Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfCrash wrote:
I just came to post this one. His description is lacking punctuation and there are no listed risks. But he will hire people from the unemployment roles if you find him.

and only two misspellings in your post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Pavone
United States
Ruby
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lstensson wrote:
This is a bit sad, but unfortunately, that doesn't help making it any better as a Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1880000487/miniature-pa...

Some unemployed guy wants to set up a gaming shop, and wants £25,000 to do it. But: no business plan, unclear reward levels, practically no details about anything. Not even about the planned location of the shop, except "Mexborough, UK" (in South Yorkshire, population about 15 000, according to Wikipedia).

Quote:
Risks and challenges

there are no foreseeable risks

Well, even though I believe that campaign is probably doomed in its current form, especially given the funding goal of £25,000, I backed for £1 and posted some advice to him. Maybe that will help him get back with a better campaign later.

He's admitting to not being able to gain or keep employment yet he wants to start a business. Not only that he's determined that his area, "is desperate for a shop like this". I wonder what market research he's done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Esbech
Denmark
Odense M
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pavo6503 wrote:
I wonder what market research he's done?

Unfortunately a lot people trying to start a company just talk to a few friends who might be in their customer range.

I've met someone who believed the driving school he was about to open would be the most succesful in town because his website was responsive. You know those 17 year olds are all about responsive designed websites and getting their drivers license is something secondary. Also prices doesn't matter as long as your website is responsive!

He still has a driving school, so he might have been right. :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:
I just came to post this one. His description is lacking punctuation and there are no listed risks. But he will hire people from the unemployment roles if you find him.

To be fair, ProfCrash isn't asking for 25,000 pounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

Perhaps he meant to, but mistyped?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
grant5 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

and only two misspellings in your post :what:

Yup, I am not. I would ask someone to proof read my product if I was asking for funding or it was a formal paper. I am aware that my spelling is poor, there is a long list of reasons and an IEP that explain it, but I don't stress over it when posting on the internet. I tend to not care. But that is me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfCrash wrote:
grant5 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

Yup, I am not. I would ask someone to proof read my product if I was asking for funding or it was a formal paper. I am aware that my spelling is poor, there is a long list of reasons and an IEP that explain it, but I don't stress over it when posting on the internet. I tend to not care. But that is me.

TBH - I'm struggling to even find the misspellings in your post. I don't know what an unemployment role is but I assumed that was from the project?

EDIT: Ah - should be rolls. I hadn't heard that term before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:
grant5 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

TBH - I'm struggling to even find the misspellings in your post. I don't know what an unemployment role is but I assumed that was from the project?

That accounts for one. What's the second?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:
grant5 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

and only two misspellings in your post :what:

Should be "if you fund him," not "if you find him."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ENugent wrote:
DyingTickles wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:
grant5 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

Ahh, I see! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ENugent wrote:
DyingTickles wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

Haha, I was thinking:

"But he will hire people from the unemployment rolls if you find THEM."

I.e. if you find any unemployed people and send them his way, then he will hire them.

"FUND him" definitely makes more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ENugent wrote:
DyingTickles wrote:
ProfCrash wrote:

Haha, I was thinking:

"But he will hire people from the unemployment rolls if you find THEM."

I.e. if you find any unemployed people and send them his way, then he will hire them.

"FUND him" definitely makes more sense.

Yeah, I mean, it made sense, I just didn't catch that it could have made more sense I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've found a new insult: "Fund him!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:
I think I've found a new insult: "Fund him!"

Perhaps better and more appropriate for this forum, might be "go fund yourself".

In fact a "Go Fund Yourself" award may even be a good formal name for the Worsties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This popped up after I backed a game just now. I saw it, thought "that's pretty", and read the kickstarter. Then I saw the price and thought "man, that looks great, I should back this". Then, as I was scrolling back up to pledge, I realized something seemed really familiar about this game. Sitting on the shelf in my hallway is an assembled Arbos.

Behold:

Okay, whatever, recycled ideas happen all the time. Arbos was an obscure european game that never got to the states. I don't think there are english copies per say. But what kills me is there is an extensive section of the kickstarter devoted to how the guy came up with Stumped from scratch based on an idea he had in the shower.

Really? This is original?

Edit: I guess I wasn't the first to notice this similarity. The internet patent lawyerites are all en fugeo in the KS comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for "Go Fund Yourself" becoming the snarl of choice to these folks.

"I want $25,000 because the people in my home town (pop. 527) badly need an artisanal chess board and cheese board supplier"

Um... Go fund yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
This popped up after I backed a game just now. I saw it, thought "that's pretty", and read the kickstarter. Then I saw the price and thought "man, that looks great, I should back this". Then, as I was scrolling back up to pledge, I realized something seemed really familiar about this game. Sitting on the shelf in my hallway is an assembled Arbos.

Arbos Apfel had its own booth at Spiel this year, so I don't exactly think the publisher has abandoned it…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
ALGO wrote:

"I want $25,000 because the people in my home town (pop. 527) badly need an artisanal chess board and cheese board supplier"

Um... Go fund yourself.

Awww man...

And I was just about to launch a project where I made artisanal chessboards out of artisanal cheeses.

I was going to call it Check-Ease-Cheeses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:

Behold:

Okay, whatever, recycled ideas happen all the time. Arbos was an obscure european game that never got to the states. I don't think there are english copies per say. But what kills me is there is an extensive section of the kickstarter devoted to how the guy came up with Stumped from scratch based on an idea he had in the shower.

Really? This is original?

Edit: I guess I wasn't the first to notice this similarity. The internet patent lawyerites are all en fugeo in the KS comments.

this really doesn't belong here. It's a well design Kickstarter with a real game, that happens to feature a component similar to another game/toy. Not a worst KS at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daefaroth wrote:
ALGO wrote:

Um... Go fund yourself.

Awww man...

And I was just about to launch a project where I made artisanal chessboards out of artisanal cheeses.

Gouda Idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Daefaroth wrote:

Somebody beat you to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stein Surland
Norway
Hokksund
Buskerud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one Kickstarter getting pixelated...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1624900122/pixel-hero-c...

I like the risks; "One foreseen issue is copyright. I am hoping to use the money collected in funding to purchase a copyright for the game."

Getting at cease and desist letter after funding (not) - No refund for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spilljeger wrote:

I like the risks; "One foreseen issue is copyright. I am hoping to use the money collected in funding to purchase a copyright for the game."

I think he means he'll pay to get it copyright protected. Not buy a license from another copyright holder…

I guess there's good news and bad news waiting for him (assuming Pixel Hero is already a thing that belongs to some other copyright holder)…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Spilljeger wrote:

I think he means he'll pay to get it copyright protected. Not buy a license from another copyright holder…

I guess there's good news and bad news waiting for him (assuming Pixel Hero is already a thing that belongs to some other copyright holder)…

If they created their own characters and their own art and their own rulebook copyright shouldn't be an issue (or strictly speaking, even necessary). However, I think they will run into problems on the Trademark side, but that will just require changing the name of the game to something more unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Stensson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Spilljeger wrote:

In that case, there's more news for him: copyright protection is automatic; there is no need to pay for it. (In the US before 1978, you had to register copyrighted material to get it officially copyrighted, which may have involved some sort of nominal processing fee, but that is no longer the case.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  262 , 263 , 264 , 265 , 266  Next »  [396] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.