Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But for now there is NO technology, just a lucky roll of the dice to take you to the winners circle and to the chase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add public shaming to the list of signs BoardGameGeek has lost its original community spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he can just get it made and in the Walmarts he'd be a billionaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tolendante wrote:
Add public shaming to the list of signs BoardGameGeek has lost its original community spirit.

This is nothing compared to the card chess debacle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
You guys missed this one.....

Worst Kickstarter video EVER!!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1741730267/the-planet-ki...

backers
$491
pledged of $88,000 goal

I'm in great discomfort after watching this. Is it for real? Really? Or is it some sort of bad joke?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have we already forgotten about http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/957708157/dominoker-game ?

Or, how about http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944310717/holy-cat-ball... ?

I find it humorous that a lot of these 'it'll never fund' projects are so often created by so many people that have this - "First created · 0 backed" beside their name.

A little bit of research goes a looooooong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
tolendante wrote:

This isn't a fair assessment at all. This KS is completely disconnected from our community, save for it being a game with a board. But it's the kind of board game that the modern hobby has been sent to destroy, and heaping disdain on its ilk isn't a modern BGG phenomenon--it's been there from the beginning! Surely the only games that rank lower in hobby gamer esteem than the terrible roll-and-move monstrosities that we grew up with (and out of) are awful amateur attempts at creating new ones.

So I dunno, maybe the BGG spirit is flagging, but I don't think this thread is evidence of it.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would be right if the thread was just attacking the game and not the designer/project starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
tolendante wrote:

This is nothing compared to the card chess debacle

The difference there was that guy brought the game here and opened himself up to a lot of ridicule by his own bad behavior (dummy accounts). Also, I found that whole episode unpleasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twitchsey wrote:
I can already name 2 games that cover this market. Formula D covers the roll and move racing market (and is a great game I might add), and even the old Daytona 500 game is nascar with bidding for cars, car movement with cards to play, drafting, and is a oddly entertaining game (especially for me, not being a nascar fan).

I guess good luck to the guy. but it basically looks like he wants to make Daytona 500... which already exists.

There's at least one more.

Daytona Challenge

I have the 1:144 (Micro Machine) size. There was hope of more tracks (IIRC) but it was a bit pricy for its time and too cerebral for the typical NASCAR fan.

[And the vacuum formed realistic banking tended to have the free-wheeling cars wandering from their current track space.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ritter
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tolendante wrote:

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, it is having a laugh at someone else's expense. On the other hand, he probably should be made aware that his game has virtually zero market appeal.

What if he sunk a significant amount of money into making the games because people were too polite to tell him it's a bad idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got snowed in at a convention at Wright State University a number of years ago, where the 30 gamemasters in attendance (that was about it, really) went from table to table to play each other's game, which is where my love affair with the McGartlin Stock Car racing game. This was before my casual interest in NASCAR (which lies exclusively with being able to listen to Darrell Waltrip talk about anything and enjoy it, similar to Al Kaline and baseball), and it's still a great game (alongside Formula De, Formula Motor Racing, and various others).

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get making fun of other projects like this. I'm sure he's a nice guy and probably had this idea for a while and has played it with family and friends and thought it'd be fun to publish. I doubt he is someone that knows a site like this exists. Honestly, sometimes I like seeing these projects more than the more popular projects that are simply companies using it as a pre-sale method or a way for people to simply see how many tiers they can unlock having little to do with the actual project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
It looks as exciting as watching real NASCAR.

Drive Fast, Turn Left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richtoosoon wrote:
cornixt wrote:
It looks as exciting as watching real NASCAR.

Drive Fast, Turn Left.

Putting it that way, this game is probably better -- there is no dice rolling in actual NASCAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
tolendante wrote:

If the guy was part of this community he wouldn't be proposing anything so ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tolendante wrote:

Piffle. Its public discussion, of a public (and badly thought out) project.

And its a board game, which is kinda the whole point to this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is really ambitious. I don't think its the worse designed KS project I have seen though. At least it has colorful art (despite none of it being original) to kind of keep one interested, especially if you are into NASCAR. The poorest designed KS project I have seen to date is this one

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90731803/the-push

The idea may appeal to some people, but unless people donate out of the goodness of their heart and expect nothing in return, this project only has 5 rewards that add up to $380 while the project needs $15,000 to fund!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks bad, but it's no 20th Century @ War

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048299337/20th-century-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:

I call shenanigans. It's 12 hours later and there are no backers yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
Wow, that is really ambitious. I don't think its the worse designed KS project I have seen though. At least it has colorful art (despite none of it being original) to kind of keep one interested, especially if you are into NASCAR. The poorest designed KS project I have seen to date is this one

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90731803/the-push

The idea may appeal to some people, but unless people donate out of the goodness of their heart and expect nothing in return, this project only has 5 rewards that add up to $380 while the project needs $15,000 to fund!

How is that even a game?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone previously pointed out, the creators of these Kickstarter mishaps are very often:

First created · 0 backed

I think that this is the root cause of the somewhat unrealistic expectations on the community's will to fund their projects.

To put it in a politically correct way. No, now I'm off to look at some really good games instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stanfill
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zwinx wrote:
As someone previously pointed out, the creators of these Kickstarter mishaps are very often:

First created · 0 backed

I think that this is the root cause of the somewhat unrealistic expectations on the community's will to fund their projects.

To put it in a politically correct way. No, now I'm off to look at some really good games instead!

Exactly. It a sure sign that the creator really isn't in touch with what modern boardgaming is like - and he assumes that multi-billion dollar corporations will just entrust their precious brands to his care. I feel awful for him in that he probably thinks that he's got a really great idea, and his family and friends may think it's fantastic, but the reality is that his project is just not realistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Aside from the logistics of it, does this guy really think it's normal to go to walmart, target, or game store, and buy simple roll the dice games for $125? How many of those types has he bought? Even Monopoly has more to it than this game. Common sense has left the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tolendante wrote:
You would be right if the thread was just attacking the game and not the designer/project starter.

I understand the desire to champion the weak and downtrodden in true jedi fashion, but where do you see personal attacks on the designer?

Other than questioning his assertion that Nascar is the most popular event on the planet (which is quesrionable) the rest of the comments involve the Kickstarter.

Back on topic, a hidden gem at the bottom of the KS page cites one of the card effects is "ordering a pizza." I've never watched a Nascar race but I think that might be a distraction for the driver....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [268] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.