Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished being part of the first demo game at BGG Con 2013 and I have to say 'wow'.

The ships are gorgeous but we knew that.

The engine is based on the hugely popular Wings of Glory system (of which I will be flying the new WW2 fighters tonight at the con), so I thought I would 'like' SoG since I'm such a fan of WoG.

But what surprised me is how clean the system is and how the 'chrome' is so easy to integrate into the basic game. Maybe it's just me, but I find some of the chrome detail options in SoG much easier to implement than the chrome in WoG. The additional rules really dont add much clutter at all.

The whole game plays so smoothly and thanks to a great fellow named Dean Sestak, we had a tremendous game. Dean demo'd the game at Gencon for Ares and was really helpful.

I have some pics to add but I will say this is a game that you should not get too comfortable with your ships in. They tend to go down quickly!

We had six ships on the board, 2 frigates and on one man of war for both sides. While the Brits had the only loss ( a frigate), most of the other ships didn't have any fight left in them. The French MoW was the biggest bully in town today so we generally ran away with our bloody noses, hoping to escape before he gunned us all down.
Still, this game is a lot of fun. We had a lot of foot traffic with folks who missed out on kickstarter and asked about when it would be available to regular folks. There was a lot of interest here as you might expect and thanks to Ares for getting this advanced copy here in time to showcase it at BGG Con.

Bottom line, I was really not that much of a fan of the Napoleonic age of sail period. One game into Sails of Glory and I am no longer on the fence. We have another winner from Ares here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
That is great to hear. I had planned to back, then backed off, fearing the drawbag system would hurt the game's elegance and prove clumsy. I love age of sail games though so I may have to reconsider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was an early backer...based solely on a familiarity with the Wings of War/Wings of Glory WWI game and am really looking forward to this new game...thanks for the report...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report, Steve! Glad to hear everyone is having a great time with the game. Get your photos posted soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the scouting report. I'm invested pretty heavily in the KS and extras and it's good to hear that it will be worth the buy-in.

Was also glad to read a while back that War of 1812 vessels will be coming, down the way . . . so my Constitution will have something to shoot at (and be chased by). Excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add some more substance to the report as soon as I catch up on sleep.

What struck me as so profound is how differently the game plays than Wings of Glory. It is not simply a retread of that great series, it really captures a nice feeling for sailing ships. Yes, you plan your maneuvers using cards and move your ship on the arrow of your card. But it has a nice period feel without bogging down.

We played with the 'plan two cards at one' method and you could see the light coming on as folks started figuring out how to maneuver their ships--which is why we are so close in some of the pics!

Ares has another wonderful and beautiful addition to their game line up with Sails of Glory and you kickstarter backers will not be disappointed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
fearing the drawbag system would hurt the game's elegance and prove clumsy.

Speak English!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bloom
United States
Haughton
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve for getting the game and setting up for the Con. Loved the game! Once more bitten by miniatures!

My only critique is the the playing mat. Although it's beautifully designed with the "navigational" lines, I thought it was too small to allow maneuvering before running off the mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
freebird52 wrote:
Thanks Steve for getting the game and setting up for the Con. Loved the game! Once more bitten by miniatures!

My only critique is the the playing mat. Although it's beautifully designed with the "navigational" lines, I thought it was too small to allow maneuvering before running off the mat.

Yes, I too thought that the game mat seemed on the small side for the number of ships involved (at least by looking at the pics). If you added coasts, islands, reefs, etc. It would be a real nightmare...but you can always add an extra map or two...or play on the floor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bloom
United States
Haughton
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a retired aviator, I remember using Tactical Pilot Charts (TPCs) to fly low level. So I was thinking why not use a TPC that is over the water but close to the land/coastline!

Those TPCs have navigational lines to help when using that attitude indicator to assess the windage.

It would be interseting to see if they would work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option for a playing surface is GripMats. Although they might prove troublesome with the maneuver cards. They are in a Kickstarter campaign until January 8, 2014. They are advertising a wave pattern background and the option of a square grid (among others).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.