Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have no interest in collecting games; I just want to play them, and the ridiculous size of the OGRE DE box interferes with that. These are notes on how I turned this:

Hey, rvrratt, hold this for a second, will you?

into this, which holds everything you need for all the classic Ogre and GEV scenarios:

To begin with, I don't need any of the stand-up cardboard Ogres/buildings/etc.; if the black & white silhouette of an Ogre on a square counter isn't enough to make you break out in a cold sweat, then get off my lawn. (When I was your age, we had square counters, and we liked them.) All I want are:
- the maps
- the rulebooks & player aids
- classic counters in a Plano box or counter trays
- terrain overlays

And I want it in a "normal" box, the same size as my other wargames, something I can carry to game night or store on my shelf without having to build an addition to house it.

The first problem became apparent as soon as I stacked up the mounted mapboards. There are so many of them that it's not possible to fit all those boards into a normal box; the stack of maps alone is 5.5" thick!

So, the plan changed to two normal boxes: one with the stuff needed for playing OGRE and GEV (those maps, rulebooks, counters, and maybe the destroyed towns/rubble terrain overlays), the other with "extras"--the Shockwave maps and the rest of the terrain overlays. That should enable me to end up with two normal boxes, each 4-5" deep--still pretty ridiculous, but manageable.

For counters, I was able to fit one set into three Chessex counter trays; see the comments on this image for notes:

(I expect there's a single Plano box which would work just as well, but the counter trays I had on hand worked well enough, so I didn't look any farther.)

I decided I did want to include the destroyed towns/rubble terrain overlays in the first box, at the bottom of the box underneath the maps, so the first step was to lay those out. By stacking them 3 deep, they still fit within the footprint of a normal box, and came out about the same thickness as some 3/16" foam board I had left over from another project (Tim Taylor's To The Last Man!, before it was published by Nuts! Publishing):

Once that was done, here's the stack of stuff which is going to go in the box:

I glued several more layers of foam board (and one layer of cardboard to get the right thickness) to make the insert which would keep the GEV boards from sliding around--they're smaller, so they go under the Ogre boards. (There's a picture of that below in the un-boxing.) Sandwiching several weird layers together is not as good as carving it from a single thick piece (and the foam board is not the best material anyway), but it was free.

Once I was done goofing around with the insert, it was time to do what could not be undone:

(That corner of my box was the most damaged during shipping, but it's the one which has my name on it.)

Here's the box bottom, cut all the way out:

Gluing the insert into the bottom of the box (here you can see the sandwiched layers of foam board):

(The butter knife is for scoring the cardboard before folding it.)

Then I taped the corners together with clear packing tape.

You can see that, folding the thick cardboard, the outer paper tore along the fold; after this picture, I scribbled it in with a permanent marker and then taped over that too.

Then, on to the front!

"You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us."

Score, fold, and tape it, and we're where we want to be:

(Just as on the box bottom, the paper tore along the long fold, so again, I scribbled it in with red & yellow markers and taped over it.)

And now... start the music.

Removing the lid:

Removing the rulebook & player aids, etc., revealing the counter trays:

Removing the counter trays & dice, revealing the Ogre maps:

Removing the Ogre maps, revealing the GEV maps:

Removing the first GEV map, revealing the second GEV map:

Removing the second GEV map, revealing the terrain overlays (the empty hex in the center is how you get them out):

And finally, on the shelf!

(Thanks again, Santa Grogs, for PQ-17 and Caesar's Gallic War!)

I haven't started on the second box yet. (And, rather than the bottom being a single piece & the top being a second single piece, I may have to tape one or two sides on separately.)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
Hah! You sir, are a nut. But I like you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I commend your innovation, Sir! Even as I shudder in horror at the vivisection of the hapless box! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000 years from now, historians will debate the significance of "GRE: Gner's Edition."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
You cut through my name, didn't you? Didn't you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
A wonderful lesson of how form should follow function. Nice work on your practical storage solution project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only they had sold a version with just those classic square counters and maps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
"OGI" sounds like a hand management card game from Japan with chibi artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
If only they had sold a version with just those classic square counters and maps...

...then all those weirdos who got excited about chunky multi-hex Ogres wouldn't have subsidized the version I wanted, ha ha. It took a little extra work, but what I have now is exactly what I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's Mueller Time
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You, sir, are a genius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what, you just made an oversized Ogre Pocket Edition? devil

Remarkable work. I certainly could never bring myself to do it, even though I completely agree about the impracticality of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
So, what, you just made an oversized Ogre Pocket Edition? devil

Remarkable work. I certainly could never bring myself to do it, even though I completely agree about the impracticality of the box.

I will be buying extra map sheets so I can have something pretty close to this ready to go at all times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up buying a couple of plastic tubs from Target to much the same effect. I've thought about doing this too though, but the wife loves the 3d counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But if you're going to hold this in front of you, naked, by the shower, I think we would all prefer the original box size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, a very interesting solution, and it looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
russ wrote:

...then all those weirdos who got excited about chunky multi-hex Ogres wouldn't have subsidized the version I wanted, ha ha. It took a little extra work, but what I have now is exactly what I want.

I don't know that I could ever bring myself to destroy the box that way, but it does make me think of some less destructive ways to accomplish the same thing. Hopefully there will be enough interest for SJGames to produce something similar that fills the gap between the baggie and the footlocker that kids just starting out could actually ask for and be reasonably expected to receive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!

However:
kuhrusty wrote:
(The butter knife is for scoring the cardboard before folding it.)

I always cut with the cutting knife prior to folding. It makes it WAY easier, and instead of a "ripped" looking fold, you get a clean cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
I don't know that I could ever bring myself to destroy the box that way, but it does make me think of some less destructive ways to accomplish the same thing. Hopefully there will be enough interest for SJGames to produce something similar that fills the gap between the baggie and the footlocker that kids just starting out could actually ask for and be reasonably expected to receive.

Just take ANY game box that will fit the components and cut it.

Or make one yourself. For something that big, you'll need 2mm cardboard. Measure what bottom you will have, how thick the box must be, and then cut out that silhouette on the cardboard sheet.

The lid will need to be about 5–6mm wider than the bottom. 4 mm because the thickness of the cardboard is 2mm, and the extra mms as a margin (also, if you want to cover it with some cover art, the paper + glue does take up some space, so 6mm is probably the way to go).

If you want to decorate the box with art, you need to print it out of course, but the hardest is probably to get the file. If you manage to do that, then just print it out, and glue it onto the box. I've found that when gluing paper to a box, normal wood glue is perfect: use a lot less glue than you think. Pour out some, then smear it out with your fingers and put the paper there.

I've done this for a lot of games, albeit smaller boxes.

All you need is:
cardboard
cutter knife
tape
(option: printer to print the cover art, and some normal glue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffr0 wrote:
1000 years from now, historians will debate the significance of "GRE: Gner's Edition."

OK, this just made me giggle at work. Stop it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffr0 wrote:

Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming; he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
badge
They both played with yellow, the color of the sun, of bananas, a certain flower, happy faces; yellow, the color of liver failure, of pus, a hobo’s tooth, cowardice.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like flipping the W on the Great Wall of China!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

(Thanks again, Santa Grogs, for PQ-17 and Caesar's Gallic War!)

My SG got me CGW as well! Great minds and tastes good sir!

Excellent work on that monster of a box as well, thats really neat. You are incredibly handy, I dont care what your wife says about your various home improvement projects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean King
United States
Stevenson
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Northern Gamer Archeology
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo now a print run of 11,999.....

It's a shame.

You could of just got the extra set of maps when you got the basic counters....it would of been cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thenorthman wrote:

It's a shame.

You could of just got the extra set of maps when you got the basic counters....it would of been cheaper.

You're missing the inherent value of thumbing your nose at the "Homer Car" type development approach.

"I want you to call me right back, Phil, and say the exact opposite of everything you just said."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
thenorthman wrote:

It's a shame.

I applaud the solution. Not only is it infinitely more practical, he now has a SUPER RARE copy of "GRE: Gner's Edition." Print run of 1...
Now I kinda wish I'd pre-ordered that one. Finding it on the secondary market is going to be a total b!tch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.