Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] germany [+] [View All]
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to Germany next month, and while I'm there I hope to pick up Himalaya, which has become very hard to find here ... are there any other games that are OOP stateside that I should make sure I get while I'm in Deutschland?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Himalaya...I love it. Now I want the 5-6 player expansion. It doesn't play that great with 3, so I'm afraid it won't get as much playtime if I am always hoping to have exactly the sweet spot of 4 players.

So if you see the expansion (is it out???), I would suggest that too, unless you know you usually have 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in La Citta, the German edition is still available... I'm sure that I could think of others, given some time... You might also check out the list of German titles going out of print on BoardGameNews (actually Spielbox, if memory serves).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fanaka66 wrote:
I just got Himalaya...I love it. Now I want the 5-6 player expansion. It doesn't play that great with 3, so I'm afraid it won't get as much playtime if I am always hoping to have exactly the sweet spot of 4 players.

Michael ... where did you get Himalaya?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
robbydee wrote:
fanaka66 wrote:

Michael ... where did you get Himalaya?
I got it from templar in the marketplace:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewitem&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kupferkessel Co ist teh vinnah thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Himalaya, Pompeji, Wallenstein and pick up a copy of Die Macher for me, will you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher is due to be repubbed by Valley Games. Pre-order is $35.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't El Grande also supposed to be republished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
Himalaya, Pompeji, Wallenstein and pick up a copy of Die Macher for me, will you?
Wallenstein is available in Germany?

(I'll be in Munich most of the time ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcubalista wrote:
The question is also where to buy. Where are you going in Germany? BTW there's more going on here than Schnitzel and Brezeln (as they're called in Germany).
Elke ... Where are the best/cheapest places to get games in Munich?

(By the way, I've never had Schnitzel in Germany, only Austria. Is it a big deal in Germany?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubongo? We really like it and it's often impossible to find here, but I suspect it's a really YMMV kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Maywalt
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Me too... me too!

I too am headed to Germany next month and was contemplating the exact same thing. What should I be looking for? I'm sure there are some new releases, out of print in the US, or just plane great games to be had while I'm there. So where do I start? and what should I be looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Antike available in Germany? I'll be going to Germany too, and I'd like to get this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on what your preference in boardgaming is.
Give us some more hints on what you like and then we could recommend better
Otherwise the german game of the year award is usually a good hint (Spiel des Jahres 200x or similar) if a game was awarded you will also find the "Spiel des Jahres" logo on the box.

Also, which cities in germany are you going to visit?

I would recommend to not only look in the big general stores, but also have a look for smaller shops specialized in "board"gaming, you will usually find a better collection of boardgames there.

cheers
Marco

EDIT here you see how the logo looks like and a database with all the awards:
http://www.spieldesjahres.de/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to be there long enough to have something delivered to your lodgings from within Germany, try to get a copy of "Abusir." According to a German contact it's a challenge to get ahold of them and it's only available by order from the source (perhaps you'd be close enough to meet for one) but check it out on BGG, it looks fascinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bauer
Germany
Essen
Rhine Province / Prussia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Rob!

Where are you gonna go in Germany?

Where I live, we´ve got the best store for consims, role-games and so on.He´s got more than 20000 games for sale. www.fanen.com

It´s in Essen, in the west of Germany, 25km from the Düsseldorf airport.

You can contact him (he speaks english) by phone: +49-201-786877 or send him a mail: fanen@fanen.com

By the way, he sells Himalaya for 14,00€

Best luck for your voyage to Germany, cheers, yours, Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Maywalt
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok so sorry to leech onto this post but I really feel like I have a unique (for me) opportunity right now. So I will be a little more specific.

I'm headed to Europe for a little over a week next month and have recently gotten into boardgaming and am excited at the prospect of picking up some interesting yet hard to find (in the US) games.

So, I am flying into Nuremberg, and spending a few days in Bayreuth, then driving across southern Germany to Lyone France. The bonus is that my Mother and Father-inlaw are living in Bayreuth for a year. So I will be visiting with them, and as Barry noted I do have the possibility of having some games delivered to them that I could then simply pick up while visiting.

I looked into Abusir and now realize that the publisher also sells a number of games (http://www.spielteufel-stuttgart.de/downloads/preisliste0406...) and that I could have an order delivered to my family and then pick them up when I get there. Thanks Barry.

Other than that I was more curious what titles would be worth picking up in Germany because they are either hard to find in the US or not in print yet here. Feel free to look at my BIO (as sparce as it is, the few games I own represent the few of hundreds I have played that I feel are good enough to own, Reef encounter and Citadels are the favorites that I own now).

Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
Ubongo? We really like it and it's often impossible to find here, but I suspect it's a really YMMV kind of game.
I got my copy from Game Surplus a few weeks ago. They still have more in stock.

http://www.gamesurplus.com/site/product.cfm?id=B3E9BFC8-CDA8...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbydee wrote:
futhee wrote:
Wallenstein is available in Germany?

(I'll be in Munich most of the time ...)
I got my copy from a German retailer on ebay. I've been told copies can still be found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in Munich ... what are the best game stores there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamison creel
Israel
Jerusalem
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a few that are either more easily available or cheaper in Germany.
Thurn and Taxis (will be here soon but why wait?)
Aquadukt
Der Untergang von Pompeji
Himalaya and expansion
Kreta
Das Ende des Triumvirats
Wallenstein (if you can still find it)
Capitol (if you can still find it)

Also little card games like Jericho, Meuterer, and Schotten Totten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm trying to compile a geeklist of games that make for good souveniers so I figured your post would be a good place for a shameless plug. blush

It's The Ultimate Souvenier Game List
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Now to provide some help: I've never actually "seen" Wallenstein here, but there's usually one or two copies posted on ebay.de each week if you're willing to part with up to 50 euro. Same goes for Die Macher only less frequently and more money.

If you're willing to pay a couple of euro more amazon.de could ship a game to your hotel in as little as two to three days. I've found the other online retailers to have very speedy service as well. If there is a game you absolutely must have I would suggest having it delivered as sometimes the gamestores can be hit or miss for what's stock. Maybe you could have a store hold a purchase for you in advance although I've never tried it. Dos Rios looks like fun, is on my radar, and I think it's on the list of soon-to-be-OOP.

I hope this helps, and have a great trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamison creel
Israel
Jerusalem
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another quick note: If you are going to the Munich area for touristic reasons I have to make a couple of suggestions. 1) Be sure to go to Neuschwanstein. I know that it is heavily touristed but in the case of this sight I think it is deserved. The view from the bridge up above it is amazing. If you rent a car you can make a day of it and stop at Linderhoff on the way. 2)Take a day and go to Berchtesgaden (sp?). If you like WWII history go to the Eagle's Nest. It's pretty weird to see pictures of Hitler standind right where you are. Also the Konigsee is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Take the boat around and get off and hike a bit. 3) In Munich go to the train station. There is a little office called Euraid. Go to the Euraid office and buy a ticket for the "Mike's Bikes" tour. The tour is great fun. There is a bit of Earthy humor so I wouldn't bring the kids but it's four hours of fun with lunch at the Chinese beer garden in the middle. You'll love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls