Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
I don't understand how they can be so far in the process of opening (they have games and a location), but still need this amount of money. It's not like they lack $400 for buying some ad space, but they're asking for $15.000, which is ridiculous. It should almost be possible to start a gaming cafe from the bottoms up with that amount.

Have you actually looked at their collection of games?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbAcfj4giPo/?taken-by=funnybones...

*shudders* That will need some serious updating.

But that is still a lot of CA$. For that amount of money I expect to see how they plan to renovate and restructure.
Also projects like this live from personality. They seem likeable (even if the "Where laughter is mandatory" line from the video gives me goosebumps), so why not show more of themselves instead of a video with lots of people stating their favorite game is Monopoly.
Which brings me to my next point: If you want to create a gaming cafe and your main target are Monopoly-gamers you might be doing something wrong.
I mean are they really expecting people to pay CA$5 each to play a round of Monopoly?

Finally there have been several successfull gaming cafe campaigns on kickstarter. Would it really be that hard to look some of them up? If I, as a potiential backer, can do so and find what "Spielbound" or "Würfel & Zucker" have done it can only end in me not pledging for this campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
I don't understand how they can be so far in the process of opening (they have games and a location), but still need this amount of money. It's not like they lack $400 for buying some ad space, but they're asking for $15.000, which is ridiculous. It should almost be possible to start a gaming cafe from the bottoms up with that amount.

Quote:
a lot of permits, licenses, kitchen/bar facilities, public washrooms, etc.
I imagine this will eat up a lot of that $15K.

It's too bad those people were all they interviewed. A video where each person named a different game the creators had never heard of would've been a lot more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
rvervuurt wrote:

Quote:

It's too bad those people were all they interviewed. A video where each person named a different game the creators had never heard of would've been a lot more interesting.

Hmm, fair enough if they have to do that stuff, but they say in the video "we need some help for the last bits" (freely quoted from memory). I don't consider kitchen/bar facilities as one of the "last bits", when we're talking about a café...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
rvervuurt wrote:

Quote:

Hmm, fair enough if they have to do that stuff, but they say in the video "we need some help for the last bits" (freely quoted from memory). I don't consider kitchen/bar facilities as one of the "last bits", when we're talking about a café...

You would if you knew next to nothing about the food service industry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
rvervuurt wrote:

Quote:

Maybe they did get people mentioning games they'd never heard of. "We can't use that one. It's a great Beatles song, but I can't see how it'd be a board game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bewulf wrote:

I see... um... Dominion.

Otherwise that looks like the combined board game shelves of two or three average thrift stores. Complete with not one but two copies of MindTrap. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben King
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spilljeger wrote:
Now, I'm from Norway - a long way from Canada. But, even I have heard about the Snakes & Lattes board game cafès in Toronto.

So, looking at Funny Bones game library - if I ever come to Toronto, which board game cafè should I choose?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1356518104/funny-bones-...

And, apart from no business plan, no membership sale after Kickstarter, pledge levels longer than project description, Monopoly as a sales pitch, and quite close to well driven board game cafès, it might work...

But, then again, I'm a long way from Tipperary, eh... Toronto.

The thing I can't wrap my head around is the decision to not sell membership after this Kickstarter. Assuming they actually plan on sticking to this long-term, that is a terrible business plan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stein Surland
Norway
Hokksund
Buskerud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bewulf wrote:

---
Yes, you get a glimpse of their game collection in the video; Wheel of Fortune, Sorry, Twister, Clue, Uno...

Yeah, and some unknown game called Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spilljeger wrote:
Bewulf wrote:

---
Yes, you get a glimpse of their game collection in the video; Wheel of Fortune, Sorry, Twister, Clue, Uno...

I heard that one's about to blow up, with different rethemes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1730712382/are-you-a-de...

Are you a death Eater?

Outside of the obvious copywrite issues, they are worried that they might not get the project out by Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
ProfCrash wrote:

Are you a death Eater?

Outside of the obvious copywrite issues, they are worried that they might not get the project out by Christmas.

Considering they haven't chosen a manufacturer yet, I'd say they're probably right to worry about that.

Another curious thing is that they've copied the basic game idea from One Night Werewolf, except they've removed most special abilities of the various roles, so unless players just happen to make lucky guesses, there doesn't seem to be much information for the players to base their choices on. A round seems to be basically this:

1. The Death Eaters get to know who the other Death Eaters are.

2. The Death Eaters gets to choose to kill one player.

3. The Potion Master gets to randomly choose someone to heal, without knowing who's who.

4. The Centaur randomly gets to points to a player, and gets to know whether that player is a Death Eater.

Presumably, the wizards win if they guess who are the Death Eaters, but the only information they have is that they know whether the person the Centaur picked is or isn't a Death Eater, and that IF the Potion Master picked the same person that the Death Eaters decided to kill, they also know who that is.

This must also be pretty dull for the wizards. In One Night Werewolf, each player had some ability or goal depending on their role, but here, all the wizards are just passive bystanders until the final guessing starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

Are you a death Eater?

Considering they haven't chosen a manufacturer yet, I'd say they're probably right to worry about that.

Another curious thing is that they've copied the basic game idea from One Night Werewolf, except they've removed most special abilities of the various roles, so unless players just happen to make lucky guesses, there doesn't seem to be much information for the players to base their choices on. A round seems to be basically this:

3. The Potion Master gets to randomly choose someone to heal, without knowing who's who.

4. The Centaur randomly gets to points to a player, and gets to know whether that player is a Death Eater.

Presumably, the wizards win if they guess who are the Death Eaters, but the only information they have is that they know whether the person the Centaur picked is or isn't a Death Eater, and that IF the Potion Master picked the same person that the Death Eaters decided to kill, they also know who that is.

This must also be pretty dull for the wizards. In One Night Werewolf, each player had some ability or goal depending on their role, but here, all the wizards are just passive bystanders until the final guessing starts.

It's like somebody who liked Werewolf, but didn't know One Night Werewolf was already a thing, tried to make a one night version of Werewolf but didn't really think it through very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ALGO wrote:
Kalakazo wrote:
lstensson wrote:
EMBison wrote:
Spilljeger wrote:
Now, I'm from Norway - a long way from Canada.

Hmmm, random thought: I wonder what the closest points between Norway and Canada are. Can't be too far frozen tundra to frozen tundra.

We're getting pretty far off topic here, but assuming we stick to places with names on the map, after a quick look at the map, I think the shortest distance is between Alert on the north cost of Nunavut, Canada to Ny-Ålesund, on the northwest coast of Svalbard, Norway, with a distance of a bit less than 1 300 km.

Wow! that is actually pretty near! I wouldn't think that the distance is so short

It's not a route I'd want to drive!

Yeah, my hometown is in the northwest side of Mexico and I live all the way on the northeast side, it is acutally like a 1300 km drive (like driving from Texas to California), I have only done it once. But I mean, they are both in the same country and Toronto to Norway seems like a lot, anyway. I was surprised by the close distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spilljeger wrote:

The good news is they have three copies of Chutes and Ladders. So you won't have to wait to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
lstensson wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

Are you a death Eater?

It's like somebody who liked Werewolf, but didn't know One Night Werewolf was already a thing, tried to make a one night version of Werewolf but didn't really think it through very well.

Update: I got a little Q&A in the comments and it turns out it isn’t a one-night werewolf variant, it’s a straight retheme of standard wolf with just a couple boring roles included. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stein Surland
Norway
Hokksund
Buskerud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another change to a game of chess...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674398600/random-coping...

This time you draw cards to effect the game, like Blizzard, Boojum and Pick on someone your own size.

It's called Random Coping Chess. Chess with a sprinkling of D&D. Take a look at the presentation video - far out, man.

I just hope I'll cope with all these changes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
And here's a Kickstarter for a deck of cards. Regular playing cards, but with pictures of warriors, under the catchy name of War of Warriors:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/269821913/war-of-warrio...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
And here's a Kickstarter for a deck of cards. Regular playing cards, but with pictures of warriors, under the catchy name of War of Warriors:

So not to nitpick, but there are plenty more "Worst" games. The game itself is meh, but the artwork looks good. I could see getting it for the unique deck of playing cards if the price point were lower ($20 is too much for a deck of regular playing cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spilljeger wrote:

This time you draw cards to effect the game, like Blizzard, Boojum and Pick on someone your own size.

It's called Random Coping Chess. Chess with a sprinkling of D&D. Take a look at the presentation video - far out, man.

Considering Cylon is a trademark, the chances of getting shut down for trademark infringement just from what is presented is greater than zero here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
scubadawg1 wrote:
lstensson wrote:

So not to nitpick, but there are plenty more "Worst" games. The game itself is meh, but the artwork looks good. I could see getting it for the unique deck of playing cards if the price point were lower ($20 is too much for a deck of regular playing cards).

So not to nitpick whistle, but we're not just talking bad games, but also about bad Kickstarters.

The high price point was one of the reasons I posted it here. Another was that much like Monopoly, the regular deck of cards is a standard product that gets commercially rethemed all the time, so it makes little sense to have a Kickstarter for it.

And while the artwork looked competently drawn, it's a rather ordinary cartoon style, so it's not really anything you'd Kickstart for artistic reasons.

Also, there was this bit from the campaign page:

Quote:
The "wild" cards will have special rules and will be based on.... well let's just say they will be really cool. If we reach our goal that might just be revealed!

So the one bit that might actually contain some non-cliché creative element is something that MIGHT be revealed if the campaign succeeds.
Probably not the best way of attracting backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
scubadawg1 wrote:
lstensson wrote:

So not to nitpick whistle, but we're not just talking bad games, but also about bad Kickstarters.

The high price point was one of the reasons I posted it here. Another was that much like Monopoy, the regular deck of cards is a standard product that gets commercially rethemed all the time, so it makes little sense to have a Kickstarter for it.

And while the artwork looked competently drawn, it's a rather ordinary cartoon style, so it's not really anything you'd Kickstart for artistic reasons.

Also, there was this bit from the campaign page:

Quote:
The "wild" cards will have special rules and will be based on.... well let's just say they will be really cool. If we reach our goal that might just be revealed!

So the one bit that might actually contain some non-cliché creative element is something that MIGHT be revealed if the campaign succeeds.

Fair enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spilljeger wrote:

I think it looks interesting, and I hope it succeeds. If I hadn't gotten totally frustrated and bored with chess, this might be something I'd enjoy. The problem I see with the campaign is that there are five expansion decks so far, but no way for completists to get them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
And yet another... first created, rewards list longer than campaign page, no description of gameplay, delivery two months after campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1771383530/gunfights-an...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
lstensson wrote:

Agreed.

It's been my personal experience that whenever somebody says "this is going to be really cool, trust me. I'll tell you about it later." The answer is pretty much always decidedly not cool. Sometimes even woefully pathetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
lstensson wrote:
And yet another... first created, rewards list longer than campaign page, no description of gameplay, delivery two months after campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1771383530/gunfights-an...

And it was cancelled an hour ago. Huh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  261 , 262 , 263 , 264 , 265  Next »  [270] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.