Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: OGRE DE in a normal-sized box! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmbmbmb
thenorthman wrote:
Soooo now a print run of 11,999.....

It's a shame.

You could of just got the extra set of maps when you got the basic counters....it would of been cheaper.

I'd be willing to bet that somewhere down the line (and probably not that far into the future) he'll be able to see what he isn't using and make all his money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally on this wave length too. I've been making plans to rework my Ogre into a bookshelf edition as well. Not ready to show it yet, but I applaud your success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on there are no BGG.CON bracelets visible in those pics. That's not Rusty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thenorthman wrote:

It's a shame.

You could HAVE just got the extra set of maps when you got the basic counters....it would HAVE been cheaper.

Fixed for you. As much as his wanton destruction bugs you, so does wanton negligence for grammar drive me batty. Sorry. Pet peeve...

That being said, I'm not even sure that the sentence I just wrote is grammatically correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
thenorthman wrote:

It's a shame.

Yes, and the value of the 11,999 just went up-- not that I'd ever sell mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
SBGrad wrote:

Yes, and the value of the 11,999 just went up-- not that I'd ever sell mine.

I still have my original Ogre and GEV, and Alert Force. The three first hex games I've ever played(and bought).

So this one is definitely safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive bit of Do It Yourself!

The box shape and size really is the achilles heel of this edition of the game. The number of folks who have a game shelf that will properly store this is a handful at best. This will unfortunately send a lot of these to closets and other stashes/corners. Too bad, it really is a nice edition and deserves a spot on my game shelves.

Now if there was a way to make a FFG coffin shaped box, that would find shelf space and be displayed proudly. The other way I might go is hang it on the wall in the Ogre carry bag, much like a Crokinole Board. Though I worry about long term sideways storage.

Good thing I have a large deep closet.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:
Though I worry about long term sideways storage.

I worry about your wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Best part of this article was recognizing good taste in games with Sekigahara on the shelf.

OGRE is ok too, I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inky Witch wrote:
Best part of this article was recognizing good taste in games with Sekigahara on the shelf.

He even has the complete works of William Shakespeare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
Inky Witch wrote:

He was just showing off at that point. He isnt as cultured as he portrays himself to be. He rates wiz war highly afterall. :3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Inky Witch wrote:
russ wrote:

He was just showing off at that point. He isnt as cultured as he portrays himself to be.

Sorry to disappoint, but yeah, most of my larger books just house my sweatshop of tiny children who clip my counters.

(Happy, Karlsen?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Looks like she got in a clip on the boss man as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Oh! That's how you get the Ogre Designer Edition into a normal-sized box! Remove everything.

It seems so simple now that you mention it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

(Happy, Karlsen?)

Yes, my faith in reality has been restored cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Migliore
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ach du lieber Gott!! gulp

Excellent job but cringe worthy nonetheless.

+1 for the storage of corner clipping children hidden in the books... perhaps you can make a communal building for them out of the box remnants.

What is that saying about when UPS gives you dented boxes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having seen, as another poster pointed out, that you now have a SUPER RARE copy of "GRE: Gner's Edition....

I just want to point out, that you could have simply scanned the artwork, scaled it to your liking, and put it on a plain box from any art or office supply store for about $0.20.

But hey, fracking up a $150 box is cool too...I will assume the cut part removed my ex's name from the list, and kept mine on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Black Omega wrote:
you could have simply scanned the artwork, scaled it to your liking, and put it on a plain box from any art or office supply store for about $0.20.

Err... what would I have done with the big dumb empty box? I don't need it; by your figures, it sounds like I came out 20 cents ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Omega wrote:
you could have simply scanned the artwork, scaled it to your liking, and put it on a plain box from any art or office supply store for about $0.20.

Boxes for 20 cents? Gief!

The only plain boxes you can have here are cube-sized present boxes with much to small lids, costing some $6 each. -_-;

I end up having to make tons of own boxes for all those card games that come in small tuck-boxes and which cards I have to sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Migliore
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Black Omega wrote:

Err... what would I have done with the big dumb empty box? I don't need it; by your figures, it sounds like I came out 20 cents ahead.

Geeez .20 cents... what about your sweatshop of tiny children! Surely you could have delegated the fabrication of this box to them. Perhaps there is a business opportunity here to perform this for other BGGers at a reasonable profit.

On similar lines, kuhrusty we have witnessed you taking a giant box and turning it into a regular sized box to fit on the shelf... can you perform a similar miracle and make my Tunisia OCS box bigger... can't fit my three counter trays and the FAQs, rules, maps, and updates into that skinny box. Any suggestions? Corners are already clipped (alas not by a sweatshop of tiny children).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
landru wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Black Omega wrote:

Geeez .20 cents... what about your sweatshop of tiny children! Surely you could have delegated the fabrication of this box to them. Perhaps there is a business opportunity here to perform this for other BGGers at a reasonable profit.

On similar lines, kuhrusty we have witnessed you taking a giant box and turning it into a regular sized box to fit on the shelf... can you perform a similar miracle and make my Tunisia OCS box bigger... can't fit my three counter trays and the FAQs, rules, maps, and updates into that skinny box. Any suggestions? Corners are already clipped (alas not by a sweatshop of tiny children).

I have SEVERAL Ideas for the "Big dumb empty box"...

BEGINblankTHEblankLIST:k!:

---

Do the eBay Scam thing (For laughs, of course), get the $3 pocket edition, put it in the BIG box, wrap it for a gift...send it to a Frienemy.

If you are really mean, weight it down with bricks of crappy old out of print CCGs first.

---

Use it to ship me all the storage tray plastic that was supposed to be in the game to ME! (Seriously, if you kept that stuff, I would like it...)

---

Build the Large Sized OGRE from the Downloadable PDF, store it in the large box.

---

Put lots of little soft toys and giant squishy dice in it, give it to some newborn baby as their first Grognard game (Include a copy of ToyWars, and of course, Ogre Pocket...laugh)

---

Store every single MetaGaming/SJG game you have in it.

---

Laminate the thing, put in thin panels of some structural material (Lucite, pressboard, etc), Hinge it, and put a handle on it. You now have THE coolest suitcase for taking to game conventions.

---

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Literally the greatest BGG post ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
An update: since the normal-sized box fits in another box with other games, lately I've been taking this to local game nights, where it's been getting some play. Which I suspect puts it in the top 1% of copies-of-this-game-seeing-action, which wouldn't be happening with the original box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Whatever, I always have a copy in my trunk for those impromptu games....Or if I need to hide a body.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Whatever, I always have a copy in my trunk for those impromptu games....Or if I need to hide a body.

Hmm... it *is* approaching wintertime. Maybe it's time to put ODE back in my trunk for traction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.