) for several years now. There used to be others when I was in HS and College, but that was more moons ago than I like to remember (ahh the fond memories of High Command which catered a slightly different audience than 1-IdJ).

Anyway, welcome to the best state in the union!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prezcon is in Charlottesville in February;

http://WWW.prezcon.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Whatever you do will be insignificent. But it is very important that you do it.
badge
This BGG avatar is limited to the explicit use of Quaseymoto and all others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update to this, since these posts are a bit outdated.
(repeated on all 4 Richmond, VA links on FLGS US tabs)

I moved to the Richmond area 3 years ago, and here's what I've found as far as gaming stores go. These are sorted by distance from center of Richmond.

One Eyed Jacques - 3104 W Cary St Richmond, VA 23221 (3.6 miles from center)
Still opened. I find it a bit uninviting as far as hanging out or events, not a Magic Den but still some LGS problems. They have a very good collection of games, about 10 tables to play on. Biggest pro in my eyes is the Scratch & Dent section, which offers new, damaged games at 50% off (sometimes as little as a small corner dent).

FTW Games - 13176 Midlothian Turnpike Midlothian, VA 23113 (13.8 miles from center, W-SW)
I have not spent time here but I hear it's a great place for Warhammer and other wargames, as well as bigger, heavier games. No clue on selection.

Dragon's Den - 4336 Pouncey Tract Rd, Glen Allen, VA 23060 (15.9 miles from center, in Short Pump)
This gets my recommendation. They are a bit smaller than the other 2, offering only about 6 tables, but I feel they make up for it significantly with their friendly, customer oriented attitude. The store always appears clean. There selection is a bit smaller than above (and no scratch and dent ) but they stock new titles and have a good special order policy.
Biggest pro for me is the demo section. They offer a large library of games that can be played at the store for free or rented for like $7, and if you decide to buy the cost comes off the final price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One quick note -

After seven years in Richmond my family and I moved to Atlanta last August. The one place I miss, gaming-wise, more than any other is One-Eyed Jacques. There's nothing like it anywhere I have been. The deals are INCREDIBLE, and I always had great experiences with the staff.

I still hit their e-Bay page every week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Wesley
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the Richmond scene like these days? My family is most likely moving there some time in the summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited there about a month ago, and the scene was still very, very strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richmond is great . One thing to check out is meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/Richmond-Board-Game-Meetup-Group/). Within that meetup link, several groups play... some at microbreweries. Check out the pictures to see what people are playing. With some groups, they tend to play lighter/social games. Other groups (like the one at Triple Crossings) will play heavier games quite frequently. And of course, a lot of gamers meet up at people's homes... but the meetup groups are a great way to connect with others. Also... the number of people that "RSVP" to those groups tend to be much lower than the numbers that actually show up.

Spring 2016 Dollarcon is coming up (https://www.facebook.com/DollarCon/?ref=hl). It's a great small local convention... and quite affordable. And like others have mentioned, there are conventions not too far (Prezcon and Euroquest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
I used to live there myself, and now am kicking myself for leaving. One Eyed Jacques ebay store is pretty great, you can get some great deals there (if you haven't already).

Also, a friend of mine in the Richmond area has a small gaming group (5-10 people) that gets together about once a month. If you want to geekmail me your info, I can put you in contact with him. They play mostly euros and I think some war.

I've been to One-Eyed Jacques and it's a great store in Carytown. While you're there you can find a lot of great laces to eat, too, like the Galaxy Diner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Charbonneau
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
jerkules wrote:

I've been to One-Eyed Jacques and it's a great store in Carytown. While you're there you can find a lot of great laces to eat, too, like the Galaxy Diner Don't Look Back!

IFYP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls